Well done Wolfie!

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
trotter
International

Re: Well done Wolfie!

Post by trotter »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
BDO Brad wrote:I'd take a prime Wolfie to edge a prime Bristow any day of the week.
Think it is time for you to tell your carer, that it is bedtime. Goodnight.

:WWWW: :WWWW:
I think Wolfie would have beat him up, he's not the type to get intimidated like so many of Erics opponents.

Bloody hell did you never see his hand trembling every time he met Barney on the Lakeside stage....he would have been a quivering wreck meeting Bristow at his peak...and remember Adams has had about 5 first round losses over the years as well...it took Barney going and a stumble across the line against Phill Nixon for Adams to find his "bottle"
He is a fine player but to compare him to Bristow :D ...he was nowhere near as good as Fordham when both at their Lakeside peaks in my opinion
Bigwilma
Pub Champion

Post by Bigwilma »

Oops I'm wrong seems he's beaten Wright as well.
xtreme rebel
County Player

Post by xtreme rebel »

Bigwilma wrote:Adams owns O Shea and has done for the best part of 20 years, todays result was nailed on. Tony has taken some awful beatings from Wolfie down the years and you can tell doesn't fancy playing Adams . You can hate Wolfie all you want but he's one of the greats, infact I think out of the current PDC top 10 the only player he hasn't beat if you include the exbo's with Lewis as competitve (which i'm sure they were) would be Wright, who he hasn't played I think.
One of the greats? Are you drunk?

He never tested himself against the best in the world at the PDC. Won his BDO TV events when the main men were gone to PDC. Andy Callaby once beat Phil Taylor, does that make him a great?

I could name a lot of players greater than Adams.
Bigwilma
Pub Champion

Post by Bigwilma »

trotter wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
BDO Brad wrote:I'd take a prime Wolfie to edge a prime Bristow any day of the week.
Think it is time for you to tell your carer, that it is bedtime. Goodnight.

:WWWW: :WWWW:
I think Wolfie would have beat him up, he's not the type to get intimidated like so many of Erics opponents.

Bloody hell did you never see his hand trembling every time he met Barney on the Lakeside stage....he would have been a quivering wreck meeting Bristow at his peak...and remember Adams has had about 5 first round losses over the years as well...it took Barney going and a stumble across the line against Phill Nixon for Adams to find his "bottle"
He is a fine player but to compare him to Bristow :D ...he was nowhere near as good as Fordham when both at their Lakeside peaks in my opinion

Adams was without doubt a bottle job at Lakeside for years, but he was a world class floor player scooping around 40 single titles appearing in over 60 finals going back over 25 years, against the great and good of the game. BTW he had a great record against the Viking who was a fantastic talent and a match for anybody, but will tell you himself that Adams was a better player. Andy was playing at the top level for almost 20 years and although a world talent won a lot less than Adams.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

xtreme rebel wrote:
Never been a fan of Adams, but I am sure you could name many more players who are not as good.?
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

ssjsa wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:I'm only telling you how I see it, it's incredibly difficult to compare the generations but if they were to meet at their peak there wouldn't be a lot in it. Wolfie would edge it, just look what happened when he played Lewis,

paDDy
Didn't know that he had given Jamie a game, but surely he would have no chance against the 2 time world champion Adrian Lewis, even in an exhibition game. ;) ;)

That being said, I guess if he is that good, we can all give up in the Prediction competition as you will not only have selected him in your 8 picks, but nominated him as the winner. :)
Because of his personal problems he's only just coming back to his best so I'd thought I'd factor that in and allow him a little more time to peak. All I know is he said he's hungry once again and that can only mean one thing. Maybe he is ready now, if that is the case then I've dropped a boo boo. Only time will tell now.

paDDs
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
fandarts
County Player

Post by fandarts »

BDO Brad wrote:Congratulations to Martin Adams, an excellent victory against a very dangerous opponent.

There's no denying that this is a famous win for the most recognisable dart player in either organisation. If he is able to reproduce the form we all know he has, I suspect he'll overtake Eric Bristow's tally of five world titles...oh how the old has been will hate that!

Hoooooooowl!
a poster of impeccable taste, I a cried a wee tear reading that Brad -here's a wee video for you to enjoy brad, lets hope its number 4 come Sunday

[youtube][/youtube]
Bigwilma
Pub Champion

Post by Bigwilma »

xtreme rebel wrote:
Bigwilma wrote:Adams owns O Shea and has done for the best part of 20 years, todays result was nailed on. Tony has taken some awful beatings from Wolfie down the years and you can tell doesn't fancy playing Adams . You can hate Wolfie all you want but he's one of the greats, infact I think out of the current PDC top 10 the only player he hasn't beat if you include the exbo's with Lewis as competitve (which i'm sure they were) would be Wright, who he hasn't played I think.
One of the greats? Are you drunk?

He never tested himself against the best in the world at the PDC. Won his BDO TV events when the main men were gone to PDC. Andy Callaby once beat Phil Taylor, does that make him a great?

lol no I'm quite sobre, off it for the new year. As i'm sure you know alot of great dart players playing in the PDC have played Adams over the best part of three decades. His overall trophy haul is probably only behind Taylor and Barney, if you can credit Barney with his collection of trinkets before switching then I think you can do the same for Wolfie. I think you could quite reasnobly argue that up until the mid 2000's the WDF/BDO side had more depth or more of the best players, so lets say Wolfie retired in 2006 discounting the Majors and you look at his haul of thirty odd singles up to that point, considering the p[layers he won those titles against, the strength of the fields in those tournaments and the quality of the darts he had to throw to win, then that alone would have made him a great of the game in my opinion.
davcol
Superleague Player

Post by davcol »

fandarts wrote:
BDO Brad wrote:Congratulations to Martin Adams, an excellent victory against a very dangerous opponent.

