Richie Burnett

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
cannibal
Superleague Player

Re: Richie Burnett

Post by cannibal »

clear as mud? this is drug testing ....for e.g. beta blockers are banned substance and I believe in the BDO comps and comps in many other sports that implement drug testing under the WADA rules. So a positive test in these orgs would mean a violation. Yet in the DRA those who play under the PDC who tested positive would not be in violation as in the PDC this is not a violation. (The PDC may have changed their policy on this the DRA did send a letter to the players explaining that it was more than likely that a positive for beta blockers was sometime in the near future going to be a violation, I don't know if and when that date was set)
Proud member of dart forums....
Scuppering darting business deals since 2015
Proud recipient of the first entry on Fartoids Bullshit-o-meter. Total entries: 7 and counting.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Energy drinks certainly aren't going to test positive......in the speedway world the top riders are heavily tested but Monster sponsor quite a few riders who will try to be seen drinking Monster energy drinks on camera at every opportunity....there's also some Red Bull sponsored riders do the same..
It is a fairly tricky world though, drugs in sport...my brother in law had an official handbook that contained a list of banned substances and there were plenty of things on it contained in everyday things like painkillers and Night Nurse and various things....a lot depended on the amount you took but really there wasn't an excuse to fail a drugs test really, and where proper drugs like cocaine come in there is no excuse whatsoever.
chue05
Steady Sixties

Post by chue05 »

I'm lucky to see and play against him in super league and local tournaments. But saying that, he can no longer play super league as he is in the process of appeal therefore cannot play in either code for the time being. Really hope he gets through it, he's a class act and shows that one slip is all it costs. Last time I heard him say he was going to retire but knowing Richie I don't believe that for one second.
Welshwizard79
Superleague Player

Post by Welshwizard79 »

Richie did an exhibition with Webby and Beaton on Thursday in Hopkinstown to raise money for a young boy who had his leg amputated in an accident.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

trotter wrote:Energy drinks certainly aren't going to test positive......in the speedway world the top riders are heavily tested but Monster sponsor quite a few riders who will try to be seen drinking Monster energy drinks on camera at every opportunity....there's also some Red Bull sponsored riders do the same..
It is a fairly tricky world though, drugs in sport...my brother in law had an official handbook that contained a list of banned substances and there were plenty of things on it contained in everyday things like painkillers and Night Nurse and various things....a lot depended on the amount you took but really there wasn't an excuse to fail a drugs test really, and where proper drugs like cocaine come in there is no excuse whatsoever.
Beg to differ trots, this one I remember well http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/othe ... ed-8481348 as it created a lot of news at the time, there are loads more cases of athletes blaming positive tests on energy drinks or bars but I'm not naive enough to think they are all blameless. I think the problem lies in some of these ingredients are not listed or are listed but under a different name or the plant they are derived from making it almost impossible for the user to actually know what they are taking.

Back to Richie, does anyone know what his plans are?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Why are we talking about energy drinks? Isn't cocaine the drug in question? I don't think you can get that from a couple of glasses of Lucazade.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Welshwizard79
Superleague Player

Post by Welshwizard79 »

Paddy McGinty wrote:Why are we talking about energy drinks? Isn't cocaine the drug in question? I don't think you can get that from a couple of glasses of Lucazade.

Because everything discussed on this forum goes ridiculously off topic within three or four posts.

Starts on a former world champion being banned and when or if he is returning and ends up on lucozade!
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Paddy McGinty wrote:Why are we talking about energy drinks? Isn't cocaine the drug in question? I don't think you can get that from a couple of glasses of Lucazade.
No you normally get it from a dodgy chalet whilst a BDO Darts tournament is on
Sammy
Feather Flights

Post by Sammy »

Welshwizard79 wrote:
Sammy wrote:He is washed up as a player anyway. Drug use is just another step towards his inevitable break down.

Just before his ban he was in the QF of the Grand Prix, last 16 of the Matchplay and had been in a pro tour final which he had darts to win. He was in the top 32 and due to play the WC. I think most players wouldnt mind being that "washed up".

