Phil Nixon night

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
WCDPA
International

Phil Nixon night

Post by WCDPA »

Last night at ferryhill wmc they held a cancer awareness charity night for Phil Nixon, it was billed as a north east v north west night and darters attending included Durrant, Eccles, Winstanley, Nicholson , M Smith, Oshea , Fitton,Ricky Evans,Green and many others the night was so successful many had to be turned away, nearly £7,000 was raised on the night and Phil was there with all his family.
Gary Stone came from Scotland and by all reports it was an amazing evening ! Great gesture by all involved for a really lovely man.
Booji Boy
International

Re: Phil Nixon night

Post by Booji Boy »

Yes that is a great cause and a great amount raised.

Is phils cancer treatable do you know pauly?
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Not sure but it's in more than one place but the man is a fighter, seen some pics on FB and it was a great turnout and Phil looks completely taken aback at the crowd, darts note Michael Smith had a 120 ave in a leg of 1001, and fellow youth finalist Ricky Evans attended as well , nice to see youngsters supporting this.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Its what darts is all about really. Never mind pdc v bdo and all that crap. This puts everything in to perspective.

I wish the man well.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Col wrote:Its what darts is all about really. Never mind pdc v bdo and all that crap. This puts everything in to perspective.

I wish the man well.

Never, and I mean never was a truer word spoken.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Im sure Little Richard wont mind me posting this off his FB, seems a good summary of the night:
Well, I’m struggling to put into words just what an amazing night it was for Phill Nixon in Ferryhill. Such was the support, my dear friend (and chauffeur) Richie Winpenny and I arrived at 6pm and struggled to get into the venue (which held 400!)…

Through the hard work of Paul Jennings, Glen Durrant and Graeme Stoddart, an 18 strong North East team was assembled featuring the likes of Gary Robson, Paul Nicholson, Tony Eccles, Adam Hunt, Linda Ithurralde and Tab Hunter to name but a few.

In response, a whole host of star names made their way across from the North West, headed by Darryl Fitton and Tony O’Shea… their team included Stephen Bunting, Peter Manley, John Walton, Robbie Green, Martin Atkins, Michael Smith, Rachel Brooks and Dean Winstanley.

The 36 players gave the capacity audience some superb entertainment, complete with their signature walk-ons they each played a leg of 1001. I’ve posted the full list of players/results below, but in summary the North East raced into a 5 leg lead… only for the North West to win 9 straight legs! With a draw to fight for, the North East got it back to 9-8, before Tony O’Shea beat Graeme Stoddart in the captains final leg to seal a 10-8 victory for the North West.

On a night such as this, politics was irrelevant of course as the darting community banded together, just as they always do. The PDC’s Tommy Cox, Graham Fairhurst and Alan Warriner were in attendance, alongside the EDO’s Tommy Thompson and Jean Haywood. Was especially good to see England selector Dawn Speed and League of Legends founder Lee Henderson, both of whom have suffered the personal tragedy in recent years that cancer can bring. Love and respect to you both!

The entire evening was held together by Phill’s dear friend Gary Taylor who hosted the events on stage. Elaine Kearns and I doubled up in refereeing the matches and marshalling the players and it was our absolute pleasure to be involved. We were joined on stage by non other than Phill’s 15 year old son David who did all the marking in the first half. What a brilliant lad… an absolute credit to his Mum and Dad, and not to mention a faultless chalker! Mustn’t forget our brilliant DJ for the evening Dave Doughty, and also Daniel Harte who did a superb job with the auction and raffle.

In a night of fundraising, the figure quoted to me at the end of the night was over £6,500! Absolutely mind-blowing, but it just goes to show the generosity of the darting people up there in Ferryhill and beyond, and just how much Phill Nixon means to us all. I’m pleased to say that the great man was present the entire evening with all of his family and friends. We’re all so full of respect and admiration for him. A champion in every sense.

