New North American darts tour Championship Darts Circuit

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
The Jolly Man
County Player

Re: New North American darts tour Championship Darts Circuit

Post by The Jolly Man »

I suppose the players winnings will be increased by the two invitational events.

Bug month for USA darts, this event at start of month, think another one at end and the PDC qualifier in the middle of it. Also had the Dartslive event in Canada and at least one BDO ranked event has already happened. Incidently the results has seen Butler overtake Widmayer on the BDO rankings.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

The Jolly Man wrote:Incidently the results has seen Butler overtake Widmayer on the BDO rankings.
Oh dear, can the points allocation be changed retrospectively?
cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

invitational events not on the list but I went back and accounted for that in determining who had won enough to cover the entries. Hopefully Butler will get to Lakeside, for me anyone other than captain mediocre Widmayer. Saw his match stats for 6 of the matches he played over the weekend, 4 of them sub 80, one 92 and an 84 ....not even lakeside standard. Name to look out for Leonard "soldier" Gates, if this guy ever got serious about steel tip darts and stopped messing around with soft tip darts he would be a major contender as one of the top players here in the USA. And hence part of the problem with darts here.....soft tip is a detriment to raising the standard of darts as it is a substitute for the steel side of the game. If all the talent was in one game it would be a better and deeper pool of talent.
Proud member of dart forums....
Scuppering darting business deals since 2015
Proud recipient of the first entry on Fartoids Bullshit-o-meter. Total entries: 7 and counting.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

cannibal wrote:invitational events not on the list but I went back and accounted for that in determining who had won enough to cover the entries. Hopefully Butler will get to Lakeside, for me anyone other than captain mediocre Widmayer. Saw his match stats for 6 of the matches he played over the weekend, 4 of them sub 80, one 92 and an 84 ....not even lakeside standard. Name to look out for Leonard "soldier" Gates, if this guy ever got serious about steel tip darts and stopped messing around with soft tip darts he would be a major contender as one of the top players here in the USA. And hence part of the problem with darts here.....soft tip is a detriment to raising the standard of darts as it is a substitute for the steel side of the game. If all the talent was in one game it would be a better and deeper pool of talent.
Already had my eye on 'The Soldier'. ;)
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

cannibal wrote:invitational events not on the list but I went back and accounted for that in determining who had won enough to cover the entries. Hopefully Butler will get to Lakeside, for me anyone other than captain mediocre Widmayer. Saw his match stats for 6 of the matches he played over the weekend, 4 of them sub 80, one 92 and an 84 ....not even lakeside standard. Name to look out for Leonard "soldier" Gates, if this guy ever got serious about steel tip darts and stopped messing around with soft tip darts he would be a major contender as one of the top players here in the USA. And hence part of the problem with darts here.....soft tip is a detriment to raising the standard of darts as it is a substitute for the steel side of the game. If all the talent was in one game it would be a better and deeper pool of talent.
I think your wish will be granted, as I don't think there are any more ranking events before the Lakeside cut-off, so the current scores are the ones that matter - I think Butler is confirmed as the first regional qualifier for Lakeside 2016!
cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

spaceman70 wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:Incidently the results has seen Butler overtake Widmayer on the BDO rankings.
Oh dear, can the points allocation be changed retrospectively?
If anyone can do it I am sure the BDO can :MAD: . I wouldn't be surprised if they trotted out a points change on the fact that certain events were not seeded or seeded incorrectly therefore deserve a points downgrade. Tournament directors here have a hard time grasping the notion of seeding events, it is also not uncommon for the events not to be played with correct number of minimum legs as well.
Proud recipient of the first entry on Fartoids Bullshit-o-meter. Total entries: 7 and counting.
cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

Well 2016 and we see the CDC tour rolling on with more plans, some in stone and some not. Here is the breakdown for 2015 and what happened.

Accounting: Closing out the year for 2015 saw the CDC put out more money than they brought in by the tune of about 17k, hopefully the sponsors are making that up. By my count about 12 maybe 13 tour card holders made more money in winnings than they paid out for entry. Remember tour card holders where shelling out 200 per event. Including travel and accomodation expenses, I would say maybe 6 or 7 covered that out of the 60 tour card holders. 2 or 3 players not initially tour card holders became tour card holders.

Assesment:
The women invitees....not sure what to make of it probably won the money they did because of the seeding they were given. Upside for them is I don't think they got slaughtered completely, in terms of legs +/- Cali west was a minus 6 (42 legs total) and Robin Curry was minus 2 (38 legs total). Note: not so good for Corrine stockton (can't remember if she was a tour card holder or not) she was a minus 18 for the 48 legs she played.

