Jabba - time to step up and become a TV player?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
nikkiboy
International

Jabba - time to step up and become a TV player?

Post by nikkiboy »

Awesome on the pro tour but has struggled on TV. played great tonight has he finally put the TV demons behind him?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Stubby
County Player

Re: Jabba - time to step up and become a TV player?

Post by Stubby »

Was starting to make the transition from floor to TV when he had his poor 2011 / 2012 missed a few majors and went out early in the others.

Thankfully all that behind him now so I expect him to start making the progress again that he showed a few years back when he was around 17 / 18 in the OOM.

Hope he can break into top 16 and push on from there.
Last edited by Stubby on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Easy to forget he played superbly against John Bowles at the Worlds as well.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Didnt watch any of it last night but just seen the scores this morning - he won 6 NIL????

Blimey. Was Jamie too good, Chissy rubbish, or a bit of both? Judging by the average I assume it cant just be a case of Chissy being poor.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

He played like he does on the tour, fearless
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Tristan
Superleague Player

Post by Tristan »

Simply not going to happen: he has already had many chances before, I cant see it changing. He might make a QF or SF, but I can't see him winning a TV tourney, sorry.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Tristan wrote:Simply not going to happen: he has already had many chances before, I cant see it changing. He might make a QF or SF, but I can't see him winning a TV tourney, sorry.

not many actually win TV tournaments....if he makes semi finals than that is an achievement in itself.
He was starting to play ok on TV i think without always getting the results..he averaged over 100 against Taylor in Vegas and looked good but Taylor threw better ....then his form last year went away on the floor as well so had no chance on TV although he did throw well at Ally Pally and lost...i think he will do fine on TV from now , although actually winning a big TV event will be hard.
Chizzyfan
County Player

Post by Chizzyfan »

Ginge wrote:Didnt watch any of it last night but just seen the scores this morning - he won 6 NIL????

Blimey. Was Jamie too good, Chissy rubbish, or a bit of both? Judging by the average I assume it cant just be a case of Chissy being poor.
Chizzy played ok, a big mistake hitting a T7 when needing a single and D1 when needing a single as well.

If Caven plays like that the whole tournament Chizzy will once again have lost to the winner/runner up.
Chizzyesque
Krispy
County Player

Post by Krispy »

Jabba played has he often used to on the tour, and has been getting back to. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of that sort of performance out of Jabba. He'll always have off days, having to deal with the heat and maintaining sugar levels etc during long days or late nights (due to his diabetes) - but I do think he's 'back'.
Webmaster and editor/writer of the PDC fansite; Darts, Beers & Cheers!, and Exhibition and Open Tournament database.
Play (terribly) for Stilton Country Club.
Spud180
Pub Champion

Post by Spud180 »

Played pretty awesome jabba. Only thing, he sometimes drops his shoulder on some throws (perhaps to much effort) but was very fluent and banging them trebles in no problem.
DarrenH
Steady Sixties

Post by DarrenH »

Ginge wrote:Didnt watch any of it last night but just seen the scores this morning - he won 6 NIL????

Didn't see it either but Jabba was in the region of 106 so a bit of credit should be due to him in fairness !
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Jabba averaged 106 to Chizzy's 96 but at 5-0 was averaging 112 to Chizzy's 99.

Pretty damn good standard, not many folk average 96 and have their arse handed to them 6-0.
Blame Chizzyfan for tipping Chizzy to win as it was on before the live ITV coverage started! :-)
Chizzyfan
County Player

Post by Chizzyfan »

DavidOwen67 wrote:Jabba averaged 106 to Chizzy's 96 but at 5-0 was averaging 112 to Chizzy's 99.

Pretty damn good standard, not many folk average 96 and have their arse handed to them 6-0.
Blame Chizzyfan for tipping Chizzy to win as it was on before the live ITV coverage started! :-)
I do not believe it was my fault... :) Probably a simple case of Chizzy's t.v fears... He will get over them someday.
Chizzyesque
mc1958
Superleague Player

Post by mc1958 »

Would love to see Jabba win one or two of the televised events
pigginsexy
Pub Champion

Post by pigginsexy »

mc1958 wrote:Would love to see Jabba win one or two of the televised events

So would we, but is it all about TV? Jamie would love to win everything out there as most players do but not everyone will achieve it but he gives it 150% everytime.

I do believe he will win a major not because I'm his wife but because I believe in his talent, maybe not this weekend but he will and its all about gaining experience and longevity in this sport, 7 pro tour wins don't just happen either so for all his supporters thank you and for those that aren't thanks as well cuz its because of you that makes him more determined to prove you wrong.

Debbie
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

People are talking about him debbie which is a good thing as it means hes doing well.

He has a chance to win a major but there are an awful lot of other players out there who have a chance as well.

Its the hardest time ever i think in terms of players capable of winning comps.
Tristan
Superleague Player

Post by Tristan »

pigginsexy wrote:

So would we, but is it all about TV? Jamie would love to win everything out there as most players do but not everyone will achieve it but he gives it 150% everytime.

I do believe he will win a major not because I'm his wife but because I believe in his talent, maybe not this weekend but he will and its all about gaining experience and longevity in this sport, 7 pro tour wins don't just happen either so for all his supporters thank you and for those that aren't thanks as well cuz its because of you that makes him more determined to prove you wrong.

Debbie
It's not that I think he's a bad player or anything like that, but he's been around the block for years now and he has rarely translated his floor form onto the stage (like Walsh for example), and I just think it gets harder to do that after so many years as it's more of a mental issue rather than ability wise.

Anyway, I wish him the best of luck and I would be happy if he proves me wrong.
pigginsexy
Pub Champion

Post by pigginsexy »

I agree Col, its an amazing field of players at the minute but Jamie is doing a job he loves and that to me is worth everything. Difference with Jamie now is he knows he's going to hit the double and not think he is.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

pigginsexy wrote:

Debbie
Hope you don't mind me asking but was Jamie 'gutted' or bothered that his match wasn't shown live on ITV 4? fantastic performance btw. Pity we didn't see (or I didn't anyway).
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
pigginsexy
Pub Champion

Post by pigginsexy »

Tristan wrote:
pigginsexy wrote:

Debbie
It's not that I think he's a bad player or anything like that, but he's been around the block for years now and he has rarely translated his floor form onto the stage (like Walsh for example), and I just think it gets harder to do that after so many years as it's more of a mental issue rather than ability wise.

Anyway, I wish him the best of luck and I would be happy if he proves me wrong.

Thank you, he has been a pro for 5/6 years hardly round the block for years! He has achieved more than most ever will and that is success in itself, not everyone is happy with playing on TV and its all about confidence and belief and its something you have to learn.