Welsh open 2014

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Re: Welsh open 2014

Post by spaceman70 »

Didn't see any of that, I'm just surprised I'm watching 5 hours of darts on the TV with £2k prize money.
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

spaceman70 wrote:Didn't see any of that, I'm just surprised I'm watching 5 hours of darts on the TV with £2k prize money.
£100 guaranteed for one match when you are already at a venue for a comp is not to be sniffed at and there have been very few opportunities on the BDO side of the fence for this over recent times.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Ecky Thump wrote:
£100 guaranteed for one match when you are already at a venue for a comp is not to be sniffed at and there have been very few opportunities on the BDO side of the fence for this over recent times.
A normal 8 hour day on minimum gives you £52 quid so it's hardly something to get excited about !

P.S can someone there tell the camera guy ( or adjust his phone settings) who is shooting the lower 1/2 of the board he is filming in 4:3 format but they are broadcasting it in 16:9
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Adams brain frazzled there.
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

el_ringo wrote:
Ecky Thump wrote:
A normal 8 hour day on minimum gives you £52 quid so it's hardly something to get excited about !

P.S can someone there tell the camera guy ( or adjust his phone settings) who is shooting the lower 1/2 of the board he is filming in 4:3 format but they are broadcasting it in 16:9
I didn't say it was something to get excited about, but it's money in the players pockets.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Ecky Thump wrote:
el_ringo wrote:
Ecky Thump wrote:

I didn't say it was something to get excited about, but it's money in the players pockets.
Sure one or two of the players earnt a shilling or 2 with patches , tomorrow will be a good watch .
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Just seen that AB the guy involved with eurosport production said 7miliion people worldwide saw this programme ( only quoting )
Editing a news highlight programme as well, they are looking forward to the challenge of 1200 plus singles entries in a day , to be completed by 8pm .
Deta , Ana and the seeded ladies don't even start until 3pm , ladies have 230+ entries.
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

WCDPA wrote:Just seen that AB the guy involved with eurosport production said 7miliion people worldwide saw this programme ( only quoting )
Editing a news highlight programme as well, they are looking forward to the challenge of 1200 plus singles entries in a day , to be completed by 8pm .
Deta , Ana and the seeded ladies don't even start until 3pm , ladies have 230+ entries.

228 entries about 20 more than last year. Just looked back to 2007, there were 295 entered!! A lot more overseas players then than now.
Image ImageImage Image
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

avalon wrote:
WCDPA wrote:Just seen that AB the guy involved with eurosport production said 7miliion people worldwide saw this programme ( only quoting )

228 entries about 20 more than last year. Just looked back to 2007, there were 295 entered!! A lot more overseas players then than now.
There were about 40 in lithuania yesterday incl an English lady ( lost in semi) and not sure about Hungarian open . Lithuania played double elimination , Lumi Silvan won it ironically after losing to Amanda Abbott in group final.
Paul Coughlin of Scotland won Hungarian and Veronika ilharsz won the ladies beating Danielle Ippelaar (dodgy spelling ) of holland .

Baby boom depleted entries in wales , Aileen and Floortje!.
No Tamara or Rachna ,Karin K , Francesca ! 105 ladies at Hayling island , but the welcome return of Mandy Solomans and Sue Edwards .

3 ranking events on same day did they have that back in 2007 john .
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Mike Brookes and Previously mentioned Sue Edwards won mixed pairs beating julie Gore and Jonny Clayton in final, Sue is an awesome player England international and made a return at superleague this year hit a 27.83 1st match , once saw her annihilate Deta at Gold cup.
Will be a very dangerous unseeded player today.
Fergal
Steady Sixties

Post by Fergal »

The walk-ons, the camera work, the lighting, the announcement of the runner up prize, the microphone, the interviews conducted by a blue coat...

Etc etc
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

WCDPA wrote:
avalon wrote:

There were about 40 in lithuania yesterday incl an English lady ( lost in semi) and not sure about Hungarian open . Lithuania played double elimination , Lumi Silvan won it ironically after losing to Amanda Abbott in group final.
Paul Coughlin of Scotland won Hungarian and Veronika ilharsz won the ladies beating Danielle Ippelaar (dodgy spelling ) of holland .

Baby boom depleted entries in wales , Aileen and Floortje!.
No Tamara or Rachna ,Karin K , Francesca ! 105 ladies at Hayling island , but the welcome return of Mandy Solomans and Sue Edwards .

3 ranking events on same day did they have that back in 2007 john .
It wasn`t a criticism Paul, just an observation. In the last few years fewer and fewer ladies from outside of the UK travel to Wales, quite probably it`s largely due to the overall cost. Even if Hungary and Lithuania weren`t on this weekend I don`t think the numbers would have been much higher for `foreigners`.

Aileen is back playing now so maybe we will see her travelling a little bit again soon.

EDIT: Nice to see a little group of 9 Cypriot players ( 8 men and a lady ). Have they been there before?

Ignore that, the answer is yes, there were some there last year too
Image ImageImage Image
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

She is going to Poland next week.
Ginge
International

Welsh open 2014

Post by Ginge »

Given the time of your post, I would say you are quoting utter bollocks. Impossible for any accurate and meaningful worldwide viewing figure to be compiled that quickly. And in any case, many countries have nowhere near the same tracking capabilities of the UK, so the figures are merely estimates which are more than likely way off the mark.
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

The walk ons! Phillips and Dekker trying to persuade the Pontins lady to walk onto the stage. It's not the PDC guys! Drunk players walking through a bunch of drunks, quite funny really. proper darts eh? Wilson's strange dance. And that kid following them down. A bit shambolic really, but you do get a kind of 'family fun' feeling from it.

Top prize £800. But then it's not about the money.

Some great comms, "we will have a new winner this year". You don't say.

But with 7 million viewers it's a move in the right direction. hey I reckon the BDO will soon leave the BBC, you only get about 2 million on that channel. :)

they picked the wrong folks imo. But looking forward to watching today.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

It was darts on TV, new event, let's be happy the bdo managed to get TV coverage, maybe worth investing in decent microphones etc if they continue to be shown. But overall better than what was shown in the past.

Sent from my PMP3970B using Tapatalk
Thinking of one.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

[quote="WCDPA"]Just seen that AB the guy involved with eurosport production said 7miliion people worldwide saw this programme ( only quoting )
Deta , Ana and the seeded ladies don't even start until 3pm , ladies have 230+ entries.[/quote

They wouldn't know figures that quick I don't think and I know Eurosport 2 averages 0.1 % of the viewing audience share , compared to BBC2 with 7% and Sky Sports with 1.7 % ...so would have to be massive European interest to get 7 million....
I didn't see it as Eurosport 2 is not on Sky Go and Britains Got Talent wins the day in our household, plus it didn't actually appeal to me too much if I am honest.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Who was the commentator last night - along with Steve Beaton and will they both be in use tonight?
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Do we know who is playing yet.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk
mc1958
Superleague Player

Post by mc1958 »

I'n guessing Steve Beaton will be in the comms box again as he just tweeted this

James Wilson v Gary Robson
John Walton v Martin Phillips
Martin Adams v steve alker
Martin Atkins v Scott waites