Larry Butler wins what is being called the Continental Cup aka the grand final. Not surprising Butler, Young, and Part finished the tour in top 4 of the table. Revelations DJ Sayre finished top of the table, showed he can compete and beat consistently some top players in USA. In addition David Fatum showed he can still mix it up and I believe actually reignited his desire. Another one was James Kinney, don't know much about him tho I believed use to be a decent player on his day and this seems to give him a boost to get back into darts again.

Biggest disappointments Olsen, Mawson, Part. Thought Part would walk away with this really and from what I saw in averages allowed himself to get dragged into some pretty crap matches. Mawson and Olson 2 that should have been vying for top 4 spots consistently fell short I think.

Another big disappointment but not really: No Jeff Smith in these, but kudos to Jeff he had a plan to do something else with his limited resources and he executed that and ended up a finalist in Lakeside.

Relief: No Jim Widmayer lol seriously I think Mr Widmayer doing the same as Jeff but trying to get back to Lakeside with his limited resources.

2015 wrapped up from my fans perspective, will do a little post on 2016 planned and expected for CDC
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Thanks for the regular updates. :)
cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

lol let it slip for a few months as details slow in coming out for the new stuff and wanted to see how their first event of the year went off. In addition just need to stir the fire a little bit as my old friend Dartoid will be sure to read this as he is so concerned about the detrimental effect of an American anonymously posting on a UK based dart forum. In American darts we all need to have the same opinion, no questions and march to the same drum or we are traitors......looking for my Dartoid's world official outfit of brown shirt and jackboots practicing my goose stepping now
mapleleafdarts
Steady Sixties

Post by mapleleafdarts »

The Jolly Man wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:
MancheStar wrote:Does the winner qualify for the world championships?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't they have a separate qualifier last year? Not that I've seen anything about this year!
The qualifier is on I think Ontario from memory.

This is independent. It's actually predominantly based in a very small area if USA the guys in charge certainly know what they are trying to do and have the city based Dart Player (city name) franchise as part of its network.
The qualifier was in London, Ontario, which is usually where the tournament is held. Used to be the home for the PDC Players Championship event when there was one.

If memory serves me correctly, Bob Sinneave was one of the driving forces behind this whole thing. Just curious...did this evolve from the NAPDT?
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

What's the format for the CDC?

The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

MancheStar wrote:What's the format for the CDC?

Similar to PDC pro tour. They have "tour card holders". They are currently running 8 q-school events. This gives the tour card holders direct entry to events 8 over 4 weekends. At each weekend there are open qualifiers to make up 64 I think.

Last year there were two invitational events for the top players.

Most players are USA based though players like Part have supported.

I get the impression the three guys in charge no what they are doing and where they want to go. They clearly want to follow the PDC idea and I guess it's up to the PDC if they want to support it. Will be a case of wait and see if they can make a profit and worthwhile before the money runs out or the players get fed up and move onto something else.

A big positive is having most top Americans involved in this
cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

Roll on 2016 for the CDC, just noticed an announcement on their fb page that details soon to be released which will fill in many of the gaps. But what I know so far is

The Plan: Same as last year 4 tour weekends with 2 events each weekend. 2 weekends location and venues set up, they are #3 in Philadelphia this one is new and #4 in Michigan this one same as last year. A Tour final to crown the Continental Cup winner. A CDC Matchplay event middle of the season. An additional new CDC event to be added and a youth event as well. A PDC style Q-School to distribute 32 tour cards, top 4 get tour cards. In addition winner of each q school gets paid entry all events, runner up gets 2 events entry, and joint 3rd gets 1 event entry paid for. Initially the plan was 8 of these q school events only 5 have been scheduled so far in association with local/regional tournaments as an add on event to the weekend. One of these q school events have already gone off in Philadelphia. They had 46 players much more than I expected so Kudos to the organizers especially given they had very little promotion for this event and the associated tournament Philadelphia open was put together rather hastily on the back end of the collapse of the Rae Chesney event. Tournament structure, format, payouts for the tour events has yet to be released but CDC says they are finalized.

Tour cards: 32 will go to the top finishers in the CDC points table, 32 to q-school (that was based on 8 events and they are still hoping to get 8 in the schedule), and 32 wild cards distributed as such:
(8 players that finished top 48 in CDC )
(8 United States players)
(8 Canadian players)
(8 winners of other top level events)
so 96 tour cards. A substantial jump from the 60 they offered before and in light of the fact they only averaged just over 30 attending the 4 weekends last year.

