Time for the BDO Ranking System to be changed?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ST87
Steady Sixties

Time for the BDO Ranking System to be changed?

Post by ST87 »

Isn’t it time that the BDO ranking system was completely overhauled?

I ask this in the aftermath of the British Classic, where the allocation of ranking points were downgraded at the last minute.

According to the rankings criteria on the BDO website, the winner, Ross Montgomery, should have got 22 points, with the last 32 getting 12.

However, when I checked the updated standings earlier today (after reading Trotter’s post in the British Classic thread) only the last 16 got points and Montgomery was only given 18 points for victory.

This isn't the first time the Scot has been on the wrong end of a rankings issue. Last year at the Welsh Open, he wasn't given the 150 WDF Ranking points he was due for winning that tournament because the Welsh Open organisers hadn't paid a levy to the WDF.

This for me highlights what a farce the BDO rankings are. The criteria for Lakeside qualification is as clear as fog and seems to change depending on what mood the organising committee are in.

At least with other darting organisations, you know who needs to do what and it's far easier for regular darts fans to follow.

Any old event can count towards the list, even if the format is a measly best of 5 legs and the 'prize money' includes a set of darts.

There are a disproportionate amount of these opens in the UK, which means you get a scenario where there could be at least 21 Englishmen at Lakeside in January and as few as three overseas players - all Dutch.

The list is only used twice a year (the WDF isn't used at all) and all points are wiped off in October so you don't get an accurate reflection of who the best players in the BDO are until the very moment the list is due to be changed.

Stuart Kellet is undoubtedly one of the most improved players on the BDO circuit but is he the 2nd best player in the organisation?

What can be done to make the ranking system in the BDO a true reflection of who the best players are?
Further details to be announced shortly.
nikkiboy
International

Re: Time for the BDO Ranking System to be changed?

Post by nikkiboy »

Agree completely, in my opinion once the points have been allocated before the event then they should stand regardless of entries. It costs players a lot of money to chase these points and its just wrong to play about with them like they do
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
chop
Brass Darts

Post by chop »

The wdf ranking is a rolling table the bdo inv is october 11th to the next year, the bdo only count your best 10 events whereas wdf is all events you enter , this gets the crazy situation where Deta is over 1000 points ahead of trina in WDF ranking yet only 8 in BDO list, Deta has lost 20points on events downgraded on her 10 scoring events and this could cost her the no 1 spot in the bdo ranking list
Reinier
The Ton Club

Post by Reinier »

Yes, it should be changed. Reaching to last 32 twice in a category B event is better then winning one :?
ST87
Steady Sixties

Post by ST87 »

I seem to remember reading on the BDO Forum last year that Darryl Fitton had suggested a change to the ranking system. However, as is usually the case with the BDO, no details of what this suggestion was were ever announced.

That’s the problem with the BDO/WDF/IDPA etc. They always leave everyone on tenterhooks with ‘further details to be announced’ assuming that everyone has insider knowledge when the opposite is true.

I don’t think the BDO will ever move away from their system of opens, so I would advocate a pound-for-pound system i.e. 1 win = 1 point.

At the moment, you might have to win several matches to reach the last 32 of an event yet receive no ranking points for your efforts.

The system needs to be geared to those who play the circuit regularly (however few) and who want to play in events like the Lakeside and Winmau.
Further details to be announced shortly.
thorntree
The Ton Club

Post by thorntree »

The thing that always gets me about the BDO rankings is the difference between Last 32 and Last 64 is sometimes bigger than the difference between Winning and the Last 32. Eg it can be Winner 22, Runner Up 20, SF 18, QF 16, L16 14, L32 12, L64 0. It just seems to reward mediocrity to me. In the overseas events last year it was 20 for winning, 18 for runner up 16 for the semi final and nothing for the quarter final. It's no wonder nobody from outside Europe qualified.
chop
Brass Darts

Post by chop »

Outside Europe events no points for 1/4's is unjust which ones were they? Hope you don't get your info from dartsdatabase their stays are a joke according to them Deta has earnt 2k in 2years when she won that in Dutch open alone not counting the ten other titles in the time period stated, head to head she has never beaten trina! Obviously forgetting british open, Dutch,didam,England masters! Never lost to Irina apart from Flanders,Swiss! They only seem accurate with PDC lists if they can't get the true info they shouldn't publish obvious mistakes, it's not just women either mistakes with men bdo players as well ie dean winstanley these have been spotted with a cursory look sort it out database or stick to PDC results only
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

chop wrote:Outside Europe events no points for 1/4's is unjust which ones were they? Hope you don't get your info from dartsdatabase their stays are a joke according to them Deta has earnt 2k in 2years when she won that in Dutch open alone not counting the ten other titles in the time period stated, head to head she has never beaten trina! Obviously forgetting british open, Dutch,didam,England masters! Never lost to Irina apart from Flanders,Swiss! They only seem accurate with PDC lists if they can't get the true info they shouldn't publish obvious mistakes, it's not just women either mistakes with men bdo players as well ie dean winstanley these have been spotted with a cursory look sort it out database or stick to PDC results only
I dont think Darts Database has much info on women Paul.
Big Jock Knew
chop
Brass Darts

Post by chop »

dean winstanley woman????
If they haven't why publish so called facts they state Deta was world semi finalist but don't know one month later one the Dutch open biggest event in Europe entry wise , noted trinas win at lakeside but not Deta beating trina in final of Dutch! Come on bradders all the results are readily available on bdo/wdf websites,they get their info from planet darts but can't google bdo !!!! As I say they shouldn't publish bdo stats it's very misleading to someone trying to find info, and makes the gap between PDC and bdo look greater than it is.
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

Robbie Green said on facebook that he felt it was a waste of his time, he says he made the effort to play for the points and if the others cant be bothered then they are not interested in the points (was worded different but you get the jist).