There's no denying that this is a famous win for the most recognisable dart player in either organisation. If he is able to reproduce the form we all know he has, I suspect he'll overtake Eric Bristow's tally of five world titles...oh how the old has been will hate that!

Hoooooooowl!
a poster of impeccable taste, I a cried a wee tear reading that Brad -here's a wee video for you to enjoy brad, lets hope its number 4 come Sunday

[youtube][/youtube]
A fitting tribute from a legend mr fandarts. If theres any justice it will be title number 4 come sunday.
samrev180
The Ton Club

Post by samrev180 »

foggy wrote:
BDO Brad wrote: this is a famous win for the most recognisable dart player in either organisation.
:omg: :omg: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
Let me just add :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Christ sake, the standard of trollling is going down the toilet.
Big Jock Knew
Paulie Walnuts
Pub Champion

Post by Paulie Walnuts »

Ginge wrote:Christ sake, the standard of trollling is going down the toilet.
Agreed. Pro-BDO nuts complain about PDC fans trolling yet some of their own fans are the worst
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Martin's legacy will always be tarnished by the fact he never made any real attempt to test himself against Phil Taylor and was happy to continue mopping up in the BDO when guys like King and Barney left. The loyalty claim doesn't really wash - he was quite happy to take the PDC's money at various times. It's a shame because I think he is an excellent player but the fact is that BDO 'world titles' are becoming the equivalent of holding the WBU belt in boxing - it might be a world title but everyone knows they increasingly less credible. His game looks to be back - he is a very solid player and I would expect him to win the event. Which will be good news for the BDO because despite all of the above he is still one of darts' most recognisable faces.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

I seem to remember Joe calzage winning and inferior wbo title, being ridiculed by the true "champion" Roy Jones only to annihilate Mr Jones when they met.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
davcol
Superleague Player

Post by davcol »

Totally disagree with the utter nonsense about not wanting to face Phil Taylor. I remember Wolfie playing in the IDL and WDT in the last decade against PDC players so the old fear excuse is nothing more a myth. Some people have been deluded into thinking that the BDO world championship is irrelevant. Thats their perogative however others see it as the best title and its painful for them to accept that. I pity these people.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

nikkiboy wrote:I seem to remember Joe calzage winning and inferior wbo title, being ridiculed by the true "champion" Roy Jones only to annihilate Mr Jones when they met.
By the time Joe met Roy Jones Jnr - who was by then completely shot - he was also the holder of the WBA, IBF and Ring belts. Had Joe not fought Jones - but more importantly Hopkins who was still on top - his legacy would certainly have been tarnished. Martin's legacy will always have question marks hanging over it - Barney at least proved himself capable of winning a word title by beating the greatest, Adams hasn't.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

I find it funny that a bdo player is called a coward for not playing pdc yet a PDC player is not called likewise for refusing to challenge himself in the bdo
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
davcol
Superleague Player

Post by davcol »

nikkiboy wrote:I find it funny that a bdo player is called a coward for not playing pdc yet a PDC player is not called likewise for refusing to challenge himself in the bdo
:DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD:
Bigwilma
Pub Champion

Post by Bigwilma »

Murphio wrote:Martin's legacy will always be tarnished by the fact he never made any real attempt to test himself against Phil Taylor and was happy to continue mopping up in the BDO when guys like King and Barney left. The loyalty claim doesn't really wash - he was quite happy to take the PDC's money at various times. It's a shame because I think he is an excellent player but the fact is that BDO 'world titles' are becoming the equivalent of holding the WBU belt in boxing - it might be a world title but everyone knows they increasingly less credible. His game looks to be back - he is a very solid player and I would expect him to win the event. Which will be good news for the BDO because despite all of the above he is still one of darts' most recognisable faces.
Things could have been very different, as reigning Lakeside champ Adams was in a tough position when the 2007 GSOD was announced. I'm sure he felt he really had to go to the Masters. I'm pretty sure who ever was reigning Lakeside champ at the time would have had a very difficult descision to make and what if you weren't switching?

However the public fall out that followed between BH and Wolfie was childish and neither covered themselves in glory and as a result the positions hardened with Wolfie effectively blacklisted and Adams not giving a flying feck.

I'm pretty sure, i'm almost certain in fact that if the 2007 GSOD had not clashed with the Masters Wolfie would have played. What people sometimes forget is that Adams had no problem playing in the PDC he had a personal fallout with BH, thats the reason he didn't play. Loyalty my arse, two thran men giving the bird.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

nikkiboy wrote:I find it funny that a bdo player is called a coward for not playing pdc yet a PDC player is not called likewise for refusing to challenge himself in the bdo
Where did I say he was a coward? I never used that word. And the vast majority of PDC players have played BDO - bar Adrian Lewis and a few of the kids. Why would he want to 'challenge' himself in a system which is of a lesser quality than the one he is in already? And the fact most the top PDC names of the time played in the IDL and WDT before its dissolution actually makes a nonsense of that.