Bullseyes and Beer - 15 Dec BBC4

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Booji Boy
International

Re: Bullseyes and Beer - 15 Dec BBC4

Post by Booji Boy »

Just watched it and thought it was excellent. Havent read London Fields before either so will now go and download that on to my Kindle.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

I agree that in a list of great players then Bobby George would be nowhere...he's definitely not one of the greats....Whitcombe was mentioned as comparable but I would have Whitcombe far higher than George who dipped out of tournament play too early to be considered a great.
But in terms of recognised dart players then George must be up there among the best known...he is very media savvy, very businesslike and has carved out a great career and lifestyle so fair play to him.....if it was just based purely on the dartboard he'd be well down the all time list.
StevieB
Brass Darts

Post by StevieB »

trotter wrote:I agree that in a list of great players then Bobby George would be nowhere...he's definitely not one of the greats....Whitcombe was mentioned as comparable but I would have Whitcombe far higher than George who dipped out of tournament play too early to be considered a great.
But in terms of recognised dart players then George must be up there among the best known...he is very media savvy, very businesslike and has carved out a great career and lifestyle so fair play to him.....if it was just based purely on the dartboard he'd be well down the all time list.
Well put and i agree with such ^^

Quick edit - Actually just not long watched the Eric Bristow programme which was taped
after this Bullseyes and Beer ended and i enjoyed watching Bristow in his heyday
and although i heard many against him because of his showing off yrs back

i knew also back in them days in 1979 etc that he was only copying that style from
Muhammad Ali the boxer whom also wasn't slow to show off to his opponents

and in a way it possibly had opponents trying too hard to hit their form v him
in that they were beat even before they put toe to the oche

I liked Bristow yrs ago and thought he was fun with his banter
and i smiled at the many serious people here whom could not stand him
as i knew it was all a put on

although he obviously probably did fancy his chances from winning v anyone in the game
at that time > and why not as he was the best of the rest the majority of the time in his heyday.
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

trotter wrote:I agree that in a list of great players then Bobby George would be nowhere...he's definitely not one of the greats....Whitcombe was mentioned as comparable but I would have Whitcombe far higher than George who dipped out of tournament play too early to be considered a great.
He remained "loyal" as well, which helps his cause with some.

As you say, he's made a good life for himself, and a World Championship doesn't guarantee that.

The BBC overuse him during Lakeside, but that's part of the flaws in the coverage.

Thought the programme was ok, but could have been better. Third on the last behind the Blood on the Carpet and The Power of Darts. Enjoyed Arrows more. I'd love to get into the BBC's archive though, must be loads of gems in there,
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

trotter wrote:
el_ringo wrote:
mc1958 wrote:
rabsmith2 wrote:Great to see the old footage of the greats. Maureen Flowers at her peak would she be todays ladies number one?Think so.
I think Linda Batten was a better player - at her peak I reckon she would be ladies number 1 now

Ridiculous Deta at her peak would always be the greatest Ladies dart player and world no1 at any time in ladies history

I think Deta goes under the radar a bit as she had packed it in when the Ladies World Champs were formed and then came back and played the men in the PDC...what she was before all that, and what she's achieved since her BDO comeback has been amazing and it would be a travesty if she retired without a Lakeside World title to her name really.
Exactly if she hadn't had the 'lost' part of her career there is no way on earth Trina would of been such a multiple World Champion.

For all the fun poking at ladies darts she is the only ladies darts player who has ever really be competitive with the men.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

el_ringo wrote:Exactly if she hadn't had the 'lost' part of her career there is no way on earth Trina would of been such a multiple World Champion.

For all the fun poking at ladies darts she is the only ladies darts player who has ever really be competitive with the men.
Ehum

[youtube][/youtube]
Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

ChrisW wrote:
el_ringo wrote:Exactly if she hadn't had the 'lost' part of her career there is no way on earth Trina would of been such a multiple World Champion.

