What is Scott Waites biggest win Lakeside or Grand Slam?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

What is Scott Waites biggest win?

Lakeside
52%
Grand Slam
48%

Total votes: 56

Booji Boy
International

Re: What is Scott Waites biggest win Lakeside or Grand Slam?

Post by Booji Boy »

Would I rather win lakeside or the gsod. That's easy, lakeside every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The harder one to win is the slam. I think every darts fan would agree with that no?
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Duterprat wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
Duterprat wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:All top dart players would love to have that one on their CV.
I doubt it very much. I'd go so far to say that a pro tour win in the PDC would mean more to most of them.
You're having a laugh, do you honestly think someone would rather have "pc20 winner" after their name rather than "world champion"

I've heard it all now
I am sure that there are lots of players (especially those wo could not be bothered to even play the BDO tour at all) who don't consider januaries cringeworthy amateur convention a world championship at all (any more). Being the BDO "world champion" in the 2000s is like being the Butterbean of darts.
Trolling again I see, you really haven't got a clue about darts.

Addressing Kevs comment about BDO players winning the GS more often I think if it was equal in terms of numbers then they probably would. Take this years GS, the BDO haven't even got their best player involved.
You keep banging on about Adams being the best and he's there. :)
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

If you asked Scott Waites, I think he would say that the Lakeside title, and the "World Champion" status that accompanies it would be the bigger achievement in his eyes.

In terms of the actual quality of darts required to win, absolutely no doubt that he had to play at an infinitely higher level to win the GSOD, and for me this was a greater achievement.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Duterprat wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
Duterprat wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:All top dart players would love to have that one on their CV.
I doubt it very much. I'd go so far to say that a pro tour win in the PDC would mean more to most of them.
You're having a laugh, do you honestly think someone would rather have "pc20 winner" after their name rather than "world champion"

I've heard it all now
I am sure that there are lots of players (especially those wo could not be bothered to even play the BDO tour at all) who don't consider januaries cringeworthy amateur convention a world championship at all (any more). Being the BDO "world champion" in the 2000s is like being the Butterbean of darts.

Addressing Kevs comment about BDO players winning the GS more often I think if it was equal in terms of numbers then they probably would. Take this years GS, the BDO haven't even got their best player involved.
Paddy this is nonsense. Even by your own admission, your "Famous Five" are at a different level to the BDO players and another 8 entrants from your side of the fence would not change that. Add Wright, Barney, White and a plethera of other players who are consistently hitting 100+ averages, and it is pretty clear that there is more chance of getting shit from a rocking horse than a BDO player winning the GSOD.

Pity that Durrant didn't qualify as he is the best player in the BDO by a country mile, and whilst I don't think he would have handled the enormity of the GSOD, it would have provided him with an invaluable experience, which would help him in winning Lakeside this year.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

It's true SSJSA, I have to admit there are currently 5 players who reside in the PDC who are a notch above all others but that doesn't mean it will always be this way and as proved many times in the past the best player on paper doesn't automatically win on a given day, if this was the case there would be no need to have a competition in the first place. The BDO boys know we are at a massive disadvantage by having just a handful of players, no one in there right mind could argue this is not the case and that makes the battle so much harder, saying this I understand and respect it is a competition financed by the PDC and they can invite who they like. Who knows what Durrant will develop into, maybe he could displace one of the famous five.

I have watched this tournament and have been pleasantly surprised over the last few years how well the BDO boys have faired, especially in the initial head to head games, you certainly couldn't say they are a different class.

And Spacey, Adams is nearly 60 and although still playing well this must be taken into consideration, I hope he has a good competition I look forward to seeing his group.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Col wrote:Would I rather win lakeside or the gsod. That's easy, lakeside every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The harder one to win is the slam. I think every darts fan would agree with that no?
Not necessarily.
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

Thank goodness for post designed to wind people up. without those on either side this thread would have struggled for a response.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

I think the Grand Slam is harder to win than Lakeside but I think the more prostigious is Lakeside....it's a world title, you are introduced as a world champion forever and if you really wanted it opens up a lot of doors within the PDC if that's what a player wants..look at Bunting...
topcat
Brass Darts

Post by topcat »

In my opinion Lakeside it is the world championships. I was really happy for Scotty when he won that.
The GSOD was a fantastic win for Scotty. The look on a certain persons face when a BDO stalwart came from so far behind to win it was priceless.
Well done Scott.
The prestige of Lakeside and being World Champ must out way all other wins,
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

ssjsa wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Duterprat wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
Duterprat wrote: I doubt it very much. I'd go so far to say that a pro tour win in the PDC would mean more to most of them.

