Ladies darts shoots itself in the foot?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
WCDPA
International

Re: Ladies darts shoots itself in the foot?

Post by WCDPA »

ChrisW wrote:There has been almost 73 comments on that post. And quick scan all in support.
But the post seems to say they were protesting against the Romanian Darts Org?
the posts from deta and Lorraine have had over 800 likes been shared by over 50 people and over 150 comments 95% in approval.
tapsa said a protest could have been better organised completely missing the point ......it wasn't organised.
I think the money the girls put at risk proved that, Deta would have earnt a £1000 bonus IF she had won ,Ana no doubt would have a similar deal lisa and Lorraine admitted they would have got decent money for being televised. So yes probably was a poorly thought out protest but it was a decision made from the heart.
Tapsa how do you think they should have protested ??
dartsfacts
Superleague Player

Post by dartsfacts »

What have the Romanians ever done for us?
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Starting to think it wasn't well thought out.
But has created the right effect.
Massive talking point thanks to people like Ginge and others posting in threads.

I am now more going the line of seeing this in the long term will do some good for the Ladies game.
Could even make a good story. TV love this kind stuff.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

ChrisW wrote:Starting to think it wasn't well thought out.
Massive talking point thanks to people like Ginge and others posting in threads.

I am now more going the line of seeing this in the long term will do some good for the Ladies game.
But this story hasn't and won't reach mainstream news/tv coverage. Its a nothing story. I agree the format and playing conditions might not be fair but the way the WDF/BDO is run it has to accepted. With the BDO sanctioning the event, BDOE getting it on tv, the LDO being there and then the Romanian organisers no wonder you haven't got decent conditions. There are to many people having a say and no one actually being a leader. The rules are never in place from day 1 and even when there are no one has the guts to stick by them.

If the Ladies want things to change go and do it. But don't do it with the BDO do it as a separate body. They've had a chance in the past to get a level playing field in therms of conditions etc and many turned there noses up at it. The Ladies game is somewhat on a up turn but waiting for the BDO/BDOE to do anything isn't going to work.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

The Jolly Man wrote:
ChrisW wrote:Starting to think it wasn't well thought out.

But this story hasn't and won't reach mainstream news/tv coverage. Its a nothing story. I agree the format and playing conditions might not be fair but the way the WDF/BDO is run it has to accepted. With the BDO sanctioning the event, BDOE getting it on tv, the LDO being there and then the Romanian organisers no wonder you haven't got decent conditions. There are to many people having a say and no one actually being a leader. The rules are never in place from day 1 and even when there are no one has the guts to stick by them.

If the Ladies want things to change go and do it. But don't do it with the BDO do it as a separate body. They've had a chance in the past to get a level playing field in therms of conditions etc and many turned there noses up at it. The Ladies game is somewhat on a up turn but waiting for the BDO/BDOE to do anything isn't going to work.
Already have their separate body don't they?
Ginge
International

Ladies darts shoots itself in the foot?

Post by Ginge »

Are the BDO and WDF still working out how to word what happened on Sunday given the results of even the men's event haven't gone on either of their websites yet? It was a televised event for crying out loud.
Big Jock Knew
Bigwilma
Pub Champion

Post by Bigwilma »

Can't understand the Romanians decision not to let the ladies play on the stage given that the time was available. As for the protest, very honourable from the ladies. I'm assuming that the tournament director or whoever was in charge couldn't for their own crazy reasons didn't see the common sense in letting the ladies play onstage. Hopefully however it will make others take notice and give the ladies a bit more respect.
tapsa
Superleague Player

Post by tapsa »

WCDPA wrote:
ChrisW wrote:There has been almost 73 comments on that post. And quick scan all in support.
the posts from deta and Lorraine have had over 800 likes been shared by over 50 people and over 150 comments 95% in approval.
tapsa said a protest could have been better organised completely missing the point ......it wasn't organised.
I think the money the girls put at risk proved that, Deta would have earnt a £1000 bonus IF she had won ,Ana no doubt would have a similar deal lisa and Lorraine admitted they would have got decent money for being televised. So yes probably was a poorly thought out protest but it was a decision made from the heart.
Support in a social media is one thing. To get a proper change in organisers minds concerning whole tour is another thing. Who makes desicions which competitions get ranking points? Who writes codes and conditions for these comps? Who controls these conditions are reached? Who then reflects how the season has gone and what kind of further advicement organisers do need?

