Q School

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Ipad180
Steady Sixties

Q School

Post by Ipad180 »

Hi everyone,

Regards Q school, I shall not be entering for the reason the sponsorship money has been used on the previous 3-4 weekends.

I used that money as best I could, I explained to "Spaceman" when I won the vote that I hoped it got me through the rest of the year and I'd go from there after that...

As soon as I received the money, I booked my weekends and then set the rest away for expenses.

I'm living away from home for college so means of other income wasn't there, either. I too explained that from the beginning. I'm in college all week and darts at weekends, I couldn't.

I always appreciated the fact that I was sponsored by the good people on here, but I don't understand people that take a bad attitude with me for using the money for what it was given for? What was I supposed to do? Not attend? I did my best at every event.

It was never my intention not to go back to Q School. I went with what I had.

If anybody has any questions for me, I'm glad to answer them.

Paddy.
trotter
International

Re: Q School

Post by trotter »

I would have thought the money would have been used for QS and beyond because when it was won there was 0% chance of retaining a tour card so the rest of the year was a pointless exercise in that regard especially given you say you were never intending to do QS at the end of it
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

was his to do what he liked with concerning darts
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Justin Credible wrote:was his to do what he liked with concerning darts

I suppose so...but it isn't really what the sponsorship scheme is about in my opinion and he should have said he was never intending to do QS at the time...fair enough not doing QS but it might have altered some peoples vote
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

guess we have to be careful, only a matter of time before an upset mod joins in and claims i have no right to comment since i never paid in

:DDD: :DDD:
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Justin Credible wrote:guess we have to be careful, only a matter of time before an upset mod joins in and claims i have no right to comment since i never paid in

:DDD: :DDD:
It's all right...neither did I. :D
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Fair play to paddy
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

iz dat roight ?
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Paddy is a great player . Will be a great player in the future. And also has a brother that just appeared in Lakeside with his whole family.
Provided some great darting moments. Paddy mate it will come good for you eventually. Be Happy!
Spoonz
Brass Darts

Post by Spoonz »

Well I would have thought the money would have been for this year has said above. I won't be adding to the scheme this year unless things are made 100% clear by the player
Thats How I Roll
Bram_1900
County Player

Post by Bram_1900 »

So what have we learned from this? Never give your money to kids anymore. I am not familiar with all the costs that have been made, but if you look at the amount of money Paddy got and he spent it all in 3 weekends? I'm gladd I did not participate in the fund.
Ipad180
Steady Sixties

Post by Ipad180 »

trotter wrote:I would have thought the money would have been used for QS and beyond because when it was won there was 0% chance of retaining a tour card so the rest of the year was a pointless exercise in that regard especially given you say you were never intending to do QS at the end of it
I said from the beginning I would welcome any advice on how best to use the money; nothing came. I told Dave how I was going about it and it was no problem then.

If people said "ignore the rest of this year, wait till January" I probably would have taken the majority vote, but nobody said a thing while I was playing.

You misread my Q school line. I DID intend to do q school with the money - read back.
Ipad180
Steady Sixties

Post by Ipad180 »

Bram_1900 wrote:So what have we learned from this? Never give your money to kids anymore. I am not familiar with all the costs that have been made, but if you look at the amount of money Paddy got and he spent it all in 3 weekends? I'm gladd I did not participate in the fund.
Each weekend costs 5/600 from Ireland (doesn't include money exchange either) I don't drink and I saved that money where I could.

You mis-judge the cost of the tour.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Bram_1900 wrote:So what have we learned from this? Never give your money to kids anymore. I am not familiar with all the costs that have been made, but if you look at the amount of money Paddy got and he spent it all in 3 weekends? I'm gladd I did not participate in the fund.
Echoes of the past there. Someone who didn't contribute complaining about the outcome despite it having nothing to do with them whatsoever.

Paddy is a talented lad and a smashing bloke as well. He will not have done anything reckless with the money but budgeted and used it as best he could, I don't think anyone realises how expensive the tour is when you're not a UK resident.
Had the pleasure of marking Paddy's board in Crawley at the end of Feb when he reached the last 16 and threw some terrific stuff in the board final win over Ian White.

Good luck to Paddy wherever his arrows take him.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
Echoes of the past there. Someone who didn't contribute complaining about the outcome despite it having nothing to do with them whatsoever.

Paddy is a talented lad and a smashing bloke as well. He will not have done anything reckless with the money but budgeted and used it as best he could, I don't think anyone realises how expensive the tour is when you're not a UK resident.
Had the pleasure of marking Paddy's board in Crawley at the end of Feb when he reached the last 16 and threw some terrific stuff in the board final win over Ian White.

If you look above not all the sponsors feel the same way.
Big Jock Knew
Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

I think it is a valid point David - We all know Paddy is a good player, I don't think anyone is questioning that, but going forward the members of the scheme need to realise that the players they vote for have certain limitations as to what they can do with the sponsorship.

An overseas player will incur more costs that a UK based player.

An established player will be committed to the full tour regardless of the cost. Whereas an up and coming one maybe selective of the events they do.

A pro tour player will have more expenses than a BDO tour player who in turn will have more expenses than a youth player, yet the returns are potentially less for a youth.

It's all things that need to be considered.
Last edited by Stubby on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:

If you look above not all the sponsors feel the same way.
Bram is not a sponsor so I simply don't understand him coming on here to complain. It really has nothing to do with him. Other sponsors may feel differently to me. That's absolutely fine and they are entitled to that opinion.

I was just having my two penn'orth about how Paddy chose to use the sponsorship. He chose to do the events at the end of 2013 and that was his choice to make.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

It was four weekends by the way, Dublin, Killarney and two in England.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Is the problem the timing of the scheme? Not sure myself.

But as 1 who has put a little money in I just naturally assumed Paddy would have entered Q School. I appreciate him coming on here and explaining.

I'll be honest: my votes went elsewhere until that player went out, and then it was more of a 'random' choice and I made my final votes. It's part of the scheme that the player you want to win may not.

Lesson from this: maybe more info with intentions and financial viability of the player?

Do I feel 'robbed'? Not really. Just disappointed Paddy has to 'retire' for a season or two, not to see the patch on TV and not having a bit more money put back into the scheme.

Will I be putting in again. All being well: then yes.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Compton
On The Naughty Step

Post by Compton »

He's had to come over from Ireland to play on the tours, did you want him to go by row boat?

Unless it's stipulated surely he should be free to spend that money on what tournaments he wants?

You're helping him cover costs not decide the career path he wants to take.

The guy doesn't even drinks ffs :D