Stephen Bunting

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
el_ringo
County Player

Re: Stephen Bunting

Post by el_ringo »

Murphio wrote:
Col wrote:The likes of Mark Webster and Ted Hankey have struggled to make an impact after moving codes
Re the above from Sky, eh, what? Mark Webster has reached two world semi finals including one third place finish. Semi final of the UK Open, final of the Players Championship, and World Cup runner-up. He has also reached a couple of quarter finals and played in the Premier League, making over 300k since his switch. I'd hardly call that a 'struggle' like Hankey ffs.
I read it as Barry referring to the past 12-18 months of Websters results which seemed to have started downwards since he was included in the Premier League & struggled for results.

For some reason it appears to be a thing that happens to the top end BDO switchers , Winstanley is in the throws of it atm, when they first swap over they seem in the first couple of years to reach a ceiling very quickly and then start slipping down as they can't seem to reproduce the consistancy of the first 2 years. King did the same they look for all the world in the initial 2 years as if they will be a perenial top end challenger but then struggle to progress beyond 2nd and 1/4 finals the following couple of years. Hopefully now players like Webster at the Worlds begin to recover form and as they are no longer defending the monies form their initial years reverse their slides.

I have theorised this might be due to someone who was struggling by on 20-30k a year on the BDO circuit suddenly getting a massive boost to 100-150K a year and being distracted by their new found wealth and media exposure.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

the problem for years was players coming over from the bdo full of confidence and carrying that with them and picking up a few victories, but over time the constant hammerings of the big boys destroys that once top confidence.

Has happened to them all and once they accept it and get used to it they come back.
Expect bunting to do well early, but he will get a comedown soon and it does take its toll on players
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

el_ringo wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Col wrote:The likes of Mark Webster and Ted Hankey have struggled to make an impact after moving codes
Re the above from Sky, eh, what? Mark Webster has reached two world semi finals including one third place finish. Semi final of the UK Open, final of the Players Championship, and World Cup runner-up. He has also reached a couple of quarter finals and played in the Premier League, making over 300k since his switch. I'd hardly call that a 'struggle' like Hankey ffs.
I read it as Barry referring to the past 12-18 months of Websters results which seemed to have started downwards since he was included in the Premier League & struggled for results.

For some reason it appears to be a thing that happens to the top end BDO switchers , Winstanley is in the throws of it atm, when they first swap over they seem in the first couple of years to reach a ceiling very quickly and then start slipping down as they can't seem to reproduce the consistancy of the first 2 years. King did the same they look for all the world in the initial 2 years as if they will be a perenial top end challenger but then struggle to progress beyond 2nd and 1/4 finals the following couple of years. Hopefully now players like Webster at the Worlds begin to recover form and as they are no longer defending the monies form their initial years reverse their slides.

I have theorised this might be due to someone who was struggling by on 20-30k a year on the BDO circuit suddenly getting a massive boost to 100-150K a year and being distracted by their new found wealth and media exposure.
Hearn didn't mention Webster - that line was added in by a lazy journalist who actually aint got a clue.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

I think Websters problem stem from the maulings he took in the PL. He posted a record average and then from then on got pumped every week. This would suggest that mentally he is quite fragile. Thankfully he seems to be coming back to some form. There is no doubting websters talent, he can live with the best and remember he is still quite young.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Col wrote:I think Websters problem stem from the maulings he took in the PL. He posted a record average and then from then on got pumped every week. This would suggest that mentally he is quite fragile. Thankfully he seems to be coming back to some form. There is no doubting websters talent, he can live with the best and remember he is still quite young.

After the PL finished:

2011 UK Open - semi finals
2011 Matchplay - quarters
2011 Euros - Last 32
2011 WGP - quarters

So it didnt set in straight away.
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

The need to eventually defend certain monies surely adds pressure? When they join the PDC these guys are defending nothing - the only way is up. From there on in players have to at least match their previous achievements which brings in added pressure they aren't dealing with at first.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:I think Websters problem stem from the maulings he took in the PL. He posted a record average and then from then on got pumped every week. This would suggest that mentally he is quite fragile. Thankfully he seems to be coming back to some form. There is no doubting websters talent, he can live with the best and remember he is still quite young.

After the PL finished:

2011 Euros - Last 32
2011 WGP - quarters

No surprise threadkiller believed it.
The likes of dave clarke saying it enough times and rod as well and most sheep actually believe the PL did this to webster, which ginge has shown is not true
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Ginge wrote:

After the PL finished:

2011 Euros - Last 32
2011 WGP - quarters

I have no doubt that the maulings Webster took in the PL had an effect on his game and confidence. Nothing above has changed my opinion of that.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Well why didnt it take effect straight away then, if his confidence was shot to pieces?
Big Jock Knew
thorntree
The Ton Club

Post by thorntree »

I'm not sure Webster and King have ever really gone down that much. There are more good players in the PDC now than 2007 when King moved over. Whitlock, Chisnall and Wright are all top 8 now and were not playing in the PDC in 2007. van Gerwen moved at the same time as King. Anderson, Pipe, Thornton, Huybrechts, Dolan and White are all in the top 17 now. Once you fall out of the top 8 you can play a top 8 player in the first round of most of the TV events. King and Webster haven't fallen more than players like Osborne, Manley, Tabern, Scholten or Mardle who didn't have an initial good 2 years.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Ginge wrote:Well why didnt it take effect straight away then, if his confidence was shot to pieces?
Webster has admitted himself that the PL had an effect on his confidence. What more proof do I need?

I know you are glad to have JC back, but please dont let the woods disrupt your view of the trees.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

I dont remember his confidence shot to pices right after the PL when he did brilliantly in the following UK Open.

Your logic is flawed, accept you were wrong and move on and stop digging
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Col wrote:
Ginge wrote:Well why didnt it take effect straight away then, if his confidence was shot to pieces?
Webster has admitted himself that the PL had an effect on his confidence. What more proof do I need?
So why didnt it manifest itself straight away then?
Big Jock Knew
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Justin Credible wrote:I dont remember his confidence shot to pices right after the PL when he did brilliantly in the following UK Open.

Your logic is flawed, accept you were wrong and move on and stop digging
See my post above JC.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:

Maybe he put it on hold til the summer :DDD:
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:
Ask Mark!
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Ginge wrote:After the PL finished:

2011 Euros - Last 32
2011 WGP - quarters

He also reached the final of the (December) PC Finals and ranked 13th in Pro Tour money for the part of the season that followed the PL. It was arguably his overall best year in the PDC, his earnings in the others were propped up by his Worlds semis.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Zeyes wrote:

2011 Euros - Last 32
2011 WGP - quarters

He also reached the final of the (December) PC Finals and ranked 13th in Pro Tour money for the part of the season that followed the PL. It was arguably his overall best year in the PDC, his earnings in the others were propped up by his Worlds semis.
:D
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Col wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:
Murphio wrote:

hardly surprising it was threadkiller that would make such a stupid statement and lob webster in the same category as Hankey.
Oh dear JC, oh deary deary dear. :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
:DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Zeyes wrote:

2011 Euros - Last 32
2011 WGP - quarters

From the man himself.

“It’s been a bit of a struggle over the last couple of years but I’m working hard and it feels as though my form is coming back" Dec 2013.