More on Sky.....

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
andyc
Brass Darts

More on Sky.....

Post by andyc »

Can someone please explain how Sky can possibly make Whitlock play last yesterday (finished at midnight) and at 3pm today. Favouring Barney and Taylor so much it's untrue.
Ginge
International

Re: More on Sky.....

Post by Ginge »

andyc wrote:Can someone please explain how Sky can possibly make Whitlock play last yesterday (finished at midnight) and at 3pm today. Favouring Barney and Taylor so much it's untrue.
You have answered your own question.
Big Jock Knew
dartsfan11
Superleague Player

Post by dartsfan11 »

andyc wrote:Can someone please explain how Sky can possibly make Whitlock play last yesterday (finished at midnight) and at 3pm today. Favouring Barney and Taylor so much it's untrue.
im sure simon will be fine,sky rules the roost and tbh they have done wonders for darts and it could be worse

andyc
Brass Darts

Post by andyc »

Yep, I know. But it's such an extreme decision and so obviously exhibits the huge bias - more so than I can remember. When you take a guess as to Whitlock's most and pre-match routine it's incredible to ask him to play 15 hours later. Anyone ever hear what the other players think of stuff like this? And does anyone really think Sky's viewing figures will be particularly impacted by Barney being on at peak hour when there's so little time to advertise the fact (not that they should)
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

andyc wrote:Yep, I know. But it's such an extreme decision and so obviously exhibits the huge bias - more so than I can remember. When you take a guess as to Whitlock's most and pre-match routine it's incredible to ask him to play 15 hours later. Anyone ever hear what the other players think of stuff like this? And does anyone really think Sky's viewing figures will be particularly impacted by Barney being on at peak hour when there's so little time to advertise the fact (not that they should)
I'm quite sure Sky a couple of years ago put a 58 year old man on last at Dublin, it finished well after midnight, and then made him play first the day after at 7pm

So hardly a recent thing.
Big Jock Knew
andyc
Brass Darts

Post by andyc »

I've never played a leg of competitive darts in my life but even playing at 7pm rather than 3pm is very different in terms of preparation (lack of). And this is the 1/4 finals of what Sky build up as the 2nd biggest tournament of the year. The players obviously all deserve a level playing field.

I'm aware it's not a new thing but it's getting beyond a joke. I dread to think what Sky would do with themselves if / when Taylor / Barney ever quit.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

andyc wrote:I've never played a leg of competitive darts in my life but even playing at 7pm rather than 3pm is very different in terms of preparation (lack of). And this is the 1/4 finals of what Sky build up as the 2nd biggest tournament of the year. The players obviously all deserve a level playing field.

I'm aware it's not a new thing but it's getting beyond a joke. I dread to think what Sky would do with themselves if / when Taylor / Barney ever quit.
hmm, exactly.
Careful what you wish for!!
TROUBLEAGAIN
Superleague Player

Post by TROUBLEAGAIN »

andyc wrote:I've never played a leg of competitive darts in my life but even playing at 7pm rather than 3pm is very different in terms of preparation (lack of). And this is the 1/4 finals of what Sky build up as the 2nd biggest tournament of the year. The players obviously all deserve a level playing field.

Nature of the beast im afraid- I think we can all guess what will happen when Taylor retires at 75 and 30 odd time world champ.
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

Simply they want players ranked 1 and 2 as there main event so it makes common sense to put them on tonight, however I do think the Whitlock should not have played last game last night, and 15 hours is a long time, sleep, breakfast, practice then play.
Thinking of one.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

dartsfan11 wrote:
im sure simon will be fine,sky rules the roost and tbh they have done wonders for darts and it could be worse

There's nothing wrong with the BBC red button, I have watched a lot of tenis this way, and it gives you a variety of match choices. Far better than the bias way that Sky do things, and you have the added advantage of not having to watch a load of poker advertisments every few minutes.

Paddy

:bat:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
callataxi
Pub Champion

Post by callataxi »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
dartsfan11 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the BBC red button, I have watched a lot of tenis this way, and it gives you a variety of match choices. Far better than the bias way that Sky do things, and you have the added advantage of not having to watch a load of poker advertisments every few minutes.

