Police charge Lancs Treasurer

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Police charge Lancs Treasurer

Post by Justin Credible »

I have had a phone call from D.C.I Barker today 14.00pm (28/03/2014), informing me that the CPS have now charged our former treasurer Irene Mungins with 16 counts of fraud totalling £39,633.00. This figure could increase.
She will shortly be given a date to attend Crown Court.

On behalf of the committee can we thank all our members for their support over the last 20 months whilst the police concluded their investigations
Tommy Thompson
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Re: Police charge Lancs Treasurer

Post by Welsh Wayne »

40k some serious time if found guilty ..... and also 6 pts on the licence
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
foggy
Superleague Player

Post by foggy »

:DDDD: :DDDD: innocent till proven guilty i know but if found guilty i hope a spell in prison is given and not just a slap on the wrist with community service as if often the case :x
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

wonder if the police found anymore dubious activity in the books.

I suspect the county aint that wealthy so the fact that so much money could be taken makes you wonder what sort of mess is this.
how could TT not spot this, and what lax system is/was in place.

Who knows the rest of the counties could be just as bad if this is typical of how counties are run
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Not good, time beckons methinks
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Rudy
County Player

Post by Rudy »

This "ïncident" once more emphasizes the need, for any organization, to have a controller regularly check the bookkeeper's activities!
Last edited by Rudy on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Any transaction should require the signature of the chairman & treasurer. Was this not the case?
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

spaceman70 wrote:Any transaction should require the signature of the chairman & treasurer. Was this not the case?
No! Was 2 signatures but the chairman wasn't one of them.
The rest will no doubt come out in the court case .
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

WCDPA wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:Any transaction should require the signature of the chairman & treasurer. Was this not the case?
Well the chairman by rights should have been on top of that.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

I hear there was an alleged dodgy tombola at a county match this weekend.
golden_boy
The Ton Club

Post by golden_boy »

i remember reading about this on here when it first happened, dont think it named names then, but did say the actions of the person almost caused lancashire darts to fold.

40k is a lot of money, what checks were in place for this to be allowed to happen? does anyone involved in lancashire darts know if this person had regualr access to the lancashire darts 'kitty'

jail term beckons if the person involved is found guilty, CPS must think they can get a prosecution.

EDIT - I see lancashire darts still lists her as treasurer.

http://www.bdodarts.com/committee.aspx?cid=45
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

golden_boy wrote:i remember reading about this on here when it first happened, dont think it named names then, but did say the actions of the person almost caused lancashire darts to fold.

40k is a lot of money, what checks were in place for this to be allowed to happen? does anyone involved in lancashire darts know if this person had regualr access to the lancashire darts 'kitty'

jail term beckons if the person involved is found guilty, CPS must think they can get a prosecution.
I very much doubt a jail term ensues. In my professional capacity I recently dealt with a £100k+ fraud involving the VAT man. The guy had to repay the money and got 200 hours community service, that's all.
golden_boy
The Ton Club

Post by golden_boy »

spaceman70 wrote:
golden_boy wrote:i remember reading about this on here when it first happened, dont think it named names then, but did say the actions of the person almost caused lancashire darts to fold.

I very much doubt a jail term ensues. In my professional capacity I recently dealt with a £100k+ fraud involving the VAT man. The guy had to repay the money and got 200 hours community service, that's all.

thats a completely different scenario. what happened hear is theft. will she be able to repay the 40k?
Sawley Al
Steady Sixties

Post by Sawley Al »

WCDPA wrote:
Sums this up really. One rotten apple on a big rotten apple branch from a big rotten apple tree!

Only one apple to date has fallen!
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

golden_boy wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:

thats a completely different scenario. what happened hear is theft. will she be able to repay the 40k?
Defrauding HMRC is theft too, yes she can repay it no matter how long it takes.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

The Cat wrote:I hear there was an alleged dodgy tombola at a county match this weekend.
Ha!
Not exactly crime of the century, a mistake was made is all.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
robdave2k
Steady Sixties

Post by robdave2k »

spaceman70 wrote:
golden_boy wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:

Defrauding HMRC is theft too, yes she can repay it no matter how long it takes.
Technically isn't theft though is it Dave - it's tax evasion - a completely different kettle of fish. Still at least he wasn't charged with tax avoidance, as that would have resulted in hanging, drawing and quartering. It seems to be flavour of the month, even though legal :D

The court will go easier on her as she is a woman - that's a fact unfortunately. Likewise whether she pleads guilty or not will have an effect on the sentence.

I'd rather take my chances nicking £100k from the VAT man than I would £40k from an organisation, not that I'm condoning that of course! But someone's head should roll for it.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Plus when you steal from the VAT man. As soon as they realise that they kind of make up the figure you have diddled them out of themselves.
The H
Pub Champion

Post by The H »

Rudy wrote:This "ïncident" once more emphasizes the need, for any organization, to have a controller regularly check the bookkeeper's activities!
+1