BDO to change qualifying criteria for next years grand slam

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Zeyes
International

Re: RE: Re: BDO to change qualifying criteria for next years grand slam

Post by Zeyes »

The Jolly Man wrote:Can the same not be said for the PDC qualifiers though. PDC Qualifier v BDO Qualifier in the group stage was 4-4. 2 PDC qualifiers got to the last 16 and Webster is the only qualifier to reach the last 8.
How many players from outside the top 16 do you expect to see in the last 8 of a tournament?
nikkiboy
International

Re: BDO to change qualifying criteria for next years grand slam

Post by nikkiboy »

I believe Sky will take a look at the interest the Adams and Fordham story generated and insist upon a couple of multi-organisation wild cards. There is no doubt that Adams generated renewed ineters and also no doubt that some of the qualifiers were below the level expected, to that aim I think they will look to discuss it with the PDC and address it so that they get a better field next year.
One interesting thing that may come out of this is now we are seeing greater cooperation between PDC and BDO do you think there may be a BDO wild card for the Premier League?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

nikkiboy wrote:I believe Sky will take a look at the interest the Adams and Fordham story generated and insist upon a couple of multi-organisation wild cards. There is no doubt that Adams generated renewed ineters and also no doubt that some of the qualifiers were below the level expected, to that aim I think they will look to discuss it with the PDC and address it so that they get a better field next year.
One interesting thing that may come out of this is now we are seeing greater cooperation between PDC and BDO do you think there may be a BDO wild card for the Premier League?
I think the two sides are gradually moving closer together - Mardle was being very proactive last night in talking up the BDO and Harrington wasn't really arguing. Well not as much as you would expect :)
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

No.
Big Jock Knew
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

NDB could offer the winner of the winner and runner up of the Dutch open there invites. That way the 8 would be lakeside winner and runner up, Masters winner and runner up, world trophy winner and runner up and Dutch open winner and runner up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Jolly Man
County Player

Re: RE: Re: BDO to change qualifying criteria for next years grand slam

Post by The Jolly Man »

Zeyes wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:Can the same not be said for the PDC qualifiers though. PDC Qualifier v BDO Qualifier in the group stage was 4-4. 2 PDC qualifiers got to the last 16 and Webster is the only qualifier to reach the last 8.
How many players from outside the top 16 do you expect to see in the last 8 of a tournament?
Thats my point, you cant expect everyone to do well and get through. I got the impression the thread started based on an argument that the BDO qualifiers could have been stronger. They pretty much matched the PDC qualifiers in performance so there hasnt been an issue in the critieria so why change it.

If Wes Harms had won his final qualifier match I would argue that the BDO 8 would have been much stronger than the 8 PDC qualifiers.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Fair enough. This thread is a bit off the rails anyway. Some people looking to ensure stronger BDO entrants, and some others looking to shove female players and even under-18 BDO youth players in there. At least I hope there aren't any people who believe that it's possible to achieve the former by doing the latter...but some posts in this thread seriously make me wonder.

Taking Harrington's comments at face value - which I'm not quite ready to do, he's hardly an unbiased source when it comes to the BDO - it's not that difficult to come up with the BDO brass' potential reasoning. I guess it's safe to say it wasn't the BDO's idea to let the NDB raffle off two spots on their own, so we're immediately down to just 6. Taking the Lakeside finalists is a no-brainer, so that leaves 4. Now, the BDO's own fanbase has complained for half a decade that the PDC hasn't been inviting the World Masters winners anymore, so there goes another spot by sheer necessity. Next is the World Trophy that they're desperately trying to keep viable as another major event on the calendar, so it would be hard to pass over the winner of that as well.

Just two spots left now. Rankings or open qualifying? If you're the BDO, you know that the PDC is going to give all of its members a shot at getting into the Grand Slam under the new system. As the "darts for all" org, can you afford to award those two spots directly and not offer your other players the same opportunity that the PDC guys are getting? Especially if the NDB will hold an open qualifier for theirs as well?

