The next Phil Taylor perhaps?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
nikkiboy
International

The next Phil Taylor perhaps?

Post by nikkiboy »

BRITISH TEENAGE 2010

Shaun Griffiths won the British Teenage Singles today. In the Final he had a 3-1 win over Chris Aubrey. In the Semi-Finals Shaun beat Nick Kenny hitting a 35.79 per dart average (107.38) going out in 12, 14 and 16 darts.

Chris beat Jonathan Mulley, both matches had 3-0 scorelines.

Shaun is pictured with Darts World Editor Tony Wood.

from www.bdodarts.com
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Rudy
County Player

Re: The next Phil Taylor perhaps?

Post by Rudy »

Sounds amazing !

I've got the picture, Nicky.

BTW Looks like Elton's on it again... ;)
Last edited by Rudy on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Rudy wrote:Sounds amazing but where's the pic???? :o
should be there now Rudy :oops:
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

nikkiboy wrote:
Rudy wrote:Sounds amazing but where's the pic???? :o
should be there now Rudy :oops:
On the left? :lol:

All the best for him and his future! :WWWW:
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Blimey, he sounds like a heck of a prospect.

Well done fella. :DDDD:
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Mr Glass
County Player

Post by Mr Glass »

This is the guy nicknamed 'The Miracle' I believe.

Will look forward to him competing in the PDC Majors in the very near future then.

Looks like a good 'un.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price
and the Iron Fist
Superleague Player

Post by and the Iron Fist »

BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:This is the guy nicknamed 'The Miracle' I believe.

Will look forward to him competing in the PDC Majors in the very near future then.
No pressure then... ;)
"It seems he thinks he is entitled to say what he likes" - 'Gadffi' Dicie on and the Iron Fist.
ST87
Steady Sixties

Post by ST87 »

Shaun Griffiths has been doing well on the youth scene for quite some time now and it's a little surprising he hasn't been more prominent in the opens.

He was involved in an excellent World Masters Youth final with Jamie Lewis back in 2008, where both players averaged around 90, and during the same Masters tournament Tony O'Shea pointed him out as one to watch live on the BBC.

It's hard to tell whether he can step up to make the grade on either the BDO or PDC tours as, with a few exceptions, those who do well at a young age have struggled to keep it going - MVG springs to mind despite being a Masters champion already.

But it does look like he'll have a good career irrespective of which circuit he decides to ply his trade in.
Last edited by ST87 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Further details to be announced shortly.
Jack89
Steady Sixties

Post by Jack89 »

I played him in the British Teenage open qualifiers a few years back, he was only 16 at the time I think and he was very, very good. DHit a shedloads of 140's and a 180 in each game i saw him play, including the one he thrashed me in :banghead: and it was only the best of 5.

I took down a mental note of his name, as one to remember. Glad to see he's doing well for himself :DDDD:
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Will he be playing in the PDC youngsters world champs?
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Jack89 wrote:I played him in the British Teenage open qualifiers a few years back, he was only 16 at the time I think and he was very, very good. DHit a shedloads of 140's and a 180 in each game i saw him play, including the one he thrashed me in :banghead: and it was only the best of 5.

I took down a mental note of his name, as one to remember. Glad to see he's doing well for himself :DDDD:
How is your darts going Jack?
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

ralph cifaretto
Pub Champion

Post by ralph cifaretto »

ST87 wrote:It's hard to tell whether he can step up to make the grade on either the BDO or PDC tours as, with a few exceptions, those who do well at youth level tend to fall by the wayside - Mark Day being a case in point, and nothwithstanding his Masters title possibly MVG too.

But it does look like he'll have a good career irrespective of which circuit he decides to ply his trade in.
What a load of crud. Why single out Mark Day? One example out of the 1000s of youth darts players. There's a ton of reasons why any young player (including Mark Day) might CHOOSE not to play professional darts. They didn't fall by the wayside.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Well done to the lad, one things for certain though, he'll never be the next Phil Taylor, that's for sure.

Paddy

:bat:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
ST87
Steady Sixties

Post by ST87 »

ralph cifaretto wrote:
ST87 wrote:It's hard to tell whether he can step up to make the grade on either the BDO or PDC tours as, with a few exceptions, those who do well at youth level tend to fall by the wayside - Mark Day being a case in point, and nothwithstanding his Masters title possibly MVG too.

What a load of crud. Why single out Mark Day? One example out of the 1000s of youth darts players. There's a ton of reasons why any young player (including Mark Day) might CHOOSE not to play professional darts. They didn't fall by the wayside.
I was giving the first example that came into my head - I didn't intend it to be a criticism of Mr. Day. There wasn't anything sinister about it all, I don't have the time to ask the BDO for thousands of youth players - and if I did I'd always be awaiting further details.

If you could be bothered to read my post the main point I was trying to make was that youth success doesn't always translate into senior success. Do you think it would do Griffiths any good if he is placed under too much pressure too young?

But maybe that example was unfair as was my choice of phrasing, so I've edited it - you can go back to helping out Fat Tony now.
Further details to be announced shortly.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

8 years later and he is struggling on the Challenge Tour and has picked up £7k in 2 years

Time on his side however
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

Bored?
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

oche balboa wrote:8 years later and he is struggling on the Challenge Tour and has picked up £7k in 2 years

Time on his side however
Didnt he have a few issues in his first years on the tour?

Sure he was the kid I watched play on the tour around 2012 and John Gwynne was telling me all through the game that he was going to be a world champion and a future star.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
oche balboa wrote:8 years later and he is struggling on the Challenge Tour and has picked up £7k in 2 years

Time on his side however
Didnt he have a few issues in his first years on the tour?

Sure he was the kid I watched play on the tour around 2012 and John Gwynne was telling me all through the game that he was going to be a world champion and a future star.
I think Gwynne sponsored him for a good while. Always struck me as being a bit petulant and had temperament problems when it wasn't going his way.

If he's the next Phil Taylor, the purchase of a camper van should see his career on the upturn in no time.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

No a flash in the pan.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"