Darts - Your family and friends

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Darts - Your family and friends

Post by Justin Credible »

How much does darts play in your social life.

In my case, none of my family bar one brother has any interest in the game, and that sole brother only has a vague interest.My friends care even less.

In fact other than the odd guy in the pub who plays the game, I dont really have any close friends that play, watch or take an interest in the game.

so bad it is that people like dice who i met on the odd occasion would possibly be the most passionate about darts i know on a social basis.
If I attend a darts event its usually on my own or have to persuade a buddy or two to attend and they only go to appease me.

how integral is darts in your social life, family life etc ?
Booji Boy
International

Re: Darts - Your family and friends

Post by Booji Boy »

My kids have just started playing they are nine and nearly 5 in age. Just had a board hung at a suitable height for the wee lad, lassie plays on the full height board.

I play darts twice a week, on a Tuesday and a Thursday and I have made some lifelong friends through doing this.

So darts plays a wee part in my home life and a big part in my social life.
mc1958
Superleague Player

Post by mc1958 »

I see my daughter once a week and she can't stand the game and I play for a couple of teams and am on a couple of forums - so none in my home life and loads in my social life
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Sad as it is, most of my mates are either A pigeon men, or B darts people, and some lads actually over lap, pigeon men that play darts.

I go for a pint, I meet the lads, its either pigeons or darts, that's it, maybe Gaa during the summer, or the odd discussion on soccer, but not so much.
I either drink in a Gaa club or a real Gaa bar.
ericbristowlegend
Pub Champion

Post by ericbristowlegend »

Good question to start. Darts really came crashing into me an my group of friends lives after the famous taylor/barney world final we all wanted to play getting darts the boards even the clothes but as with most things things dwindle down, an we were all in our late teens then so growing up to an now they'll all have a look in on the darts but the only ones playing consitantly everyday would be myself,my cousin an my brother (although he gets more involved round christmas). My house in my local network of friends is the only one with a board come to think of it an my mates darts, stems an flights are all end up in my house. So i suppose my house is the epicentre of darts in my social group when they want to play that is :roll:
How goes it?
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

My wife and eldest daughter play, I play only once a week now (Tuesday) and have played in the same team for 13 years now so I now call them the friends (even if they deny it).

Started playing because my mum and dad both played so a board was always in the house, my brother plays too as does one of my 2 sisters.

My 13 year old has tried but she's dangerous as she's autistic, she does laugh at herself so at least it's funny, and my 9 year old has started throwing occasionally in the garage on the full height board, thankfully she seems to have a straight throw I just hope she shows a bit more interest but I wont force it on her.

So all in all darts is a big part of my life.
Last edited by The Crusader on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinking of one.
Chizzyfan
County Player

Post by Chizzyfan »

Big part of family life, all of us play. Got the 5 year old one of those sticky dart boards for his birthday to start him off, however, I am tortured as to why he can't have a green and black one like mine. :D

Socially, it is rather difficult, no local team for miles and I don't drive at night. Maybe one day a team will start up nearby.
Chizzyesque
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

May I also add that I made friends and met plenty nice people through being on darts forums. Also met a couple of idiots as well. Paddy being one.
leftarmchucker
Pub Champion

Post by leftarmchucker »

My mother in law was a county player , my wife and three daughters all play , two of them have played county youth .
Around 75% of close friends I have I know through darts .
I play 2-3 nights a week and try and go too a couple of comps a month too
foggy
Superleague Player

Post by foggy »

I play regular Weds night league, love the weds nights a good laugh and catch up the only night i go out really, also play every friday night in the Kitchen (yes my boards in the kitchen has proved tricky in the past especially while the wife is putting dinner out) play first to 20 legs for money with a mate every Friday night, enter local midlands comps from time to time when the wife will come along but does not have a great interest in darts but will watch it on the tv if i have it on, Eldest plays local league and super league along with comps.
Last edited by foggy on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy
County Player

Post by Rudy »

The only one playing in my 2012 formed family is my 5-year-old son, harassing almost every inch of my Unicorn Eclipse board, be it put on a chair for height reasons.
I myself have given up on darts more or less after having been diagnosed with carpal-tunnel syndrome. Less pain now, just no more darts for now. But then again, I've had my fair share of darts pleasures in the past, having played the wicked game, be it with intervals of indifference, since 1977.
samrev180
The Ton Club