Ehum

[youtube][/youtube]

I was there that night - the crowd really never gave Vincent a chance, virtually everyone was willing Ana on.

I marked her last comp on the Pro tour and remember her being 4-1 down to Michael Smith and then hit 4 sub 15 dart legs in a row to go 5-4 up lost the next and won the decider in another 13 or 14 darter, best I had seen her play on the tour. But it shows she could compete but too few and far between.

Unfortunately the next game was against Gary Anderson who beat her 6-0 with the longest leg being 14 darts, she never stood a chance.
StevieB
Brass Darts

Post by StevieB »

I wouldn't wanna play darts v Anastasia :wink: :wink:
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

You seem to be overlooking the fact that Deta in the twilight of her career beats Ana regularly now.
The peak Deta would of absolutely dominated ladies darts in a Taylor way.
Without being patronising all I can assume is that perhaps not many people , due to lack of coverage etc, saw Deta play in her earlier years.
Maureen Flowers etc and the others of that era were really not much better than a good pub player and really were some what below the standard of ladies darts we see at Lakeside in today's times.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

el_ringo wrote:You seem to be overlooking the fact that Deta in the twilight of her career beats Ana regularly now.
Without being patronising all I can assume is that perhaps not many people , due to lack of coverage etc, saw Deta play in her earlier years.
Maureen Flowers etc and the others of that era were really not much better than a good pub player and really were some what below the standard of ladies darts we see at Lakeside in today's times.
Not really correct.
Take a look at DDB from the last couple of years, Ana is well ahead on H2H.

Date Tournament Category Round Result Opponent Score
06/12/2014 Womens Zuiderduin Masters WOM 1 Last 6 Group Won Deta Hedman 4 V 0
27/09/2014 Womens WDF Europe Cup WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 7 V 5
14/09/2014 Womens England Classic WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 4 V 2
14/09/2014 Womens England Matchplay WOM U Quarter Final Won Deta Hedman 4 V 2
17/08/2014 Womens Antwerp Open WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 2 V 0
13/07/2014 Womens England Masters WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 4 V 3
12/07/2014 Womens England National Championships WOM 1 Quarter Final Won Deta Hedman 3 V 0
08/06/2014 Womens BDO International Open WOM 1 Final Lost Deta Hedman 2 V 5
18/05/2014 Womens Welsh Open WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 5 V 2
07/12/2013 Womens Zuiderduin Masters WOM 1 Last 6 Group Won Deta Hedman 4 V 2
19/10/2013 Womens Tops of Ghent WOM 1 Semi Final Won Deta Hedman 5 V 4
15/09/2013 Womens England Matchplay WOM U Quarter Final Lost Deta Hedman 2 V 4
04/08/2013 Womens Belgium Open WOM 1 Semi Final Lost Deta Hedman 4 V 5
23/06/2013 Womens England Open WOM 1 Semi Final Lost Deta Hedman 0 V 4
02/06/2013 Womens Welsh Classic WOM 1 Quarter Final Lost Deta Hedman 1 V 4
08/12/2012 Womens Zuiderduin Masters WOM 1 Last 6 Group Won Deta Hedman 4 V 1
16/11/2012 Womens Jersey Classic WOM 1 Quarter Final Lost Deta Hedman 2 V 3
14/07/2012 Womens British Classic WOM 1 Final Lost Deta Hedman 2 V 4
24/06/2012 Womens England Open WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 4 V 3
20/05/2012 Womens Welsh Open WOM 1 Final Lost Deta Hedman 3 V 4
18/03/2012 Womens Hal Open WOM 1 Semi Final Lost Deta Hedman 3 V 5
13/01/2012 Womens World Championship WOM WC Final Won Deta Hedman 2 V 1
10/12/2011 Womens Zuiderduin Masters WOM 1 Last 6 Group Lost Deta Hedman 1 V 4
27/11/2011 Womens Sunparks Masters WOM 1 Semi Final Lost Deta Hedman 4 V 5
22/10/2011 Womens Tops of Ghent WOM 1 Semi Final Won Deta Hedman 5 V 2
07/08/2011 Womens Belgium Open WOM 1 Quarter Final Lost Deta Hedman 1 V 4
17/07/2011 Womens England Masters WOM 1 Quarter Final Won Deta Hedman 3 V 2
11/06/2011 Womens BDO International Open WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 3 V 2
20/02/2011 Womens Scottish Open WOM 1 Last 16 Won Deta Hedman 3 V 2
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

