German Open

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
The Jolly Man
County Player

Re: German Open

Post by The Jolly Man »

Ginge wrote:Surely they arent going to hold it on a Friday night?! Good luck with that, it more or less writes off the weekend for the players if there is an event the next day in Europe somewhere.
Whats the minimum someone will turn up for all 10 weeks? £500, £400?? £200??

Multiply it by 10 then 12 and that has to be a minimum. Then of course for each place higher than the bottom you need more prize money.

At best they have to have about £156,000 set aside for prize money based on £2000 prize money for 12th and an average of £2,000 prize increase per place higher you reach.

Then I would assume all 10/11 venues want paying up front with this untried/untested event.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Ginge wrote:Surely they arent going to hold it on a Friday night?! Good luck with that, it more or less writes off the weekend for the players if there is an event the next day in Europe somewhere.
Proves my point though Bradders, whether it's Wednesday , Friday or Monday morning they need players who can commit to all the dates , its now April and nobody ( players ) seems to know.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Ginge wrote:
Zeyes wrote:
They could hold it in the early afternoon and broadcast it on tape delay...
You are assuming it is being broadcast, there :D
Now where's that "that's the joke" pic... ;)

The Jolly Man wrote:

Multiply it by 10 then 12 and that has to be a minimum. Then of course for each place higher than the bottom you need more prize money.

At best they have to have about £156,000 set aside for prize money based on £2000 prize money for 12th and an average of £2,000 prize increase per place higher you reach.
Nah, even the PDC's PL doesn't increase its prize money that steeply...they start at 20k for last place and the semifinalists (3rd/4th place essentially) receive only 3x as much, in your approach it would have to be 7x.

I still think an "elite" BDO competition would work better as a series of stand-alone mini tournaments, anyway. (Like those modern-style exbos.) That would also minimize the issue of players not being able to commit to all dates...just get in other high-ranked players to fill out the 12-player field if needed. They could still run a ranking list for the tournament series and have a finals night, it just wouldn't be a proper league. Minimum prize money? 5k per event would do it, I reckon:

£800 = Prelim £200 x4
£1200 = QF £300 x4
£1000 = SF £500 x2
£800 = Runner-up
£1200 = Winner

Semifinalists from one event to be seeded into the last 8 of the next one. (Which would hopefully increase their likelihood of committing.) I don't think such a competition would have to run on a weekly schedule anyway...just compare the way the PDC does the PL (weekly for TV reasons) to the way they've done the CLOD (scheduled where possible). And if the events were only running every three or four weeks, you probably wouldn't need to have players commit for the whole series up-front, because there'd be enough time in between events to draft replacement players.

Having 11 games per event would also provide a lot more bang for the buck than a mere 6 games/night league would. Let's not forget, they do need a paying audience for a Super Series, whatever shape it's going to take.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Zeyes wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Zeyes wrote:
They could hold it in the early afternoon and broadcast it on tape delay...
You are assuming it is being broadcast, there :D
Now where's that "that's the joke" pic... ;)

The Jolly Man wrote:

Nah, even the PDC's PL doesn't increase its prize money that steeply...they start at 20k for last place and the semifinalists (3rd/4th place essentially) receive only 3x as much, in your approach it would have to be 7x.

I still think an "elite" BDO competition would work better as a series of stand-alone mini tournaments, anyway. (Like those modern-style exbos.) That would also minimize the issue of players not being able to commit to all dates...just get in other high-ranked players to fill out the 12-player field if needed. They could still run a ranking list for the tournament series and have a finals night, it just wouldn't be a proper league. Minimum prize money? 5k per event would do it, I reckon:

£800 = Prelim £200 x4
£1200 = QF £300 x4
£1000 = SF £500 x2
£800 = Runner-up
£1200 = Winner

Semifinalists from one event to be seeded into the last 8 of the next one. (Which would hopefully increase their likelihood of committing.) I don't think such a competition would have to run on a weekly schedule anyway...just compare the way the PDC does the PL (weekly for TV reasons) to the way they've done the CLOD (scheduled where possible). And if the events were only running every three or four weeks, you probably wouldn't need to have players commit for the whole series up-front, because there'd be enough time in between events to draft replacement players.

Having 11 games per event would also provide a lot more bang for the buck than a mere 6 games/night league would. Let's not forget, they do need a paying audience for a Super Series, whatever shape it's going to take.
But does a players still want to commit for 10 weeks and only take home £2000?? What could someone get by doing a few exbos? Even in your cheaper way of doing things they still need £50,000 in prize money + final night money which would probably have to be minimum £10,000. Do they have £60,000 sat around after the rumoured losses of the first event
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Never fear, Pickled Walnut Sandwich Shop will step in and save the day again...
Big Jock Knew
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

The Jolly Man wrote:But does a players still want to commit for 10 weeks and only take home £2000??
Depends on the scheduling, I suppose. It's not cost-effective if they're going to expect players to show up all over the country in random weeks, but if they could take a page out of the previous failed Super Series and book dates/venues near major British BDO/WDF tournaments, it might work. Monday nights after the ranked tournament, perhaps? Surely even the most remote BDO tournament locations have a population centre of some note within 2 hours driving distance. (Okay, excluding Turkish Cyprus...)

