Darts Points - Changing them yourself

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
A.Dev
Pub Champion

Darts Points - Changing them yourself

Post by A.Dev »

Just recently I've had to change my throw because of the dreaded, I won't say it but you all know, the D word.
Now I have one finger on the dart point when I throw and it's working for me, so I'm thinking of putting some of those grooved points in my darts to help me hold it in the same place every time. I was just wondering if any of you have changed your points yourself without using the re-pointing machine as I've read it can be done with ordinary pliers, hammer etc.
Just wondering has it worked for you ?

Andrew

The Dart Destroyer - THE DARTS WRITER
markveg
Brass Darts

Re: Darts Points - Changing them yourself

Post by markveg »

I use the same unicorn needle points and I tried using the pliers and hammer theory before I bought my repointer. Didn't work for me although I never had access to a workbench or vice which may make it easier.

I bought one of the £38 point pullers, can't remember the manufacturer and it was the best thing I could have done. Really easy to use and changes points in under 5 minutes.
A.Dev
Pub Champion

Post by A.Dev »

Cheers for that Markveg, i may invest in one of those.

Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

To get the points out any pop rivot gun will do the trick - these can be bought for only a couple of quid.

To put the new points in - I have used two blocks of wood and a hammer before now and does the job ok.

Recently bought the Unicorn Unitool but I don't think it's worth the money.
A.Dev
Pub Champion

Post by A.Dev »

Stubby wrote:To get the points out any pop rivot gun will do the trick - these can be bought for only a couple of quid.

To put the new points in - I have used two blocks of wood and a hammer before now and does the job ok.

Recently bought the Unicorn Unitool but I don't think it's worth the money.
That sounds good to me, only a couple of quid.
Going to give this a go, using one of my old darts first as a tester.

Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

I use the A180 re-pointer and find it very good and very easy. There is something therapeutic about sitting down for 10 mins and changing points.

It’s the going out and still playing wank (just trying the swear filter!) that gets me.

fuck
twat
cunt

intersting.
King-Juffy-Jar
Steady Sixties

Post by King-Juffy-Jar »

I have changed points on mine a few times and also on friends darts, I just put the point in a Vice and the put the claw end of the hammer under the barrel and gently work it free.

Then to replace the new point, just put the new point in the vice (WRAPPED IN BOG ROLL TO PROTECT IT) and then, with a copper headed mallet just tap the barrel onto the new point.

Helps if you have access to an engineers shop/station.