I've heard it all now

Paddy this is nonsense. Even by your own admission, your "Famous Five" are at a different level to the BDO players and another 8 entrants from your side of the fence would not change that. Add Wright, Barney, White and a plethera of other players who are consistently hitting 100+ averages, and it is pretty clear that there is more chance of getting shit from a rocking horse than a BDO player winning the GSOD.

Pity that Durrant didn't qualify as he is the best player in the BDO by a country mile, and whilst I don't think he would have handled the enormity of the GSOD, it would have provided him with an invaluable experience, which would help him in winning Lakeside this year.

You do realise that the PDC is fully professional and the BDO isn't, in a realistic world a BDO player should never beat a top PDC player but that's never the case
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Duterprat
Superleague Player

Post by Duterprat »

oche balboa wrote: You do realise that the PDC is fully professional and the BDO isn't, in a realistic world a BDO player should never beat a top PDC player but that's never the case
That is 1. not an argument and 2. would apply to any sport with multiple tiers/leagues. It's all about probability, several studies came to the (not very surprising) conclusion that an upset is more likely the fewer "points" are needed for a win (which is why there are so many upsets in football, can't be much fewer than 1-0 and which is why there are close to zero wins of outside-top-20 tennis players against a #1 or #30 NBA team vs. #1). There are also whole individual ranking systems based on that "winning probability" like the ELO system for chess.
This can also be seen in darts where e.g. phil taylor did only struggle in the first round of bigs events for ~20 years and was virtually unbeatable for not-top-3 players once the format became "longer".

Hope this makes any sense, not my first language ;-)
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

No sense at all :D
Chizzyfan
County Player

Post by Chizzyfan »

Has to be the Grand Slam, simply because Chizzy was in it when Waites won.
Chizzyesque
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Current shandings:

Lakeside 58%
GSOD 42%
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

ifm wrote:
MancheStar wrote:
ifm wrote:OMFG are you serious??
Yes everybody has an opinion not just you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If anyone genuinely believes that a minor PDC comp is bigger than THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS then they are wrong and probably too stupid to be allowed out alone.
I'm sure some on here will vote for GSOD but that's because this is a biased forum full of trolls who like nothing more than to belittle the BDO.
:D
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
dartsfacts
Superleague Player

Post by dartsfacts »

Anyone who believes the PDC Grand Slam of Darts is a minor comp has probably got a photo of Steve Egerton on their bedside table.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Sat Nav wrote:
devosteve wrote:Ifm admitted, the other week, he posts to wind up posters who he considers to be 'fanboys'. It spoils good threads imo.
I know him just a little bit, he plays in my local Friday night team ;) .
I thought you played in my Friday night team :D
Oh and divo, pots n kettles love, you are the biggest troll on here after eldrongo.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

dartsfacts wrote:Anyone who believes the PDC Grand Slam of Darts is a minor comp has probably got a photo of Steve Egerton on their bedside table.
Blimey i knew you fanboys were not quite right but i'll respond to this again shall i, i said minor PDC comp, there is a difference.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

ifm wrote:
dartsfacts wrote:Anyone who believes the PDC Grand Slam of Darts is a minor comp has probably got a photo of Steve Egerton on their bedside table.
Blimey i knew you fanboys were not quite right but i'll respond to this again shall i, i said minor PDC comp, there is a difference.
Did you not get the memo?

1. EVERY PDC competition is a major
2. EVERY BDO competition has a first prize of a set of flights and a free ticket for the meat raffle

I'm disappointed you didn't know this Ian
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
chissy
County Player

Post by chissy »

"Biggest win" opens itself up to interpretation by each person. Biggest to Scott? Biggest to his legacy? Biggest win pot? Toughest field? Toughest crowd? Toughest playing conditions ie he might not be used to the smaller trebles in the pdc (tin hat on :D )
I think he will be remembered as the bdo world champion that beat the pdc guys in their own back yard so I guess that kind of puts me firmly on the fence. There is no doubt in my mind that before he became world champion if you asked him which one he wanted to win then lakeside 100%, after he won it and held that title if you asked him would he like to win another one or sacrifice it to beat the best of the pdc in one of their comps on terrestrial tv I honestly think he would have jumped at adding the slam to his cv. I guess only Scott can give a definitive answer though.
Lets see if someone asks him the question when he's interviewed for it...... :IIII:
I'm on Twitter (occasionally) follow me @originalchissy