Enough with the Martin Adams bashing...

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
The_Lakeside
Feather Flights

Enough with the Martin Adams bashing...

Post by The_Lakeside »

I've not been here long but it seems there is a real lack of respect for the 3 time Champion of the World.

Thread after thread of people telling blatant lies and hurling abuse around about one of, if not the greatest ever players. I put this down to sheer jealousy of the fame and fortunes that Martin has achieved through his illustrious career.

So enough is enough... stop with the bashing and pay some respect to the Lakeside legend, Martin "Wolfie" Adams!!!!!

WCDPA
International

Re: Enough with the Martin Adams bashing...

Post by WCDPA »

Martin Adams is one of the greatest BDO players ever and the most successful England captain ever, but the game is and should be bigger than any one individual player.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

The_Lakeside wrote:I've not been here long but it seems there is a real lack of respect for the 3 time Champion of the World.

Thread after thread of people telling blatant lies and hurling abuse around about one of, if not the greatest ever players. I put this down to sheer jealousy of the fame and fortunes that Martin has achieved through his illustrious career.

So enough is enough... stop with the bashing and pay some respect to the Lakeside legend, Martin "Wolfie" Adams!!!!!

Ok, thanks.
The_Lakeside
Feather Flights

Post by The_Lakeside »

WCDPA wrote:Martin Adams is one of the greatest BDO players ever and the most successful England captain ever, but the game is and should be bigger than any one individual player.
The game is bigger yes... but the way people talk about Martin makes my blood boil. Even the most ardent haters of the man must agree he is one of the greatest darts players of all time.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

The_Lakeside wrote:
WCDPA wrote:Martin Adams is one of the greatest BDO players ever and the most successful England captain ever, but the game is and should be bigger than any one individual player.
The game is bigger yes... but the way people talk about Martin makes my blood boil. Even the most ardent haters of the man must agree he is one of the greatest darts players of all time.
We went through this trolling when Paddy first started. At least he was funny and grew up eventually.

So. Unoriginal and boring.

Try harder
samrev180
The Ton Club

Post by samrev180 »

one of, if not the greatest ever players

Really?? I mean Really?? No.....just....no.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

The_Lakeside wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
scott1uk
Steady Sixties

Post by scott1uk »

Anybody know why he split with Sharon?.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

He is one of the greats unquestionably, the problem is this forum is massively pdc biased so all you will get is more ridicule, and yes it is jealousy.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

ifm wrote:He is one of the greats unquestionably, the problem is this forum is massively pdc biased so all you will get is more ridicule, and yes it is jealousy.

The forum will always be more PDC biased purely because the PDC is so much more accessible , so much more visible and so much more high profile.......the more high profile something is the more fans it attracts and the more people talk about it, that's just life

As for Adams , I don't think it's jealousy at all...I think he does himself no favours with his comments and his actions...forget his non participation in the Grand Slam which did himself no favours , but that was his decision, it's the comments he has come out with over the years....the PDC knocking when there was no need to do so...the BDO play real darts guff, the PDC is a circus ...loads more....it's all added to his unpopularity in some circles
The fact that some people constantly refer to him as one of the greatest EVER also goes against him...he is patently not...he is a great player for sure but one of the best EVER ?
his manner and last but not least ...his bloody laugh !

Is that enough ? :D
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ifm wrote:He is one of the greats unquestionably, the problem is this forum is massively pdc biased so all you will get is more ridicule, and yes it is jealousy.
Oh don't talk crap.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

But you are another of the pdc fanboys so on this forum your comments are both predictable and not a true representation of how Martin should be seen.
He is one one the greats, 3 world titles, 3 masters titles entitles him to that, who else has achieved that much?
You talk of comments made etc. What has that got to do with it?
Nothing at all.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ifm wrote:But you are another of the pdc fanboys so on this forum your comments are both predictable and not a true representation of how Martin should be seen.
He is one one the greats, 3 world titles, 3 masters titles entitles him to that, who else has achieved that much?
Nothing at all.
I hope that was not aimed a me :D

I took offense you saying 'unquestionably' one of the greats. I think there is a debate to be had but ultimately it depends on how many 'greats' there can be. If 5, no way. If 10 then I'll debate it but probably not. if we are allowed 20 greats then maybe!

And as for jealousy. Hmm, no I would not have thought so.
Would many of us like to be as good as him at darts?
Yes.
Am I jealous of the man? no. no way.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

ifm wrote:But you are another of the pdc fanboys so on this forum your comments are both predictable and not a true representation of how Martin should be seen.
Nothing at all.

I'm not a fanboy of anything...I've been to Lakeside ..I've never been to a PDC event .ive watched every BDO world champs ever on TV...I've been to local opens and played in some years ago...fanboy is an easy throwaway comment that generally means nothing in reality
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

The point is greatness should be judged on achievement, nothing else, forget the politics, forget which or you affiliate with, on achievement alone he is one of the greats.
JC will be along in a minute to say he played a weakened field, won nothing till the split, spineless etc etc but the same argument can be made both ways.
At the end of the day he won these comps, he has the titles, he is a great.

Madsocks
trotter
International

Re: Enough with the Martin Adams bashing..

Post by trotter »

My point about Adams being called one of the greatest players ever is that he has won his titles in a mainly diluted field in which he has stayed ...you can't knock him for that but he didn't win them when the events were at their strongest and most other Lakeside winners and Masters winners won the event and then left...who's to say that Mark Webster wouldn't have won more Lakesides, that Richie Burnett wouldn't have, that Steve Beaton wouldn't have......who's to say that Ronnie Baxter wouldn't have won what Adams has won had he stayed , and nobody would call Ronnie an all time great....James Wade doesn't have one world title or masters title but I would have him above Adams in any list
It is very hard to really judge players unless they play each other constantly and too many top players left he BDO quite early while Adams stayed and reaped the rewards
A great player most certainly but not one the greatest ever and not an all time great

That is the official view of a fanboy
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ok Ian, lets put it like this, how many 'greats' can there be in darts over the last 30 years?
?
?
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Would Martin Adams have won a major event in a unified field? I have to say I very much doubt it. There is no doubt he is a very good player but 'great' - I don't think so.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

The same argument can be made with Taylor though, how many titles would he have won had the split not happened?
Certainly a lot less, what if barney moved earlier?
What if part moved earlier?
You cannot possibly know, it's a pointless exercise because you will never know, what if Taylor stayed, would he have beaten Adams? Opinion would say yes, mine too Btw but is that nailed on no, spiolek beat him ffs!

Madsocks
Rudy
County Player

Post by Rudy »

double post
Last edited by Rudy on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.