I seem to recall people moaning about Colin Lloyd being the PDC ranked 1 player about 6/7 years ago, however it was the same, he was willing to travel for the points whilst the Taylors and Priestley's at the time where quite happy with the tv points.

However I do agree that whatever points where allocated when the event was advertised should stay even if only 3 or 4 players turn up.
Thinking of one.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

chop wrote:dean winstanley woman????
If they haven't why publish so called facts they state Deta was world semi finalist but don't know one month later one the Dutch open biggest event in Europe entry wise , noted trinas win at lakeside but not Deta beating trina in final of Dutch! Come on bradders all the results are readily available on bdo/wdf websites,they get their info from planet darts but can't google bdo !!!! As I say they shouldn't publish bdo stats it's very misleading to someone trying to find info, and makes the gap between PDC and bdo look greater than it is.
I agree with you - what I am saying is that Darts Database seems to have recorded NO ladies tournaments whatsoever.
Big Jock Knew
chop
Brass Darts

Post by chop »

Bradders wrote:
I agree with you - what I am saying is that Darts Database seems to have recorded NO ladies tournaments whatsoever.
Wrong again bradders they have trina in money list Deta,tricia, fiona, none of these ladies have earnt against the men in the last two years and their head to head stats are a joke
thorntree
The Ton Club

Post by thorntree »

chop wrote:Outside Europe events no points for 1/4's is unjust which ones were they? Hope you don't get your info from dartsdatabase their stays are a joke according to them Deta has earnt 2k in 2years when she won that in Dutch open alone not counting the ten other titles in the time period stated, head to head she has never beaten trina! Obviously forgetting british open, Dutch,didam,England masters! Never lost to Irina apart from Flanders,Swiss! They only seem accurate with PDC lists if they can't get the true info they shouldn't publish obvious mistakes, it's not just women either mistakes with men bdo players as well ie dean winstanley these have been spotted with a cursory look sort it out database or stick to PDC results only
The info on overseas ranking events is taken directly from the BDO explanation last year, nothing to do with the database.

I only have so much time to enter results and the head to head stats can obviously only take into account results that have been entered. At the moment I only do the televised women's events and Last 32 onwards of the BDO events.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

chop wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Wrong again bradders they have trina in money list Deta,tricia, fiona, none of these ladies have earnt against the men in the last two years and their head to head stats are a joke
The only ones I can find are here:

http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/EventLis ... anCal=OPEN

OK, not none, but hardly representative of womens darts.

Why are you trying to disagree with me here for Paul? Have all the cleaning fluids gone to your head? I agree with you and say there SHOULD be full details of the ladies tournaments recorded on DD!
Big Jock Knew
chop
Brass Darts

Post by chop »

re Database you say you only do tv events(2) and last 32 of the bdo events and the head to head results reflect this should imagine Deta beating trina in the British open would be a bdo event, it's great having sites up giving info on players of both codes but this seems very biased towards PDC players and site should state bdo stats are not 100% accurate,
Bradders not trying to disagree with you all the time just most of it! You take posts of different sites and post them on others without checkingvtheir accuracy and then moan when people pull you up! And still disagree with post about no points for last 8 check bdo website click handbook vol 1 which shows the allocations for all events worldwide
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

chop wrote:re Database you say you only do tv events(2) and last 32 of the bdo events and the head to head results reflect this should imagine Deta beating trina in the British open would be a bdo event, it's great having sites up giving info on players of both codes but this seems very biased towards PDC players and site should state bdo stats are not 100% accurate,
Bradders not trying to disagree with you all the time just most of it! You take posts of different sites and post them on others without checkingvtheir accuracy and then moan when people pull you up! And still disagree with post about no points for last 8 check bdo website click handbook vol 1 which shows the allocations for all events worldwide
No I dont

See post timed at 3.48 yesterday - my mistake was duly acknowledged
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

In fairness Paul I've seen loads of posts from guys who run the stats sites asking for any info on certain wdf and bdo tournies because they cannot find any info
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
chop
Brass Darts

Post by chop »

Agree with averages nikki mind you some I would rather forget anyway! But prize money and who has been in last 16 are nearly always available
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

nikkiboy wrote:In fairness Paul I've seen loads of posts from guys who run the stats sites asking for any info on certain wdf and bdo tournies because they cannot find any info

I may be wrong but I think I received one email from someone 2 years ago about WDF/results, which I duly replied to.

So far in July there have been 6 WDF events around the world. The results ( minimum to last 8, some have a link for the full brackets ) for 5 of the results are on the frontpage of the WDF website, I have just received the results for the 6th one and that will be published later today.

There were 8 results for june that were published on the frontpage and can now be found under the news archives for that month, each month before that would be much the same. We don`t always get the full bracket but very often that can be found on the website of the country that organised the event or on darts for windows website.

Also its not that hard for someone to contact me.... or if they didnt know it was me doing the website updates contact via details on the WDF site to ask for a copy of the results.

Just ask and it shall be given...... as and when we receive the info
Image ImageImage Image
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

thanks john you word it so much better than me ,,,,,sir! also complained on posts about head to head it has deta 2/0 against your good lady obviously forgetting flanders swiss et al either on here or df, i must admit was puzzled by the not readily available bit ,i know banter has flown between us re doubles games but the singles are always there,
also mate are there any events that dont award points for last 8 i didnt think there was but im sure bradders will give me stick if im found to be incorrect