ChrisW wrote:
Not really correct.
What have their rankings been over the current period ?
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

el_ringo wrote:
ChrisW wrote:
Not really correct.
What have their rankings been over the current period ?
See above.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

ChrisW wrote:
el_ringo wrote:You seem to be overlooking the fact that Deta in the twilight of her career beats Ana regularly now.
Not really correct.

Date Tournament Category Round Result Opponent Score
06/12/2014 Womens Zuiderduin Masters WOM 1 Last 6 Group Won Deta Hedman 4 V 0
27/09/2014 Womens WDF Europe Cup WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 7 V 5
14/09/2014 Womens England Classic WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 4 V 2
14/09/2014 Womens England Matchplay WOM U Quarter Final Won Deta Hedman 4 V 2
17/08/2014 Womens Antwerp Open WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 2 V 0
13/07/2014 Womens England Masters WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 4 V 3
12/07/2014 Womens England National Championships WOM 1 Quarter Final Won Deta Hedman 3 V 0
08/06/2014 Womens BDO International Open WOM 1 Final Lost Deta Hedman 2 V 5
18/05/2014 Womens Welsh Open WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 5 V 2
07/12/2013 Womens Zuiderduin Masters WOM 1 Last 6 Group Won Deta Hedman 4 V 2
19/10/2013 Womens Tops of Ghent WOM 1 Semi Final Won Deta Hedman 5 V 4
15/09/2013 Womens England Matchplay WOM U Quarter Final Lost Deta Hedman 2 V 4
04/08/2013 Womens Belgium Open WOM 1 Semi Final Lost Deta Hedman 4 V 5
23/06/2013 Womens England Open WOM 1 Semi Final Lost Deta Hedman 0 V 4
02/06/2013 Womens Welsh Classic WOM 1 Quarter Final Lost Deta Hedman 1 V 4
08/12/2012 Womens Zuiderduin Masters WOM 1 Last 6 Group Won Deta Hedman 4 V 1
16/11/2012 Womens Jersey Classic WOM 1 Quarter Final Lost Deta Hedman 2 V 3
14/07/2012 Womens British Classic WOM 1 Final Lost Deta Hedman 2 V 4
24/06/2012 Womens England Open WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 4 V 3
20/05/2012 Womens Welsh Open WOM 1 Final Lost Deta Hedman 3 V 4
18/03/2012 Womens Hal Open WOM 1 Semi Final Lost Deta Hedman 3 V 5
13/01/2012 Womens World Championship WOM WC Final Won Deta Hedman 2 V 1
10/12/2011 Womens Zuiderduin Masters WOM 1 Last 6 Group Lost Deta Hedman 1 V 4
27/11/2011 Womens Sunparks Masters WOM 1 Semi Final Lost Deta Hedman 4 V 5
22/10/2011 Womens Tops of Ghent WOM 1 Semi Final Won Deta Hedman 5 V 2
07/08/2011 Womens Belgium Open WOM 1 Quarter Final Lost Deta Hedman 1 V 4
17/07/2011 Womens England Masters WOM 1 Quarter Final Won Deta Hedman 3 V 2
11/06/2011 Womens BDO International Open WOM 1 Final Won Deta Hedman 3 V 2
20/02/2011 Womens Scottish Open WOM 1 Last 16 Won Deta Hedman 3 V 2

