Darts without Taylor - A future or failure?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Darts without Taylor - Increase, Decline or The same

Increased interest
25%
Decreased interest
26%
It will stay the same
50%

Total votes: 101

nikkiboy
International

Darts without Taylor - A future or failure?

Post by nikkiboy »

Quite simply, take Phil out of the equation and does TV darts and Sky stay the same, get better or decline
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Dicie
International

Re: Darts without Taylor - A future or failure?

Post by Dicie »

Can the PDC survive without him?

Well if Sky pull the plug i dont think the pdc can keep running these floor events at the massive loss they do run.

So its a failure for me.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

The likes of MVG, Lewis, Wade amongst others will keep the interest where it is.

Yes Taylor is probably partly responsible for the boom in darts, but the real credit goes to the salesman and not the product in my opinion. Although without the product you have fuck all to sell.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

I actually believe Sky will lose interest should Taylor retire, he is the biggest name in the game and the one they build their whole coverage around
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

nikkiboy wrote:I actually believe Sky will lose interest should Taylor retire, he is the biggest name in the game and the one they build their whole coverage around
Thats a big RUMOUR to put out there lad ;) ;)

Not a chance of that happening.

Maybe if they saw an alrming drop in viewing numbers yes, but they wont drop a product just because Taylor aint there anymore. He will simply be moved in to a new role in front of camera sitting alongside Dave.
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

Taylor still is the biggest star, not to me though.
His brilliant sparklings (110+) are behind him + he more and more seems an unpleasant person.

Let The MVG's and Lewis's of the world take over, there is a time and a place for anything and everyone....

With Taylor i feel retiring isn't about being able to win or not, it is whether one contributes in a positive way or not.
sammylad
Pub Champion

Post by sammylad »

I think Taylor will still be involved with PDC and/or Sky when he retires??
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

sammylad wrote:I think Taylor will still be involved with PDC and/or Sky when he retires??
He's still a shareholder isn't he?

He won't be going anywhere when he retires I don't think, he'll still be on the box a lot imo.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Col wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:I actually believe Sky will lose interest should Taylor retire, he is the biggest name in the game and the one they build their whole coverage around

Maybe if they saw an alrming drop in viewing numbers yes, but they wont drop a product just because Taylor aint there anymore. He will simply be moved in to a new role in front of camera sitting alongside Dave.

it is a big rumour, but one that may have some foundation in it...Taylor is massive and i do know people who only watch Taylor matches on the TV and have no interest in any other players whatsoever...they are out there.
The next generation will have to step up and also get the hype and exposure they need as well....MVG is pretty important here i think, but he is ceertainly not going to dominate like Taylor has, nobody is.
TV and media love a dominant figure in any sport who is almost bigger than the sport itself..a Usain Bolt etc....it helps sell any sport and Taylor has done wonders for darts but i do feel the PDC will be ok down the line
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

trotter wrote:
Col wrote:

it is a big rumour, but one that may have some foundation in it...Taylor is massive and i do know people who only watch Taylor matches on the TV and have no interest in any other players whatsoever...they are out there.
The next generation will have to step up and also get the hype and exposure they need as well....MVG is pretty important here i think, but he is ceertainly not going to dominate like Taylor has, nobody is.
TV and media love a dominant figure in any sport who is almost bigger than the sport itself..a Usain Bolt etc....it helps sell any sport and Taylor has done wonders for darts but i do feel the PDC will be ok down the line
Domination is ok, but you should know when to leave...
Imagine every movie with the same lead actor, that's PDC darts, yuk.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

I think the veiwing figures for the Lewis Anderson final topped the million mark and not many outside of Taylor have done that.

Darts will be fine post taylor - at least I bloody hope it will be.
junior2003
Brass Darts

Post by junior2003 »

trotter wrote:
Col wrote:
Taylor is massive and i do know people who only watch Taylor matches on the TV and have no interest in any other players whatsoever...they are out there.

Whilst I realise I am in a minority, this actually has the opposite affect with me. I'd rather not watch him and watch everybody else, but that's just my preference.

I've never been a fan, due to a number of factors, but absolutely admire what he has, and continues, to achieve. The levels he has taken to the sport to are incredible.

I don't think Sky will drop darts once he retires, but I do think he'll be in the studio/commentary box at every event.

I was given the opportunity to interview him once, and when I asked him about retiring, he simply said...Barry Hearn won't let me retire.
I thought he was joking, but may well be an element of truth in there somewhere!
Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

I think it'll stay the same but, Without a dominant number one then the standard won't improve.

Tennis with Federer and F1 with Schumacher/Ferrari are good examples of this.

Competition is good but if you don't have to hit 108 averages to to win then you won't strive to do so.
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

Case wrote: Domination is ok, but you should know when to leave...
Are you talking 2012? It was a good year imo.
Grand Prix, Euros, GSODs, UK Open, Worlds 2012
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

Stubby wrote:I think it'll stay the same but, Without a dominant number one then the standard won't improve.

Tennis with Federer and F1 with Schumacher/Ferrari are good examples of this.

Competition is good but if you don't have to hit 108 averages to to win then you won't strive to do so.
Good point, i can see bonusses or pricemoney up or down due to performance, not that hard to incorporate i feel.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Seriously, much prefer tournaments where Taylor doesn't win.
He's won everything there is to win and it just gets boring. Sport is about excitement, underdog victories and too-close-to-call matches and Phil takes that out of the game.

Darts for me will get more interesting when he retires with tournaments where the favourite isn't odds-on before a dart is thrown!!
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

DavidOwen67 wrote:Seriously, much prefer tournaments where Taylor doesn't win.
He's won everything there is to win and it just gets boring. Sport is about excitement, underdog victories and too-close-to-call matches and Phil takes that out of the game.

Darts for me will get more interesting when he retires with tournaments where the favourite isn't odds-on before a dart is thrown!!
I think there are enough fans with this view and that it wont be a concern when he leaves.

Viewing figures dont go over the cliff when he doesnt win, which is also a good indicator.
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

DavidOwen67 wrote:Seriously, much prefer tournaments where Taylor doesn't win.

Not anymore. We aint talking 2008-2010. There was no easy Taylor win in 2012 and a bunch of loses.
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

In the beginning it will be nearly the same.
Successors - Sky tried to promote some players but failed so far because they didnt deliver on a regular base.
Prime example was/is Ando imo.
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

slymaster wrote:
Case wrote: Domination is ok, but you should know when to leave...
Are you talking 2012? It was a good year imo.
Grand Prix, Euros, GSODs, UK Open, Worlds 2012
2012 was a good year indeed! I'm starting to dislike his demeanor more and more, might be just me. Would have loved to see MVG win, but he didn't have enough in the tank and Taylor sparkled for a few sets.