Post by samrev180 »

I play regular Monday and Wednesday night darts for two teams. Always good for a catch up and a few drinks with friends. Play every Friday night with my mate round at his which is always a good practice and a fun game. Most of my friends play darts as well as my dad and brother so lucky in that sense as there's always someone who fancies a chuck. Also 3 or 4 times a year about 12 of us meet up at my brothers for a night of darts and a few drinks which is always as good night.
thegabbycabby
The Ton Club

Post by thegabbycabby »

I wonder where I find the time to work these days darts plays a massive part in my life (long may it continue ) since moving county 3 years ago I now play Monday and Friday in singles money league (same pub) also super league and now back in counties, darts lets you meet many good people, some who become lifetime friends, my wife did play but gave up due to the politics when I switched in 2002 and now although she supports me will never play for the area we stay in.
soulrebel1980
Pub Champion

Post by soulrebel1980 »

Darts has been in my life for as long as I can remember really.

One of my older brothers got me into darts, he was always the skipper of the team(and an excellent player himself before suffering dartitism) I played for, he encouraged me to play better I was not a bad player I suppose, got through to the last 32 of the Hampshire open one year, not bad for just a pub player, after he died four years ago, I stopped playing, it wasn't the same not hearing him moaning at me missing doubles!

So, just love watching darts now, any darts, from in a pub to the Ally Pally.
O C
Superleague Player

Post by O C »

Its a big part of my life, been playing since 1978, I've had dart friends longer than any others. Played teams with my brother-in-law for many years, he still plays now and then. My family knows it my biggest hobby and passion. When my oldest daughter went off to college, she wanted to know how she could stream some dart tournaments, she wanted to put one on in the background while she studied to make her feel at home...

Just started playing in a Thursday night league I haven't played in for about 8 years (switched to a Tuesday league in another city that I still play in). On this team are some folks I've known since the 80's, but except for one of them I've always played against them instead of with them, really excited to be on the team :-)
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

First chucked some torpedos into a darts board in 1976 when I was about 6 years old. Watched my Dad hit a 180 in the garage which inspired me to play better. My Dad was Captain of the local team.
Played with my brother and friends growing up but never serious.
It was only after moving to Holland I started playing for the leagues. After a while my missus started playing in our team and my sister also played in a team for our bar. If we go back home we occasionally have a chuck with Dad, Brother, Sis, her man and the Missus.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Play Mondays and Wednesdays in 2 local leagues, wife used to play but now has no interest whatsoever. I've played league darts for one of the teams since 1985 :)

Eldest girl (now 16) has been to the Matchplay with me but wasn't that bothered, middle child (my boy) went to UK Open and Dutch Darts Masters with me last year and is getting mad keen!
Youngest 2 (the boy & littlest daughter) have their own sets of darts and a board in the house. They also love coming to the club in the village with me on a Sat or Sun afternoon and having a throw.
legend670
Pub Champion

Post by legend670 »

Started playing at College when I would skip lessons and play in the local pool hall.

My wife likes it and enjoys the atmosphere at the Majors. She also says that women shouldn't play darts (probably because she cant)

My younger brother doesn't like it much and neither did my parents.

I love the social side and have made more friends through darts than I did playing decent rugby and football.
Do I know any jokes about Sodium Hypobromite?

NaBrO
paul_butler
Steady Sixties

Post by paul_butler »

My parents will watch darts if it's on and know who a few players are, my brother has no interest at all, so family wise, not a lot.

Mates wise, I run a team which contains some life long friends of mine, I run a league through which I've met a lot of people I now consider to be mates, I've met a lot of people through the markers' scheme and running my own competitions as well, so darts is a big part of my social life.
Doug _180
Steady Sixties

Post by Doug _180 »

I currently play 3 nights a week, super league and county.

My wife absolutely hates darts with a passion. Doesn't understand what the interest is. So much so, when I qualified for Bolton she had no interest of coming along so I took my best mate.

I use to play pairs with my Mum when I lived in the same area and she only gave up a few years back, aged 74.

I've got a younger brother who still plays and 3 older ones that have zero interest.

I've a mixture of friends who play and watch the game, some who like to watch but never play or the others who just don't understand why you'd want to do either? I'd say the majority of my friends are people who have played the game at some point in their lives.