Darts Constructors Order of Merit

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
The Suit
Pub Champion

Darts Constructors Order of Merit

Post by The Suit »

A Constructors Championship for Darts?

As in motor racing, golf and other sports darts manufacturers are closely involved with the development of both technology and then the people who use the results. As players get more and more polished and professional so the manufacturers strive to up their game and assist.

So in the spirit of crediting those who drive the game on, along side the players, we have made a PDC Manufacturers Order of Merit for the 2012 season so far.

At the highest level the Qtr finals and beyond are the vital stages of competitions, with this in mind the table is constructed by giving points from the last 8 of each of the Pro Tour, European Tour, Major Events and, yet to come, The Ladbrokes World Championships.

What follows is by no means the finished, or 100% accurate, article but provides some interesting info.

Ind/Others is used for non allied players or other companies.

Overall Table
Floor + Euro + Majors + (? Worlds?)

1.Unicorn = 2415pts
2.Winmau = 835
3.Target = 770
4.Red Dragon = 705
5.MasterDarts = 540
6.Cosmo = 350
7.Ind/Others = 235
8.A180 = 220
9.ONe80 = 215
10.Tommy's = 135

Pro Tour - Floor
Last 8 = 5 Last 4 = 10 R/Up =20 Winner =40

1.Unicorn = 780pts
2.Target = 440 pts
3.Red Dragon = 395pts
=4.Winmau & Master Darts = 285pts
6.Ind / Other = 145pts
7.Cosmo = 140pts
8.a180 = 110
9.Tommy's Darts = 95
10.ONE80 = 70

European Tour - Floor/Stage
Last 8 = 10 Last 4 = 20 R/U = 40 Win = 80

1.Unicorn = 390
2.Target = 190
3.Winmau = 150
4.Red Dragon = 100
5.Cosmo = 90
=6a180 & ONE80 = 30
=8Ind/Other & MasterDarts = 10
10.Tommy's Darts = 0

Majors
Last 8 = 20 Last 4 = 40 R/Up = 75 Winner 150

1.Unicorn = 1245
2.Winmau = 400
3.MasterDarts = 245
4.Red Dragon = 210
5.Target = 140
6.Cosmo = 120
7.ONE80 = 115
8=Ind/Others & a180 = 80
10.Tommy's Darts = 40

World Championships
Last 8 = 30 Last 4 = 60 R/Up = 110 Winner= 225

?????????

As you can see the points for the World Championships are again multiplied. They are one and a half times major event points (approx). So which manufacturer will come with a late run in this years table?
trotter
International

Re: Darts Constructors Order of Merit

Post by trotter »

i have never seen this done in tennis or golf or any other sport ..Wilson rackets beats Slazenger at tennis !!...Ping rules in golf!!....i don't think darts equipment holds much interest to the average person to be honest.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

This will not end well when Ginge sees it I suspect.
The Suit
Pub Champion

Post by The Suit »

Has been a good theoretical thing to follow. The sports quoted above do in fact have huge rivalries and count up which brands win most majors etc. They also try to spread their budget and brand to their set of targets. Some go for more up and coming players some for major stars that appeal in different markets etc.

The same is true for darts whether people like it or not. Firms look to practise a certain philosophy and develop teams accordingly.

The table could be of use for players looking to get sponsored or receive more support. I am assured by one manufacturer (not the obvious one) that a pattern has emerged of which they were not aware and will look at when looking at next years team.
onedart84
The Ton Club

Post by onedart84 »

thing is what unicorn, target , red dragon produce for the player aint what the fan is getting of the shelf thats for sure
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

The Suit wrote:Has been a good theoretical thing to follow. The sports quoted above do in fact have huge rivalries and count up which brands win most majors etc. They also try to spread their budget and brand to their set of targets. Some go for more up and coming players some for major stars that appeal in different markets etc.
That might well be, but I agree with trotter, I've never once seen anything like that discussed in the "fan sphere" of any of those sports. Most fans care about equipment manufacturers only as far as what their favourite players happen to use, if even that.

(Heck, I'm way above average in caring about the business side of sports, and even I can't muster much interest, to be honest...)
Captain Ash
Pub Champion

Post by Captain Ash »

What I want to know is, when is the Eclipse HD Board going to make a TV appearance ???
Live your life, 'cause you've got a good one.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Aren't Red Dragon and Winmau part of the same collective anyway?
The Suit
Pub Champion

Post by The Suit »

onedart84 wrote:thing is what unicorn, target , red dragon produce for the player aint what the fan is getting of the shelf thats for sure
Red Dragon, produce exactly the same dart for Mark Hylton, as they send to any purchaser, we have tested this on a number of occasions as friends and fans all over the Uk have bought direct from RD. We compare to those we are sent and they are identical.
The same with Ian White's element 6 darts. They are slightly personalised with Diamond White on the barrell but can be purchased to customer specs. Again we know this to be true as Ian needed a spare set in a hurry and Lee fetched them from the warehouse, not yet personalised and as a customer would buy them. Again they were identical.

In addition at least one other manufacturer on the list has proved this too us in a moment of need. Surely A180's supply to Barney of his Unicorn darts when he left them at Co Stompe's would bear this out as well.
The Suit
Pub Champion

Post by The Suit »

The Cat wrote:Aren't Red Dragon and Winmau part of the same collective anyway?
They are related but not the same, different teams different marketing/sales models etc.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

This is the kind of crap people come up with when they have a lot of time on their hands. An awful lot of time.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Col wrote:This is the kind of crap people come up with when they have a lot of time on their hands. An awful lot of time.
Would you put a specific time period on it, perhaps reduce it under certain conditions?
Big Jock Knew
onedart84
The Ton Club

Post by onedart84 »

The Suit wrote:
onedart84 wrote:thing is what unicorn, target , red dragon produce for the player aint what the fan is getting of the shelf thats for sure
Red Dragon, produce exactly the same dart for Mark Hylton, as they send to any purchaser, we have tested this on a number of occasions as friends and fans all over the Uk have bought direct from RD. We compare to those we are sent and they are identical.
The same with Ian White's element 6 darts. They are slightly personalised with Diamond White on the barrell but can be purchased to customer specs. Again we know this to be true as Ian needed a spare set in a hurry and Lee fetched them from the warehouse, not yet personalised and as a customer would buy them. Again they were identical.

In addition at least one other manufacturer on the list has proved this too us in a moment of need. Surely A180's supply to Barney of his Unicorn darts when he left them at Co Stompe's would bear this out as well.

have to admit red dragon make some superb darts and ive never had a problem with them. my brother got a set of wade 20g darts and they weighed 20.3 20.9 21.3 !!!! but unicorn mass produce darts so i suppose there is errors along the way. but my taylor purist 24g are spoy on