From that list it looks like it's only in the last year or so that Ana has got the measure of Deta. Before that Deta was winning more than her fair share. From what Pauly says it sounds like Deta is struggling with her shoulder, so her best days may be behind her unfortunately. Think the pair of them are great, women's darts needs someone else to step up and challenge Ana - Aileen, Lisa Ashton and Fallon seem the most likely
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Addicks Fan wrote:

From that list it looks like it's only in the last year or so that Ana has got the measure of Deta. Before that Deta was winning more than her fair share. From what Pauly says it sounds like Deta is struggling with her shoulder, so her best days may be behind her unfortunately.
Exactly Deta's form has declined that's why this has happened Ana hasn't got better her game has stayed about the same. It's just not the same as with the men's where the standard has upped to catch up with Taylor.
The fact that no one considers it a shock result if Deta beats Ana really substantiates what I have said about them as greatest of all time ladies dart players.

& to be fair no current head to head record or any ladies darts I have seen on TV since the ladies worlds was created has / or would ever alter my opinion that the pre break Deta is the greatest lady darter of all time. What's often overlooked with Deta is that her game was still improving when she went on her sabbatical it's more than possible that her best darting years were lost to the sport !
If Ana improves a level and starts winning everything in a way Taylor did in his real dominant period then obviously this opinion could change but sorry given all the darts on TV of Ana I have seen she would always have been second best to the peak years of Deta.
Grubby
Superleague Player

Post by Grubby »

I actually think that Mandy Solomons in the mid/late 90's was the best ladies player I ever saw. She had an unreal pairs game with Sue Edwards and they won many many titles. Deta and Anna are without a doubt best of the rest, Trina thrived on the lakeside stage BUT since Deta came back AND Anna left the PDC she has won considerable less than she did before.
Pete and Eddie Norman did more for darts than a lot of people realise, IF a docu could be done about them and their knowledge it would last longer than an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!
follow me on twitter @grubby1968!!!
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Think Ana is about 18/12 up on the old girl now, wish i had know Deta years ago she wouldnt have packed up, she came back to BDO in 2009 as a near 50 year old.
Think the amazing thing with her performances the past 6 years is that she works a 52 hour week of nights , often playing matches with little or no sleep , to be able to get anywhere near an awesone player like Ana is a,testament to get skill.
Her finest hour was in the mens world Championship Where she lost in the play off match to get to the old embassy finals back in 1995 , ironically to Bobby George.
Ana is the best now as ven when you are beating her she is so dangerous.
The ladies now have about 10 players who can win an event , which is probably no different to the men.....they havent the depth of the men.
Watching her and Ana's rivallry has been great and off the oche they get on great and have the upmost respect for each other, "the snarling black shirted Russian " is a pussycat really ;) .
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Thought it was a great watch - Bristow was the best in the 80's but the show was far from a Bristow love-in.

As for Maureen Flowers, doesn't she still look lovely now as she did back in the 80's?!

But from a playing point of view, I think Flowers if playing today at her top standard would be top 3 easily. She did the 301 plus on Bullseye twice which was a good recognition of how good she was really. Don't forget she practised with the best for years!
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

el_ringo wrote:
trotter wrote:
el_ringo wrote:
mc1958 wrote:
rabsmith2 wrote:Great to see the old footage of the greats. Maureen Flowers at her peak would she be todays ladies number one?Think so.
I think Linda Batten was a better player - at her peak I reckon she would be ladies number 1 now

Ridiculous Deta at her peak would always be the greatest Ladies dart player and world no1 at any time in ladies history

I think Deta goes under the radar a bit as she had packed it in when the Ladies World Champs were formed and then came back and played the men in the PDC...what she was before all that, and what she's achieved since her BDO comeback has been amazing and it would be a travesty if she retired without a Lakeside World title to her name really.
Exactly if she hadn't had the 'lost' part of her career there is no way on earth Trina would of been such a multiple World Champion.

Oh dear.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

ifm wrote:
trotter wrote:
el_ringo wrote:
mc1958 wrote:

Oh dear.
I know.................frightening ain't it. :bat:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Is this on BBC Iplayer or whatever it's called?