Police charge Lancs Treasurer

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
The H
Pub Champion

Re: Police charge Lancs Treasurer

Post by The H »

Sawley Al wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:Any transaction should require the signature of the chairman & treasurer. Was this not the case?
No! Was 2 signatures but the chairman wasn't one of them.
The rest will no doubt come out in the court case .
Sums this up really. One rotten apple on a big rotten apple branch from a big rotten apple tree!

Only one apple to date has fallen!
Meaning what exactly?

If you had any idea what this had done to Tommy and that his beloved county could be systematically pillaged in this way by this women you may have at least a degree of sympathy. Should someone have kept a tighter check on matter, even Tommy albeit in hindsight would totally agree, no-one would have imagined that this women would have acted in this matter.
Punishment?
On all know details the cost of her paying the money back is next to nothing and her circumstances alas "suggest" that a custodial sentence would be unlikely.
Maybe there may be something either in the banks policy or CC insurance that allows them to reclaim some of this £40k back, but based only on logic such a possibility again doesn't look likely. But how the bank with all its systems for picking up on Fraud or indeed irregular card use did did not pick up this issue is really scary, especially as it came out of an associations as opposed to a private individuals bank account
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

spin it anyway they like, no one comes out of this looking good.
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

robdave2k wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:
golden_boy wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:
golden_boy wrote:i remember reading about this on here when it first happened, dont think it named names then, but did say the actions of the person almost caused lancashire darts to fold.

40k is a lot of money, what checks were in place for this to be allowed to happen? does anyone involved in lancashire darts know if this person had regualr access to the lancashire darts 'kitty'

jail term beckons if the person involved is found guilty, CPS must think they can get a prosecution.
I very much doubt a jail term ensues. In my professional capacity I recently dealt with a £100k+ fraud involving the VAT man. The guy had to repay the money and got 200 hours community service, that's all.

thats a completely different scenario. what happened hear is theft. will she be able to repay the 40k?
Defrauding HMRC is theft too, yes she can repay it no matter how long it takes.
Technically isn't theft though is it Dave - it's tax evasion - a completely different kettle of fish. Still at least he wasn't charged with tax avoidance, as that would have resulted in hanging, drawing and quartering. It seems to be flavour of the month, even though legal :D

The court will go easier on her as she is a woman - that's a fact unfortunately. Likewise whether she pleads guilty or not will have an effect on the sentence.

I'd rather take my chances nicking £100k from the VAT man than I would £40k from an organisation, not that I'm condoning that of course! But someone's head should roll for it.
VAT fraud is theft NOT tax evasion. When a business charges VAT they are acting as a tax collector for the Government. VAT surplus never belongs to the collector but to the government so if you keep it and not pay it to the government you are stealing.

There is a starting point of 2 years imprisonment for deliberate VAT fraud depending on the circumstances and the amount stolen. it can go as high as 7 years. Daves guy was lucky not to go to jail, 100k plus carries between 2 and 4 years in the clink.
Image ImageImage Image
robdave2k
Steady Sixties

Post by robdave2k »

VAT fraud is theft NOT tax evasion. When a business charges VAT they are acting as a tax collector for the Government. VAT surplus never belongs to the collector but to the government so if you keep it and not pay it to the government you are stealing.

There is a starting point of 2 years imprisonment for deliberate VAT fraud depending on the circumstances and the amount stolen. it can go as high as 7 years. Daves guy was lucky not to go to jail, 100k plus carries between 2 and 4 years in the clink.[/quote]

It is tax evasion. HMRC operate the code of practice and typically follow the civil route and penalties. They don't hand down the court sentence if it reaches that stage under the money laundering regulations.

Once it reaches the stage where HMRC wish to pursue it under an act of criminality then the CPS has a range of charges it will seek to pursue.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sent ... ual/fraud/

In bold lies the whole crux of the argument. Let's say you go into Tesco, steal a bottle of whisky. A week later you go in and put it back. You have still committed theft, despite the later rectification of the mistake. That is a mitigating circumstance, but the offence still exists. If tax evasion was theft in the same way, there is no distinction between that and a business that pays it's VAT late then surely?

Also tax evasion doesn't just have to be deliberate. The basic definition of theft is

A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly

You can be charged with VAT fraud even if you haven't done it deliberately from the outset.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... le-9722690

The former treasurer of the Lancashire Darts Organisation has been spared jail after stealing £23,000 in prize money and membership fees to fund an addiction to fruit machines.

