BDO to change qualifying criteria for next years grand slam

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
MancheStar
Superleague Player

BDO to change qualifying criteria for next years grand slam

Post by MancheStar »

What do people think the qualifying criteria should be for next years BDO Grand Slam qualifiers? I reckon it should be lakeside winner and runner up then the top 6 not already qualified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duterprat
Superleague Player

Re: BDO to change qualifying criteria for next years grand slam

Post by Duterprat »

What makes you think that the BDO could decide how the players for a PDC (sort of) invitational are picked?
Last edited by Duterprat on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

Lakeside:2
Winmau:1
Finder:1
WDT: 1 (forgot that one)
2 - ranking
1 - Qualifier
Last edited by slymaster on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

Duterprat wrote:What makes you think that the BDO could decide how the players for a PDC (sort of) invitational are picked?
Rodders? mentioned something in that direction...
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

Duterprat wrote:What makes you think that the BDO could decide how the players for a PDC (sort of) invitational are picked?
Rod Harringtons words after the Wolfie match.

MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

Going on the way I think they should do it this would have been this years qualifiers -

Lakeside winner Mitchell
Lakeside Runner up Adams

Top 6 not already Qualified
1 Durrant
2 de Graaf
3 Jamie Hughes
4 Wesley Harms
5 Darryl Fitton
6 Geert de Vos

markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

Without the qualifiers we wouldn't have had the Fordham "story" for everyone to bang on about!
Duterprat
Superleague Player

Post by Duterprat »

Ah thanks guys, missed that bit.
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

The Fordham story was great and he is a legend of the game but would you put him in the current best 8 in the BDO at the moment?

Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

He was on the day of the qualifier and deserved his spot. This mythical class of better players is referred to year by year after all BDO players are out.

The only change needed was to have had this years WM winner instead of last years and Durrant would have been in.

Using rankings to get in people like Harms isnt a positive move in my opinion. Maybe the current WM's runner up and the WDT runner up as well as the two from lakeside and then just 2 qualifiers would be a compromise.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

phil davies wrote:For me

Lakeside winner and runner up
Masters Winner
WDT winner
Women's world champ
Highest non qualified player
2 qualifiers

If any one wins more than one event then keep taking next highest for ranking untill 6 players leaving the 2 qualifiers.
I agree about the number of qualifiers. If the idea is to stay true to the idea of the Slam, which was to take winners/finalists of major tv events (and you can define 'major' however you like!), then anymore than 2 qualifiers out of a field of 8 is wrong. You should have the World Masters winner from the same year rather than 13 months before. And rather than have a place for a ranking, I would take the winner of the highest value TV event after the World Trophy.

However, if the BDO want their best players (on form) in, then use the rankings for 4 places, and take the Lakeside winner, runner-up, World Masters winner and Women's world champ.
Chambord
The Ton Club

Post by Chambord »

Winner and finalist of Lakeside / Winmau Masters / World Trophy + 1 qualifying event for the extra places to fill 8 spots (min 2 qualifiers - if winners and finalists of named events don't overlap / max 6 qualifiers - if there's only 2 people in the BDO who reach those major finals)

Having a a separate euro qualifier organized by NDB was the natural thing to happen this year because (I suspect) NDB were the ones that got the idea with 8 qualifiers and all to the PDC and convinced them to accept it. But the Oosterhuis debacle convinced everyone that this euro quali should be scrapped and one-for-all quali should be in place.

Giving a place to the womens Lakeside winner would also be a good idea.
I don't think they'll ever use the rankings to fill the spots. The PDC doesn't do it and they won't do it either. Wilson was no.1 a year ago and what happened to him at Masters / Lakeside. They want players on form and rankings don't always reflect that.
xtreme rebel
County Player

Post by xtreme rebel »

Lakeside finalists, World Master winner + top 5 in rankings not already qualified.

PDC also need to change their qualifying system for this. Too many spots for a 1 off qualifier. Simply take the top 8 from the Pro Tour OoM, not already qualified.
Duterprat
Superleague Player

Post by Duterprat »

Chambord wrote:Giving a place to the womens Lakeside winner would also be a good idea.
If you are this Oosterhuis guy and want someone else to become the worst player in the history of the event, then yes.
Chambord
The Ton Club

Post by Chambord »

Well, it's not that anybody expects the lady to beat everyone and average like mad but it would add an extra spice (especially if the lady actually beats someone, lika Anastasia did few years ago). Sky would love it. Certainly it wasn't them who came up with the idea to stop inviting them.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

xtreme rebel wrote:Lakeside finalists, World Master winner + top 5 in rankings not already qualified.
This really - although we wouldn't have seen Fordham which would have been a shame.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: BDO to change qualifying criteria for next years grand slam

Post by Ginge »

The Cat wrote:
xtreme rebel wrote:Lakeside finalists, World Master winner + top 5 in rankings not already qualified.
This really - although we wouldn't have seen Fordham which would have been a shame.
You have seen him now, the nostalgia trip is over, time to get 8 players in who will be competitive.
Big Jock Knew
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Ginge wrote:
The Cat wrote:
You have seen him now, the nostalgia trip is over, time to get 8 players in who will be competitive.
He was competitive though. Granted the other chap wasn't :D
crispy1978
County Player

Post by crispy1978 »

I think you need a qualifier, but no more than a couple of places need to be up for grabs from each side. OK, we got the Andy Fordham story this year which was brilliant for Andy, the game and the viewing public, but to be honest it was a one-off.

You put too many qualifiers in, and it does dilute the standard.

I would like to see the women's world champion included as well. And perhaps even the BDO Youth champ too.
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Ginge wrote:
The Cat wrote:
Can the same not be said for the PDC qualifiers though. PDC Qualifier v BDO Qualifier in the group stage was 4-4. 2 PDC qualifiers got to the last 16 and Webster is the only qualifier to reach the last 8. The other PDC player to reach the last 16 has probably been on tv more in BDO events in the last 2 years than PDC events. I dont think there has been to much difference in the quality of qualifier from either side.

I cant see the NDB qualifier going, and that has provided the weakest BDO players. I suspect some of the current closer working relationships is down the NDB putting pressure on the BDO to talk to the PDC. Why would the PDC drop them when it has been talked about the NDB wanting to set up youth tours in association with the PDC, so far blocked by the BDO.

I dont think changes to the qualification criteria can be decided until we know where Adams finishes at Lakeside. He is the star BDO player and a quality one at that. Also question marks still have to be in place for the World Trophy will that go ahead this year?