115.80 AVERAGE AND LOSES.

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Zeyes
International

Re: 115.80 AVERAGE AND LOSES.

Post by Zeyes »

Keep in mind that it's also highly dependent on the game format. Those numbers are derived exclusively from best of 11's so that's the only thing they should be applied to. Will be easier to win with the lower average in best of 5 or best of 7, and harder in the usual TV game formats (other than the PL).

Col's "8 out of 10" is spot on for the Pro Tour, in any case. The overall winning percentage of the higher-average player was 80.3% in the games that went into the above table.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

PL is almost identical distance to the Pro Tour, I suppose.
Big Jock Knew
callataxi
Pub Champion

Post by callataxi »

DavidOwen67 wrote:Taylor won 4 legs by large margins, Barney won 7 close legs. End of.

Dont have to be so cocky david.

I think we are all aware how averages work and that higher averages can lose if the legs

play out as you say. I was merely stating for those who didnt see it, that losing with 115.80 over 11 legs is some going regardless

of the other average.
Rudy
County Player

Post by Rudy »

I felt if the 144 hadn't gone in, Taylor would have walked the rest of the match. But it did go in - abit equivalent to Deller's 1983 against Bristow who, like Phil, bluffed by not going for the bull and lost both the leg and the match.

When Taylor lost to Wright the other week with his 108 plus average, there was also talk of this being the highest ever losing average, but somehow I seem to remember Taylor losing to Colin Osborne a few years back (2009?) in the Championship of Darts with a 112 or so average and Adie Lewis losing to Phil in the RTL Masters final with about 111 average....
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Every Taylor defeat these days seems to see him with a fairly huge average but losing to a lower average....Taylor will virtually always average over 100 and usually quite a lot over...his scoring is so consistent and treble 19 hitting is so high that he scores 100 plus virtually every visit...so his average is always immense and virtually impossible for his opponent to better....but if his opponent hits his doubles and plays well himself then Taylor can miss vital doubles..it doesn't lower his average much but it can allow his opponent to step in if they are playing well enough themselves.....not easy but it can be done as a few have shown lately.
Bigwilma
Pub Champion

Post by Bigwilma »

DavidOwen67 wrote:Taylor won 4 legs by large margins, Barney won 7 close legs. End of.
Very true David and very simply explained.

Barney had three meh legs on Taylor's throw but in the the others legs played as well as Taylor and finished better.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Barney hit more doubles than Phil, nothing to do with averages.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"