Re: Welsh open 2014

Post by Booji Boy »

Why is it unsafe for a baby?

I dont see the fuss with that at all.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Been too many a wedding and party when my kids were babies. Never a problem, in fact they loved all the racket.
checkmate
County Player

Post by checkmate »

Col wrote:Why is it unsafe for a baby?

well Col if you were out on a night out with your darts mates having a good piss up the last thing you want sitting next to you is some family moaning about how your carrying on because they choose to have a baby with them in that kind of environment , only takes one pissed up idiot to tell them to F-off and things kick off from there , any sensible parent would not be sitting in a room with over a thousand drunks with a baby at 11 at night anyway ................... would they ?
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Col wrote:Been too many a wedding and party when my kids were babies. Never a problem, in fact they loved all the racket.
Ginge I agree the dart events you go to are not suitable for babies , and nether is Scottish open, but a holiday camp kids ( babies ) love, loads of areas to go to in main hall in Prestatyn you have a play arcade next door with kids rides etc , playgrounds etc . Babies love noise and lights etc .
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

checkmate wrote:

well Col if you were out on a night out with your darts mates having a good piss up the last thing you want sitting next to you is some family moaning about how your carrying on because they choose to have a baby with them in that kind of environment , only takes one pissed up idiot to tell them to F-off and things kick off from there , any sensible parent would not be sitting in a room with over a thousand drunks with a baby at 11 at night anyway ................... would they ?
I would expect people to behave themselves if they were sat next to a table with a baby, if not then they are chav scum and its their problem.

I have been to many a wedding and party full of chav scum (family as well) with the weans at way past eleven. If it kicks off it kicks off not the fault of the baby or the parent, its the fault of the idiots.
checkmate
County Player

Post by checkmate »

Col wrote:
checkmate wrote:

I would expect people to behave themselves if they were sat next to a table with a baby, if not then they are chav scum and its their problem.

I have been to many a wedding and party full of chav scum (family as well) with the weans at way past eleven. If it kicks off it kicks off not the fault of the baby or the parent, its the fault of the idiots.
it's way different being at a family do where you pretty much know everybody than at something like that
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

No different at all. Most weddings you go to you only know half the people.

We have taken kids on package holidays abroad and taken them to the entertainment at night, never a problem at all. Just because you have a baby shouldnt exclude you from the fun should it.

I wouldnt take a baby to lakeside, ally pally or the like but these events are set up as family friendly and thats the crux. Yes there is always fights and rucks but that is just pissed chavs for you. In the end its the parents choice and its not up to you or i to say who can take a baby and who cant.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

WCDPA wrote:
Col wrote:Been too many a wedding and party when my kids were babies. Never a problem, in fact they loved all the racket.
Ginge I agree the dart events you go to are not suitable for babies
NO darts event is suitable for babies, IMO. And this isn't a cross code thing, it's the same everywhere.
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

I am sure someone has asked this question, or made the point (can't seem to find it, thought it was trotter) but how many of the folks attending did so because they where playing, entering the comps? great that so many go. Paul has said a lot of families, mostly form the darting scene. I can see the appeal of enjoying a weekend if watching, playing darts and meeting old mates etc.

But looking at the future, not of this event but new comps that the BDOE want to start:

If the BDOE put a weekend on, say at this venue, in a similar vein as the PDC UK open with say 64 or 32 players actually playing, would the folks be willing to come and pay to watch, without the singles/doubles etc being attached?

If they would you could see a start of a revival for the BDO. Though at the cost of having to look after the top players a little bit more and not having all comps open to everyone.

At the moment I am double minded on how I see things developing. great news for the BDO with this ongoing link up with Eurosport but is it a new dawn or a false one?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Ginge wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
Ginge I agree the dart events you go to are not suitable for babies
NO darts event is suitable for babies, IMO. And this isn't a cross code thing, it's the same everywhere.
Holiday camp events are perfectly suitable as they are family friendly and have always been sold as that.

This is you, we all know you hate kids.

checkmate
County Player

Post by checkmate »

devosteve wrote:I am sure someone has asked this question, or made the point (can't seem to find it, thought it was trotter) but how many of the folks attending did so because they where playing, entering the comps? great that so many go. Paul has said a lot of families, mostly form the darting scene. I can see the appeal of enjoying a weekend if watching, playing darts and meeting old mates etc.

But looking at the future, not of this event but new comps that the BDOE want to start:

If the BDOE put a weekend on, say at this venue, in a similar vein as the PDC UK open with say 64 or 32 players actually playing, would the folks be willing to come and pay to watch, without the singles/doubles etc being attached?

If they would you could see a start of a revival for the BDO. Though at the cost of having to look after the top players a little bit more and not having all comps open to everyone.