Paddy

i agree. thank god for the red button is what i say!!

we now get to see every dart of the bdo worlds for the past few years. im sure we can all remember

seeing a couple of live games in the 1st weekend then just watching shabby highlights for the remainder of the week.

not sure why you feel those days were better paddy.

on the red button you often get choice of matches on various sports as well.

unless of course ur still sat at home with yr old black and white tv then i suppose that would be a problem.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

callataxi wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
dartsfan11 wrote:

Paddy

i agree. thank god for the red button is what i say!!

we now get to see every dart of the bdo worlds for the past few years. im sure we can all remember

seeing a couple of live games in the 1st weekend then just watching shabby highlights for the remainder of the week.

on the red button you often get choice of matches on various sports as well.

unless of course ur still sat at home with yr old black and white tv then i suppose that would be a problem.
In some ways they were better, but if you have the technology available as you do nowadays, you'd be a fool not to use it. We got rid of our black and white earlier this year when the digital came in.

The more darts shown on terrestrial tv the better, and as I say, now that I have learnt to use the red button, it's really easy to select different matches which is amazing, I wonder who thinks all this stuff up, probably those Japanese fellows, they're clever people you know.

"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
GRAYISALEGEND
County Player

Post by GRAYISALEGEND »

Stop moaning and being so bittter
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

GRAYISALEGEND wrote:

Stop moaning and being so bittter
I can't see he's being bitter, its a valid question

The good thing is that the players will be used to it so it wont be an issue to them.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Grubby
Superleague Player

Post by Grubby »

The scheldules were posted before the tournament started and with only ONE afternoon session someone was always going to be last on then play in the afternoon. Jelle also played last night, finished around 8.30pm, so not much difference for him. Saying that I think that SkyPdc should have put one of tonights 4 players's game on last to give fair time between rounds BUT it comes back to Uncle Barry again...... If you don't like it F.O. back to the BDO!
follow me on twitter @grubby1968!!!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Grubby wrote:The scheldules were posted before the tournament started and with only ONE afternoon session someone was always going to be last on then play in the afternoon. Jelle also played last night, finished around 8.30pm, so not much difference for him. Saying that I think that SkyPdc should have put one of tonights 4 players's game on last to give fair time between rounds BUT it comes back to Uncle Barry again...... If you don't like it F.O. back to the BDO!
Well they could have put the people who played on Thursday night on the Friday night, but this is Sky we are talking about, so that is too simplistic

**this post is yet to be approved by the PDC**
Big Jock Knew
Krispy
County Player

Post by Krispy »

Grubby wrote: BUT it comes back to Uncle Barry again...... If you don't like it F.O. back to the BDO!
haha and after I got to meet and chat with him - I know what you mean - he's not one to mince his words, but actually is far more open and approachable than I'd ever have thought. got the confidence a few quid in the bank gives you too. did it all himself too mind you - no silver spoon in his mouth!
Webmaster and editor/writer of the PDC fansite; Darts, Beers & Cheers!, and Exhibition and Open Tournament database.
Play (terribly) for Stilton Country Club.
boommoob2
Feather Flights

Post by boommoob2 »

Grubby wrote:The scheldules were posted before the tournament started and with only ONE afternoon session someone was always going to be last on then play in the afternoon. Jelle also played last night, finished around 8.30pm, so not much difference for him. Saying that I think that SkyPdc should have put one of tonights 4 players's game on last to give fair time between rounds BUT it comes back to Uncle Barry again...... If you don't like it F.O. back to the BDO!
With repsect Grubby it'l be entirely down to who has the most pulling power regards ratings for Sky. I doubt the PDC has any say at all. If Whitlock keeps this up over the next year or 2 he will very quickly become a main draw.
Grubby
Superleague Player

Post by Grubby »

The last time Taylor wasn't on "prime time/main board" he lost to Jahn Part on board 2 of the Uk Open and SKY were gutted. Phil is nearly always on prime time as he is the top drawing ratings puller, no more logic needed there BUT SKy could think about other people a bit more.... It's not long ago a lot of people (inc players) thought PDC meant Phil's Darts Club :lol:
follow me on twitter @grubby1968!!!
boommoob2
Feather Flights

Post by boommoob2 »

Grubby wrote:The last time Taylor wasn't on "prime time/main board" he lost to Jahn Part on board 2 of the Uk Open and SKY were gutted. Phil is nearly always on prime time as he is the top drawing ratings puller, no more logic needed there BUT SKy could think about other people a bit more.... It's not long ago a lot of people (inc players) thought PDC meant Phil's Darts Club :lol:
With respect Grubby Sky will always go for the ratings puller. Why would anyone expect anything different?. If players werent so scared of Taylor and challenged him i'd imagine things would change.