I don't think Romania darts org is answer in any of those questions. Not just ladies, but all players should demand ranked (at least) comps have enough room to play, normal air con etc. And then try to effect those with a power. I'm not starting to advice in which way, but may be to threat not playing at all ik a comp organised by a organization giving rankingpoints. And trying to get all players behind the threat
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

dartsfacts wrote:What have the Romanians ever done for us?
I was going to post that yesterday.

But then I decided it wasn't very funny.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

tapsa wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
Support in a social media is one thing. To get a proper change in organisers minds concerning whole tour is another thing. Who makes desicions which competitions get ranking points? Who writes codes and conditions for these comps? Who controls these conditions are reached? Who then reflects how the season has gone and what kind of
further advicement organisers do need?

I don't think Romania darts org is answer in any of those questions. Not just ladies, but all players should demand ranked (at least) comps have enough room to play, normal air con etc. And then try to effect those with a power. I'm not starting to advice in which way, but may be to threat not playing at all ik a comp organised by a organization giving rankingpoints. And trying to get all players behind the threat
Tapsa have you been drinking??????? Get all players behind the threat , wow how many men stand up for the ladies? If the ladies played their semis at 4 pm their final would have been 3 to 4 hours later, this has become commonpractise at many events ,if the men had to wait as long there would be dummies thrown out of the pram left right and center.
Most not all of the mens players in our system are full of self interest .
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

WCDPA wrote: Most not all of the mens players in our system are full of self interest .
Well the eight who got to the QF's in Romania didnt stand shoulder to shoulder in solidarity with the ladies as they played on :IIII:

I assume this protest was so effective that its been covered away from darts forums and Facebook sites? I havent seen anything. They still havent published the Romania results on the WDF or BDO sites.
Big Jock Knew
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Ginge wrote:
WCDPA wrote: Most not all of the mens players in our system are full of self interest .
Well the eight who got to the QF's in Romania didnt stand shoulder to shoulder in solidarity with the ladies as they played on :IIII:

I assume this protest was so effective that its been covered away from darts forums and Facebook sites? I havent seen anything. They still havent published the Romania results on the WDF or BDO sites.

The WDF website is always slow normally at least a week,
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

I see now how this is becoming a bigger issue than these 4 ladies: the treatment of the ladies within the WDF system. So maybe this protest will work out for the good of the ladies game. Maybe changes will be made, changes that it seems are long over due. But...

I have also read Deta's statement (I guess from her FB page?) which puts a lot of emphasis on the ladies improved standard, how bad ladies darts is treated, and an admittance they are not after equality with men but just want decent playing conditions.

Now also a point is made that this wasn't pre planned. But I haven't read anywhere that people were saying it was?

Not sure if paul will answer the point kind of brought home by Paddy and others but the confusion Paul is this:

If the protest wasn't about TV (though Deta does say they were annoyed by that, and Loraine said it was part of the protest in her 1st post) but was a protest about how badly the ladies had been treated by the Romanian darts org how come in the initial statements the ladies said the Romanians had done a fabulous job and the ladies apologised to them for the course of action (with a clear implication the Romanians were not to blame)? Who was the protest against: the WDF, Eurosport, the men or the Romanians?