Locations and Venues: Looks like the same formula for venues as last year, stay away from costly hotels and using private clubs and large bar spaces that probably aren't charging them anything as they make a load off the drink. Locations looks like they are moving away from the Mid regions and the idea of make everyone travel long distances. Instead going towards more populous eastern area or at least to established dart havens. Tho it hasn't been announced this should mean Ohio as they did get a sizeable turn out last year and central to some well established darting areas as well as itself being the home to sizeable darting population. This was a no brainer and what they should have done last year, probably a costly mistake for them but hopefully this new approach will help to stem the tide of the losses they faced last year.

Sponsors: looks like they have drawn in a couple smaller sponsors to back the q school events as needed because not sure they will be able to cover the prizes with money in. And it appears Dartoids world will again be putting up money and hosting the CDC fantasy league. So I am sure that will buy Paul Dartoid Seigel and his compatriot Mr Howie Reed at least another year of shitty behavior in their columns all the while staying in the good graces of the darting community. I am wondering if I will be allowed to enter this, should be interesting, do I even want to bother? :grin: In all seriousness this league type of thing is a good way to grow interest, create fans, create buzz, this is a major component missing in American darts fans who are typically participants not spectators. So well done Dartoid your still scum tho :grin:

My biggest complaint is they should have all this stuff announced last year at the end or close to the end of their events so people could plan and build buzz about the coming year. But often in darts not only in the UK but in the states people flying by the seat of their pants pulling it all together later than they should. The idea that early and often promotions with concrete details is taboo for some reason. This effects the ability to get sponsors on board when you need them.

Still alot of things up in the air for the CDC, blundering steps at least in the right direction so that is a good sign. And of course these things take time and as I said before the real judgement of success is weighted heavily on the ability to survive for 3 years. They are in year two so credit them for that.
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

Sounds promising, when would you say the golden age of North american darts was?

cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

The Jolly Man wrote:
MancheStar wrote:What's the format for the CDC?

Similar to PDC pro tour. They have "tour card holders". They are currently running 8 q-school events. This gives the tour card holders direct entry to events 8 over 4 weekends. At each weekend there are open qualifiers to make up 64 I think.

Last year there were two invitational events for the top players.

Most players are USA based though players like Part have supported.

I get the impression the three guys in charge no what they are doing and where they want to go. They clearly want to follow the PDC idea and I guess it's up to the PDC if they want to support it. Will be a case of wait and see if they can make a profit and worthwhile before the money runs out or the players get fed up and move onto something else.

A big positive is having most top Americans involved in this

I can only tell you what happened last year as what the 2016 events are to be not sure yet: Tour card just gives one the privilege of plunking down 200 per event in entry fee and your into the main event of money rounds. No tour card you have to pay 50 to enter a qualifier, winners here get to the main event money rounds (they get their entry fee back). If after a certain number of events as a qualifier you get so many points you have to become a tour card holder or fek off the rest of the year. 2 invitational events are for tour card holders only.

I believe you have to reside in North America to participate, not 100% sure on this as I have yet to see any written rules posted or provided as an official rules book. And to be honest knowing some of the stuff politically these people post I wouldn't be surprised if your south of the border so to say your papers better be in order :DDD:

Know what they are doing, yes, maybe and no but to be honest hard to tell without sitting in on their meetings. I don't know the year by year goals they are setting or even if their is a long term goal with a clear strategy to achieve that and how long and how deep they can sustain losses even if they are. One of the guys has a solid business background, works in banking, finance, real estate. This is the one thing that gives me hope as most of what I have seen in American darts there is little to no business acumen, plenty of con men and that has been the problem. I think this individual is smarter than the average bear and I don't see them leveraging themselves too far in this venture. Another guy involved is flavor of the month in darts in America and rightly so he has built up several events, leagues, and seen substantial growth in his darting ventures locally. This is a bigger venture than anything I have seen him do but at least he has built up to this with his experience. I think he brings new ideas or at least looks out for new ideas to bring to darts and adapts them. And that has desperately been needed. The third guy, don't know what to say about him, everything I hear from him leaves me scratching my head. Kudos to them all because they are some of the few that didn't sit around and wait for the ADO to get its crap together to do something for the top end of the game.

I believe all these guys were involved in NAPDA and still are at least according to the NAPDA page. NAPDA just another acronym does nothing for darts really or at least from what I can see. It merged with Tomlinsons group that he started back when he was trying to get the PDC NA tour going, when the PDC NA tour when tits up left NAPDA with nothing to do but try to look relevant.
cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

MancheStar wrote:Sounds promising, when would you say the golden age of North american darts was?
Not sure we have had one yet to be honest. I like to think of it as we have had an Iron Age and a Bronze Age but haven't had the game here long enough to get a golden age. Haven't been around darts long so my take on it is this Iron Age was the earliest of days centered around Philadelphia in the 70's Ray Fischer who won North American Championship 2 years on the trot, first time he won it throwing American darts aka widdies those wooden things with turkey feather flights. Came back with English style darts as they use to call them and won it again. This was the days of the hotly contested America vs UK events with Fischer beating Evans in a side match for 1k. Still playing league darts is Mr Fischer. Al Iceman Lippman going to News of the world making some noise beating Rees in last 16.