Edited by Admin- p/m sent. Sammy please feel free to p/m back if further explanation required.
Never make eye contact with anyone while eating a banana!!!
Bram_1900
County Player

Post by Bram_1900 »

Jelle Klaasen was allowed back in the game after his sexual harrassment, Phil Taylor after he did fornicate (hope its the right word) a girl, Chris Mason did few comebacks and now got a tv job after he destroyed a guy with a hammer, they all caused personal pain and suffering to people and were welcomed back into the game. RIchie Burnett 'only' did taking coke but never hurt someone with that, and should be banned for life? I can only join nikki in saying that that point of view is very hypocrite.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

I think you're missing the point, sending a picture of yourself to a young woman isn't going to enhance your performance (on the dartboard) and maybe deny someone of a title.
Bram_1900
County Player

Post by Bram_1900 »

Paddy McGinty wrote:I think you're missing the point, sending a picture of yourself to a young woman isn't going to enhance your performance (on the dartboard) and maybe deny someone of a title.
1. how many times exactly is Burnett caught taking coke before a pro tour match? We don't know anything about it, so he is convicted before we exactly know what happened
2. If so, is this worse than someone who has a criminal record letting back into the sports?
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

2/ Well yes if someone has a record for GBH it makes no difference to the way they perform during a competition does it? They are not gaining a unfair advantage, it has no relevance.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Moot I know but I think it was speed, also smoking is not an addiction it is a habit.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

el_ringo wrote:
Incorrect once again ! It was a WDO tournament not a BDO event , try and get your facts right !
nikkiboy
International

Re:

Post by nikkiboy »

ifm wrote:Moot I know but I think it was speed, also smoking is not an addiction it is a habit.
Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances there is, the only people who don't think it is addictive are the people who are addicted.
From the NHS.gov.uk site:

"Even if you want to quit smoking, you may find it difficult because you're addicted to the effects of nicotine. Some research has suggested that nicotine can be more addictive than heroin."
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

WCDPA wrote:
el_ringo wrote:
Incorrect once again ! It was a WDO tournament not a BDO event , try and get your facts right !
If it gets BDO invitational points then one can argue it is effectively a BDO tournament surely
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

nikkiboy wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
el_ringo wrote:
If it gets BDO invitational points then one can argue it is effectively a BDO tournament surely
And presumably forms part of the BDO events published calendar.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
topcat
Brass Darts

Post by topcat »

When you reach the top end of any chosen sport and become a household name you have a personal image to keep up for yourself and your sponsors etc.
Illegal drug use/possession is not seen as a good image in a lot of peoples eyes.
I agree anyone caught using or possessing illegal drugs should be banned, there is no reason to take or posses them.
The main wording here to clarify is illegal drugs.
I believe anyone convicted of an illegal offence which causes the sport to be bought in to disrepute should be banned alas they don't get banned as we all know.
The list of illegal substances is awash with difficulty as it is very hard to know what your consuming.
Darts isn't the only sport which turns a blind eye to certain individuals convictions or habits and leaves a bad taste when one gets punished and others don't,
My own view is of a spectator of darts and do I miss Richie on my TV? no never been a fan since his return always looked half soaked and came across like his brain is on vacation when interviewed after games. Again I feel a bit aggrieved when I see convicted criminals standing on the oche especially sex offenders.
The organisations of darts should have a simple rule, break the law with sex drugs violence fraud or any other big no no and you will get banned regardless of what your name is and stick to it.
All players then know don't be a pratt or you will lose your living.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Addiction is when you cannot function without something, you cannot sleep for example for 8 hours when hooked on heroine because your body won't let you because it craves it.
Smokers sleep OK overnight because the body does not need nicotine to function normally, that was the definition I was given and if you think About it it makes sense.
It may be addictive at some level but not that it affects you, this is why they say "break the habit" when referring to smokers.
Smokers wake up reach for a fag, have food and have a fag, have a pint and have a fag, it is routine.