A brave Suzanne Nixon made her way onto stage to speak to us all and at her request we ensured that every single player and supporter was present in the room to hear it. She had pre-written a speech but never looked at the paper once and instead she spoke from the heart. Her words will live forever in the memory of everyone who heard her speak, especially her closing phrase… “Cancer is just like a game of darts. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but it’s how you play the game that counts…”
Big Jock Knew
Steveo
Steady Sixties

Post by Steveo »

It was a fantastic night of darts that was enjoyed by everyone there, it is such a shame that some people had to be turned away at the door on the night as the figure could have been even higher but H&S has to be followed.

It was fantastic to see so many quality darts players in the same room at the same time and when something like this happens it just puts everything into perspective.

Phil's cancer is not treatable and he just started chemo to try and keep the cancer at bay.

Fantastic speech was made by Suzanne which was listened to by all and observed with respect by all.

Best finish on the night was 154 by Robbie Green with his opponent sitting on a double.
Peter Manley had his usual 'One Dart' at double top after showing the audience his dart while his opponent was taking his throw.
I am sure that there were many other highlights but it is so difficult to remember.
Tristan
Superleague Player

Post by Tristan »

Wow, I'm just silent right now.

My best wishes to Phil Nixon. I hope he recovers.
Rudy
County Player

Post by Rudy »

So good to read that the darts fraternity is not divided when it really matters. Great initiative and equaly great gesture of all participants.

I really hope Phil can keep this "monster" inside him under his thumb and I pray for his health to remain stable for many years to come.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

Darts itself gets a lot of negative publicity , too many chavs, the drinking, fighting, lunatic fans, legal battles between the codes etc.

This is/was one of those times where the great side of darts was there to be seen.sounded like a good night of arrows,politics free and all for a great cause.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Well said JC, I think all the darts community's thoughts are with Phill and his family at this time.
Simrew
Pub Champion

Post by Simrew »

Click on the link for a few reports and pics of the night.

http://www.dartsnortheast.com/phil-nixon/4577981192

Few of my mates went said it was a fantastic night well supported and lots of money raised for a great cause.
TimmyB
County Player

Post by TimmyB »

Sounded a top evening. Glat that plenty of money was raised.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Update from elsewhere:
An update from Stod. - Gary Taylor would like to thank every body that has contributed in any way for their tremendous support, in raising a staggering £7,300 and counting, for the Phil Nixon Cancer Awareness Fund.
So far, Cancer Research, McMillan Nurses, the Chemo Therapy Unit in the University of Durham where Phil is receiving treatment and Phil have benefited from your outstanding efforts.
Unfortunately on the down side Phil has been told his cancer is terminal. My thoughts and I know every one else’s are with Phil and his family.
Big Jock Knew
stodfish180
The Ton Club

Post by stodfish180 »

Thank you Ginge for posting the above.
Ginger Minja
Steady Sixties

Post by Ginger Minja »

Well done to all involved, it's great to see the whole darting family come together to support such a worthy cause. :DDDD: :DDDD:
deetee89
Pub Champion

Post by deetee89 »

Just read on facebook,

Darts North East

PHIL NIXON The Ferryhill Flyer August 9
I am so sorry to inform everyone that this morning Phil lost his battle with cancer and died
My thoughts as go out to Suzanne and all the Nixon family on this very sad day
Gone but never forgotten.
R.I.P Phil

Very sad news.
Andrew Cherry
Steady Sixties

Post by Andrew Cherry »

RIP Phil. An absolute gentleman. It was a pleasure to play you twice mate.
THE BIG FELLA
The Ton Club

Post by THE BIG FELLA »

Hearing the very sad news this morning that the Durham Legend of Darts Mr Phil Nixon has passed away after his short battle with cancer. A top bloke around the darts circuit who you could wish to meet. God Bless Suzanne and all the Family. RIP Phil great too meet you. From all the squad at Warwickshire Darts Organisation.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Rip mr nixon.