Of course, this is something that probably needs to be planned a year in advance, not a couple of months. And it would kill any notion that this could be run as a true weekly series (which I just don't think is feasible unless they find a major sponsor).
The Jolly Man wrote:What could someone get by doing a few exbos? Even in your cheaper way of doing things they still need £50,000 in prize money + final night money which would probably have to be minimum £10,000. Do they have £60,000 sat around after the rumoured losses of the first event
That's always the elephant in the room. If there's no money and/or no fan interest, nothing else really matters.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

German open seedings a mystery lol, bit of BDO bit of Wdf and German seedings lol,
Also German open prides itself on not having a VIP room and boasts about all mixing together!! ................. This is true unless you are a German they had a German VIP room , so glad they didn't win anything.
Although creditable show by Irina in the ladies.
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

WCDPA wrote:German open seedings a mystery lol, bit of BDO bit of Wdf and German seedings lol,
Also German open prides itself on not having a VIP room and boasts about all mixing together!! ................. This is true unless you are a German they had a German VIP room , so glad they didn't win anything.
Although creditable show by Irina in the ladies.

That is somewhat misleading Paul.

On seedings they have always done this the same way. Take the ladies event, there were 16 groups, in groups 1, 3,5, etc they seed 8 ladies from the wdf rankings, in groups 2, 4, 6 etc they seed 8 German ladies from the DDV rankings. This is because the german events are DDV ranked and they use the DDV rankings for selection of the national team. Even if they didn`t seed the germans on the even numbered groups the 8 bdo/wdf seeds would have stayed the same number, 8. Which is actually better than, for example, the Isle of Man, where they make up their own seeding.

It has been done this way for many years. If they didn`t seed the German players it doesn`t mean that they would have more seeds than 8 from the wdf/bdo. They use the groups with no wdf/bdo seeds on to put their own seeds.

In the mens event there were 128 groups and they used 32 of these groups for german seeds. It is not as though they would have seeded 128 men from bdo/wdf rankings so it really doesn`t effect people from other countries.

As for the vip room.... you mean `cloakroom`. The event is run and staffed by players and people from Bochum dart club. They have a room where they can leave their coats, bags etc whilst they work behind a bar, or serve food or whatever to all the other people at the event. The don`t get paid for this but the least they can expect is to have a place where they know their coats, bags etc are safe. Just to put this into perspective the room is hardly bigger than my kitchen and is far smaller than my sitting room. No tables, no chairs, just the wooden benches you get in school gym changing rooms.

Someone put up a dartmate in the cloakroom. Hardly a vip room.
Image ImageImage Image
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

avalon wrote:As for the vip room.... you mean `cloakroom`. The event is run and staffed by players and people from Bochum dart club. They have a room where they can leave their coats, bags etc whilst they work behind a bar, or serve food or whatever to all the other people at the event. The don`t get paid for this but the least they can expect is to have a place where they know their coats, bags etc are safe. Just to put this into perspective the room is hardly bigger than my kitchen and is far smaller than my sitting room. No tables, no chairs, just the wooden benches you get in school gym changing rooms.
Maybe Paul has modest expectations of a VIP room. ;)

The Sunday (German Masters) event has been added to the men's BDO rankings now with Cat A points. Saturday (German Open) still missing - in fact, they still have last year's German Open on there for some reason.
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

Zeyes wrote:
avalon wrote:As for the vip room.... you mean `cloakroom`. The event is run and staffed by players and people from Bochum dart club. They have a room where they can leave their coats, bags etc whilst they work behind a bar, or serve food or whatever to all the other people at the event. The don`t get paid for this but the least they can expect is to have a place where they know their coats, bags etc are safe. Just to put this into perspective the room is hardly bigger than my kitchen and is far smaller than my sitting room. No tables, no chairs, just the wooden benches you get in school gym changing rooms.
Maybe Paul has modest expectations of a VIP room. ;)

The Sunday (German Masters) event has been added to the men's BDO rankings now with Cat A points. Saturday (German Open) still missing - in fact, they still have last year's German Open on there for some reason.

The German Open from last year will stay there until this years has been done ( I think )
Image ImageImage Image
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

avalon wrote:The German Open from last year will stay there until this years has been done ( I think )
You mean until the adding-the-points-to-the-table thing has been done? I guess so. Just odd to be adding them out of order (or to post a half-updated table in the first place).