Bronze Age has to be the era mid 80's thru early 90's with Lim, Virachukal, Ney and a couple others seems we had decent number of some quality Americans doing international events then.

If your really desperate to label something golden then has to be the mid 80's use to be number of large tournaments that pretty much all the best shooters went to so concentration of best playing the best regularly provided a much better cauldron for producing dart players than we have now.
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

cannibal wrote:
MancheStar wrote:Sounds promising, when would you say the golden age of North american darts was?
Not sure we have had one yet to be honest. I like to think of it as we have had an Iron Age and a Bronze Age but haven't had the game here long enough to get a golden age. Haven't been around darts long so my take on it is this Iron Age was the earliest of days centered around Philadelphia in the 70's Ray Fischer who won North American Championship 2 years on the trot, first time he won it throwing American darts aka widdies those wooden things with turkey feather flights. Came back with English style darts as they use to call them and won it again. This was the days of the hotly contested America vs UK events with Fischer beating Evans in a side match for 1k. Still playing league darts is Mr Fischer. Al Iceman Lippman going to News of the world making some noise beating Rees in last 16.

Bronze Age has to be the era mid 80's thru early 90's with Lim, Virachukal, Ney and a couple others seems we had decent number of some quality Americans doing international events then.

If your really desperate to label something golden then has to be the mid 80's use to be number of large tournaments that pretty much all the best shooters went to so concentration of best playing the best regularly provided a much better cauldron for producing dart players than we have now.
Is the game growing over there? and what is the more popular steel or soft tip?

mapleleafdarts
Steady Sixties

Post by mapleleafdarts »

cannibal wrote:

To add to this, Canada had had a couple of golden ages. Bob Sinneave was the first golden age with his international appearances and almost winning the World Masters in 1987 against Bob Anderson. Albert Anstey and Allan Hogg contributed to it as well with Lakeside appearances alongside Mr. Sinneave.

The second golden age is the one most people on here will know about. The man who should be an Order of Canada recipient by now (our version of the MBE/CBE/OBE) gave us plenty to cheer about in the mid-90's to mid-2000's.
cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

This is interesting
Probably trying to do to much too early with this. Darts broadcast is a money loser here, it sounds good and god forbid you say it won't work as people here will say you hate darts as they are completely blinkered into thinking if darts just gets on TV and we legalize gambling darts will become popular and make money. The amount there looking for 30k dollars, not sure that will cover production cost and air cost. My guess that is the cost to provide a high quality streamed event. And if that is the case not sure the return you get for that investment is worth it. This will be interesting to see how much they actually can bring in, I am guessing they won't get more than 8k, would be shocked if they got anything over 10k.

Still haven't seen any official rules for the CDC, but I did receive a msg from Mr Eugenia saying that the CDC was open to anyone, players outside North America and south of the border are welcome to compete in their events. Not sure why he felt the need to tell me when he could have just put it in published rules and make them public. Or he could have posted it here himself. They also lowered the cost of entry for tour card holders to 125 an event and lowered the overall payouts. Tour card holder wins one match they get their entry fee back. Good stuff there but the payout structure pays out the same for top 16 and top 32 not sure that makes sense. First place 2k and second 1k just as last year. They still are going to need substantial increase in the numbers they had last year to meet the payouts. Given the money changes and the move to more popular darting locations, not sure if it will be enough to make the payouts but I guess time will tell. Their facebook page is here if anyone is interested in seeing how they do things.
https://www.facebook.com/CDCDarts/
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

For this to survive long term they have to get on board with the PDC. Especially if the PDC is going back to Las Vegas in 2017. Surely in Part if he has enjoyed it and think it works can be asking the right questions to the right people on their behalf. Looking at the set up and where they are going they don't need finance just the link.

If they could be given the PDC worlds qualifier and the U21 Worlds would surely help. Add to that the potential of using its rankings for the USA World Cup squad and from next year some of the local qualifiers for this proposed Las Vegas event it could start to gain a little more momentum and more notice in the USA.

I agree with this idea of the streaming and it not really working. It's where the BDO is/was heading and they have proven it isn't really a stepping stone to TV. It does t bode well if they are asking individuals for money already you get the impression that they have run out of ideas in terms of company sponsorship/partnership. Sounds a bit like the Warren Brown school of thought.