I don't know if things progressed that way, but if they did, I wouldn't exactly expect much change for next year.
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

Surely the NDB 2 qualifiers should go to the Dutch open winner and runner up. Give places to the BDO majors finalist any spaces left give to the highest ranked not qualified players off the table.

el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

I think they should just have a quick poll on a Saturday morning and ask the general public to name 8 Bdo players if they can.

If they get 8 different names then ask them.

It will be nice to see Bristow, Jocky & Bobby George in that year.
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

i would like to see bdo get 4 extra places take to 12 so pdc get 4 qualfiers instead of 8 rest of places filled the same pdc done this year if bdo got this i think qualfing should be this
2 lakeside finlest
2 world masters finlest
WDT winner
zuidern masters winner
top 4 higest ranked not allready
2 qualfiers all from hull before world master

if they only got 8 places
2 lakeisdes finlest
World masters winner
next 3 higest ranked not in
2 form quallfiers in hull
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

MancheStar wrote:Surely the NDB 2 qualifiers should go to the Dutch open winner and runner up. Give places to the BDO majors finalist any spaces left give to the highest ranked not qualified players off the table.

Why? The NDB would like to give themselves as big a chance as possible of getting Dutch players qualified. Given the recent results in the event this would not be the best way.

markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

I just can't see the PDC giving any more places away, the names aren't there to justify it and talks elsewhere of 16 vs. 16 are just nonsense.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

For me, bearing in mind they need their best tv players to represent their organisation, surely their selection criteria should be heavily weighted in favour of those players who have performed well in their biggest tournaments.

That would mean both finalists from Lakeside, The Masters and the WDT, with 2 players from one qualifier, which would satisfy the "darts for all" element of the BDO. In the event of one or more players winning 2 qualifying places, that place or places, should go to the top performers in the previous GSOD, therefore making the participation of Wolfie a likely scenario.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Duterprat
Superleague Player

Post by Duterprat »

If i had to bet on it:
Lakeside winner and runner up, Masters winner (+ maybe runner up), WDT winner, Dutch Open winner, 1-2 via qualifier + I could see the BDO using 1-2 wild cards, maybe even let one or both of them pick by Sky.
I am sure they want to draw as much attention as possible and that will only work with the biggest names, pretty much like Barney in the PL (where he played well but did not belong "by form" or OOM rank at all in the last couple of years). And Sky would certainly pick the big names if not already qualified.

edit: LOL forgot that it is no longer "Zuiderduin Masters" ;)
One_Dart
Brass Darts

Post by One_Dart »

I think the BDO qualifying critertia for this yeare was OK, but some people are never satisfied with such things, people like me!
For next year,
World Champion
World Championship Finalist
World Masters Winner
World Trophy Winner
Women's World Champion
Women's World Championship Finalist
2 qualifiers
hopefully were nominated.The Qualifier held in the world masters week.
R.I.P. VRF
Tom Boughey
On The Naughty Step

Post by Tom Boughey »

If they to remain with 8 bdo players
The 2 lakeside finalists
The world masters winner
The wdt winner
And have a tournament for anyone to enter where the finalists get a place and the same sort of tournament overseas
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

Lakeside winner and runner up, WDT winner, masters winner, finders winner, Dutch open winner and minimum 2 from a qualifier

Bigwilma
Pub Champion

Post by Bigwilma »

MancheStar wrote:Lakeside winner and runner up, WDT winner, masters winner, finders winner, Dutch open winner and minimum 2 from a qualifier

Not a bad shout, would have loved to see Durrant in the form he's on play in the GSOD, not sure why the masters was dropped.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Bigwilma wrote:
MancheStar wrote:Lakeside winner and runner up, WDT winner, masters winner, finders winner, Dutch open winner and minimum 2 from a qualifier

Not a bad shout, would have loved to see Durrant in the form he's on play in the GSOD, not sure why the masters was dropped.
It wasn't, Martin Phillips was there for his 2014 win.
hang the dj
County Player

Post by hang the dj »

spaceman70 wrote:
Bigwilma wrote:

It wasn't, Martin Phillips was there for his 2014 win.
Which was just silly as the 2015 tournament has occurred.