Irene Mungins, 70, ‘threw away’ thousands in arcades at Salford Precinct, and on an online website called ‘Jackpot Joy’.

By the time her dishonesty was discovered, there was just £100 left in the bank.

The LDO - which has produced some of the country’s top professional darts players - was left on the ‘brink of extinction’ by the frauds.

Members were stunned to learn that Mungins - who had been involved with the sport for 23 years - had betrayed so many of her friends, even seeking to blame them when she was arrested by police.

A £10,000 bail-out from the British Darts Organisation saved the LDO from bankruptcy.

Mungins, of Rudyard Road, Salford, has now been sentenced to an 18-month sentence, suspended for two years, plus 12-months supervision, after admitting theft.

Sentencing at Manchester Crown Court, Judge Hilary Manley said the case was a ‘very sad fall from grace for a woman who had hitherto led a blame-free life’.

Mungins now faces losing her home as the authorities try to claw the money back.

The mum-of-two was elected as treasurer of the LDO in 2008, and was regarded as a person of ‘absolute integrity’ by members.

She had sole charge of the organisation’s bank account, which covered all its costs, from travel to prize money.

But in 2011, burdened with relatives’ ill health, her own ill health, and financial problems, she began to ‘seek escapism’ in gambling.

The full scale of her addiction only emerged in 2013 - after staff learnt £3,500 in coach bills had gone unpaid.

Mungins responded by going into hiding from mystified colleagues, refusing to answer calls or the door.

She was arrested in November 2012 and the police investigation would reveal that over a 21-month period Mungins made a staggering 336 withdrawals from LDO funds.

A worker at the Quicksilver Arcade in Salford told officers she was a ‘constant gambler’ - and enquiries with Jackpot Joy revealed she had plunged £50,000 into an online account, losing £35,000 of it.

Interviewed by police, Mungins lied that LDO members had ‘pressured’ her into giving them money.

She claimed a small fortune had gone on frames for certificates - when she had spent just £118 on them. She also claimed the cash had been spent on darts shirts - when all of them had been paid for by cheque, and just had been bought with cash.

Paul Hodgkinson, defending ‘deeply ashamed’ Mungins, said she had been ‘gripped’ by gambling - a compulsion he said posed a ‘real danger’ to society.

“She initially started to take small amounts of money with the intention of returning that money once a win came in - but as we all know, wins very rarely come”, the barrister said.

In a statement, William Thompson, chair of the LDO said: “Prior to this discovery I would have trusted Irene Mungins with my life, as we all would, committee members and players. It was the ultimate crime of betrayal of friendship and trust.”
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Not good, a lesson to all organisations that you need two signatures to move cash around and not to leave one person in sole control of the finances.
nevil22
Pub Champion

Post by nevil22 »

Darts for all (to help themselves to the funds)
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

nevil22 wrote:Darts for all (to help themselves to the funds)
Bit of a cheap shot, this happens in all walks of life (remember the Mirror pensioners) and is not specific to the BDO or darts in general
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
nevil22
Pub Champion

Post by nevil22 »

nikkiboy wrote:
nevil22 wrote:Darts for all (to help themselves to the funds)
Bit of a cheap shot, this happens in all walks of life (remember the Mirror pensioners) and is not specific to the BDO or darts in general
Maybe a cheap shot. but no-one on here would ever have a cheap shot at the PDC would they??.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Two wrong and all that Nev, I've had a couple of employees that have pinched and some you would never expect mate. A 70 year old with 30 years service would be the bottom of my list of suspects tbh so its no wonder Lancs got caught out. Like I say adjust the bank permissions so that someone else has to sign off on amounts over a couple of hundred pounds and approve standing orders and transfers.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
dudley1975
Superleague Player

Post by dudley1975 »

Our football club account requires two signatories of which I am one of them.

So naive to give sole control
Chillireyes
The Ton Club

Post by Chillireyes »

I know one of my Friends did mentain this about 7 yrs ago when Sale was in the Lancashire Super league about how much the league fees was etc etc!!
SOUTH AMERICA'S & CHILE FIRST PROTOUR MARKER
2nd in The Unicorn 2014 World Grand Prix Prediction Game
2nd in The Unicorn 2015 UK Open Darts Prediction Game