2011 PDC Unicorn Under 21 World Championship

Results from the players championships, UK Open and many more
nikkiboy
International

2011 PDC Unicorn Under 21 World Championship

Post by nikkiboy »

Monk Claims PDC Unicorn U21 Title
03 Jan 2011

ARRON MONK became the inaugural PDC Unicorn Under-21 World Champion with a 6-4 triumph over Dutchman Michael van Gerwen at Alexandra Palace.

The 20-year-old took the £10,000 title, a silver salver and a sponsorship from Rileys as well as writing his name into the record books by defeating his Dutch rival in front of 2,500 fans.

The pair had won through to the final in November when the last 64 players, following a series of international qualifiers and qualifying events in Rileys Darts Zones across the UK, competed down to the last two in Barnsley.[wrapimg=right]http://www.pdc.tv/javaImages/f1/f9/0,,1 ... 561,00.jpg[/wrapimg]

Monk maintained the form to average 93 in the final and double van Gerwen's disappointment, following a first round defeat at Alexandra Palace a fortnight earlier in the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship to Mensur Suljovic.

Arron, the son of veteran professional Colin, won the opening leg by hitting double top and repeated the trick to win the second against the darts.

Monk hit back-to-back 180s in the third leg which was won with a 13-dart finish, before van Gerwen managed to get on the board with a 104 checkout to win the fourth.

Monk regained his three-leg advantage by hitting double 18 but the Dutchman took out 90 in two darts to keep himself in touch at 4-2.

Van Gerwen then won the next two legs, hitting double eight on both occasions, to level the game at four apiece and lift his own hopes of claiming the title.

Monk regained the lead in superb fashion with a 121 checkout, completed on the bullseye, to move one leg away from victory, which was duly secured in the next as he recorded a 67 finish to end the contest.

"I'm over the moon," said Monk. "I didn't score too well but my doubles, which I've been practising with Simon Whitlock, came through for me.

"Every time I play Michael I always seem to go 3-0 up and he gets used to the board and the throw and comes back at me. He seems to get level and I pull away from him every time, and I did it again.

"The 121 was such a huge shot. Simon Whitlock won the deciding leg of a game against me once by going 17, treble 18 and bull and I though I would go his way, and it was brilliant when it went in.

"Simon has been great practising with me and giving me confidence and I owe a lot to him, but I can't wait for the rest of this year. It's going to be a huge year for me."

from www.pdc.tv
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am