How can the Romanians be doing a fabulous job but at the same time being doing it so badly that the 4 ladies wrecked this event? Are the ladies trying to just focus on how badly they have been treated, generally, within the BDO/WDF system and trying to 'bury' the fact that part of the protest was that they were not on TV for the semi's?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

The rumanians done a fabulous job organising the Europe cup as well as anybody if not better, moving the lafies out of the cramped backroom for last 16 matches in the main room, the gala dinner was amazing superb entertainment and they were fantastic hosts , thats why the girls apologised.
However the decision on sunday was in the ladies opinion wrong and the seeming reluctance to comprimise.
Devo it has been mentioned of protest being pre planned you just need to read more carefully ;)
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

dartsfacts wrote:Deta Hedman

What an amazing status from my fellow England international , Roomie, and great friend Lorraine Winstanley yesterday on the events in Rumania.
The response from around the world has been amazing.
However the stories saying it was pre planned are ludicrous , yes if the prize money wasn't increased I and some others would not have played in it, emails were sent and LDO made representations to Rumania darts who increased the prize money and we were well happy to play for a 500€ 1st prize.
Now for a few facts , the europe cup had the ladies in a room that was small had air con on virtually every board, when we got to last 16 it was deemed neccesary to move us into the main room which housed the stage to play alongside the men.
This room was far better and some amazing ladies darts were thrown .
During the europe cup a lady had the tie best average of the entire event 33.40.......well done Lorraine , apart from that we had 4 x 29 aves thrown, and in team event with Trina,Lisa,Lorraine and myself had a team ave of 27.08 .
We were again in the small room for the open on sunday , aircon was playing havoc and Paul spoke to Wayne williams during early rounds as around boards myself ,Lisa and lorraine were on the aircon was crazy.., this was conveyed to organisers by wayne but through no fault of his was still on 3 hours later.
After last 8 round which was so cramped and many couldnt even view the boards , we presumed as there were ages before TV started our semis would be on stage, we did air our grievances that we weren't being televised but accepted that fact, we told organisers were prepared to play on stage without tv there was plenty of time, the way the 4 of us were playing even f both semis went 4/3 4/3 would have finished in 40 mins.
We were told schedule couldn't be changed .........yet it was he day before ?????? The room at the back couldn't have had more than 20 people to spectate, in the main room they had large screens that were used the day before.
All 4 of us knew we would lose our money and more but decided to go ahead.
The thing that upset us most was none of us 4 left the venue and nobody even tried to get us to change our mind. The fans in the main room had nothing to watch for 2 hours and I could see no logical reason why they wouldn't accept our offer to play on stage untelevised
Seemingly we are still 2nd class citizens in our sport, we done what we feel was right . We dont want same money as men, we don't expect same tv opportunity as men ! We are not as good as them but are producing a great product at moment, we do EXPECT a decent format, decent conditions etc if the men had played in marquee at selsey, or by the toilets in the spa or a small backroom in rumania there would have been 100's of status's on here.
I stand by our decision but just wish we didnt have to make it, 1 or 2 negative statements have been far outweighed by comments from lady players from all over the world supporting our stand , many thanks to the welsh ladies team for their unwavering support much appreciation to julie and her team , same to Jeanette, Colette from the swiss.
This wasn't a pre planned action , just 4 ladies who thought we had been pushed to far one time too many.
Deta. :D
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Paul,

What discussions have been had with the 4 ladies and the WDF since the weekend??
Fine have a moan with the Romanians but dont walk out on the event. If there are issues they should take it up with the WDF to make sure certain standards in terms of venue are met.

How often have the ladies asked for a meeting with the WDF/BDO to determine these?
The Master
Superleague Player

Post by The Master »

Just to make one thing clear about the backroom in Bucharest, when you read all comments you get the idea that there was only the girls who played in the small room but the fact is that they also hade mens singles and pairs in the same room.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

The ladies were pissed off because the semis werent on the telly. All the other stuff is a smokescreen to cover up the huge cock up they made.
Incredible Justine
Steady Sixties

Post by Incredible Justine »

exactly col - the ego's have landed
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

I think they were all on the rag
JFT97