At the moment I am double minded on how I see things developing. great news for the BDO with this ongoing link up with Eurosport but is it a new dawn or a false one?
yes I made the point , asking if it was a stand alone event and not attached to a "big" open would anybody actually go and pay to get in and from experiance I would say the answer would be no and I guess the powers that be think the same that is why the tv stuff is attached to opens , one day they will try it and that is when we will all find out for sure , at the blackpool thing they gave out free tickets to all playing and most of them decided not to bother watching the early stuff
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

trotter wrote:It looked crap..it looked dated and the sound mix was appalling for a so called major televised event...sorry if that's not the " party line" but it's true and the coverage will do nothing to attract general sport fans , only die hards who seemingly put up with anything these days because it's , hey ho darts on TV
Where have the "proper " productions gone...the early WDT and IDL events were impressive looking events..proper non dated coverage offering good exposure and good prize money...the BDO is light years behind where it was even then...and people were still moaning then !
Production
Have to agree. Saturday looked terrible, Sunday was a bit better. They should get at least the sound and the camera angle fixed!
The walk-ons were a bit messy. Money on Saturday - are you frucking kidding me?

Product
The standard of darts wasnt very good (long day but still...).

Still better than nothing for us hardcores! :headbang:
And if some players get some money out of it - good for them.

Whats the strategy? Riding the coat tails of the PDC to pick up some crumbs?
Darts is so hot because of the PDC. Love it or hate but the PL and some of the PDC events are the juice.
Coverage, sponsors, fans and drawing power all over the world (not exactly but you get my drift)!

Funny to read comments (way back when they still did updates/news) from BDO events and Generate about the fast growing, hip, cool and all that jazz
product called darts. As if the BDO/WDF plays a part in that domain.

What was the Invitational about? Should this attract new fans, sponsors...?
How would that work? Is this just to keep the elite staying?

Who are THE Players/Characters of the BDO?
58 years old Martin Adams? Invisible dog or Jumpy?
Dont give me Hankeys view on that! ;)
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

The welsh open was the main event , the 8 person invitational was a last minute add on as camera's were there, most people were playing mixed pairs in other room or relaxing in Chester :).
At moment think the attachment to big opens is a necessity to develope some tv profile for the players, then in the future events might have more of a chance on a stand alone basis .
Its never going to be PL or say Matchplay , but I feel it will find a place in the market place.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Col wrote:I have been to many a wedding and party full of chav scum (family as well) with the weans at way past eleven. If it kicks off it kicks off not the fault of the baby or the parent, its the fault of the idiots.
Of course it would be the idiots' fault, but that's hardly much consolation for the parents or the child if something does happen.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Ginge wrote:
devosteve wrote:Just a question Paul (and others I guess) re the Welsh open having BDO points (i am taking it that it is: apologies if I am wrong, once again re these matters);

Am I right in saying that the Welsh Open is NOT in the wdf ranking table? is there not a rule that clearly states, and even has the word ALL capitalised, that for events to be awarded BDO points they must also be in the wdf ranking system?

"BDO WOMEN’S INVITATION TABLES SYSTEM & STRUCTURE
To be included in this table ALL events should also be recognised and listed in the WDF Ranking System"
Where have you taken that quote from?

There is no requirement for any event to have either BDO and/or WDF points.

If you want BDO points, apply to the BDO for permission
If you want WDF points, apply to the WDF and pay the $1 levy per entered player.

Many events in the Invitational table dont have WDF points. IoM for starters.
Go to the BDO website. Rules. Section K (invitation tables ladies 2013/2014), second page.

At the top it says this:

"BDO WOMEN’S INVITATION TABLES SYSTEM & STRUCTURE
To be included in this table ALL events should also be recognised and listed in the WDF Ranking System
and ALL players listed in the Tables must have complied with the BDO and WDF Eligibility Rules"

I am taking that "ALL events must be listed in the WDF Ranking system" means they must have WDF points? Might be wrong but if I am right then this (and the England Open, IOm etc) can't be given BDO points can they?

Am I reading this right?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Just seen it myself. Does the same apply to the men?
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Ginge wrote:Just seen it myself. Does the same apply to the men?
Not sure. Just thought it qwass interesting the the UK ladies where upset with the European event (Germany I think) the other week with them 'breaking' the rules when, if I have read that rule correctly, the rules are not entirely kept within the uk opens.

The fact Paul didn't correct my post may indicate he knew about this rule? I know the BDO won't withdraw points and they have, I think, an overriding rule when it is needed re condition etc. It was just in the context of the uk ladies threatening not to play and spoiling the german open somewhat.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

The rules concerning the invitational rankings are being reviewed , especially the ladies which are outdated , the board have asked Frank Branscombe to carry this out, and have asked others to give input, at least this board have acted where others haven't bothered the rules and events will be in place for sept 1st for next season , something we have asked for these past 5 years.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

WCDPA wrote:
The rules concerning the invitational rankings are being reviewed , especially the ladies which are outdated , the board have asked Frank Branscombe to carry this out, and have asked others to give input, at least this board have acted where others haven't bothered the rules and events will be in place for sept 1st for next season , something we have asked for these past 5 years.
So according to the current (if out dated and under review) rules the welsh open (the ladies that is) should not have been given BDO points?
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

devosteve wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
So according to the current (if out dated and under review) rules the welsh open (the ladies that is) should not have been given BDO points?
If you follow the rules to the letter many events wouldn't get points in the men's!
IOM, Welsh open , England open wouldn't in the ladies, the ladies according to the rule book aren't affected as much because they havent any rules ( seedings, formats etc ) this is what the board are currently addressing.
In fairness to them this hasn't been addressed for years, at least they are taking action.