BBC confirm Lakeside dropped.

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ChrisW
International

BBC confirm Lakeside dropped.

Post by ChrisW »

The first Champions League of Darts will be broadcast live across the BBC in what is being billed as an "exciting new era" for the sport.

The eight-player tournament will be held in Cardiff on 24-25 September.

It will feature the leading eight players from the PDC Order of Merit come the end of July's World Matchplay, and the champion will earn £100,000.

The decision to broadcast the new event means the BBC will cease to cover the BDO World Championship.

PDC chairman Barry Hearn said the "very best players" will be participating in the Champions League of Darts, which he called an "exciting, quick-fire tournament".

The eight players will be split for a round-robin group phase, with the top two from each group progressing to the knockout stages.

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "Darts has always had wide appeal and it is great that audiences will get the chance to see all the action from the world's top players live on BBC Two and across our platforms."
Skewball
International

Re: BBC confirm Lakeside dropped.

Post by Skewball »

Well that's todays news from the PDC / BBC

over to you Warren on Friday......

Cant believe how much Barry has taken the piss out of the #newera!
Last edited by Skewball on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Good lord, is this real?
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Yeah Warren......lol
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

They edited the news item in the last half hour.
Someone decided. Hey this is a good way we can break the news.
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

On Fanatics: "Massive disloyalty from BBC."

When will they realise the LOYALTY means sod all if your product isn't what the market wants.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

markymark wrote:On Fanatics: "Massive disloyalty from BBC."

:DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Re: RE: Re: BBC confirm Lakeside dropped.

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Corkonian wrote:Image
Gives the dog a break at least
UKDA 4 Life
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

Corkonian wrote:

Wait for it...
"Ultimate betrayal from the BBC"

It's the delusion. Why can't they see why the "non-regulation boards" and "not proper fans" are part of a product that comes across better on TV.

Even last week's PL from Leeds, as disappointing as it may have been for many of us watching compared to the standard at the Worlds, still comes across as a big event, something the BBC always talk about with the reduction in the sport budget.

It's not the BBC's fault (joke commentators aside) as to why the BDO/Lakeside is where it is today, is it?
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

markymark wrote:
Corkonian wrote:

Wait for it...
"Ultimate betrayal from the BBC"

It's the delusion. Why can't they see why the "non-regulation boards" and "not proper fans" are part of a product that comes across better on TV.

Even last week's PL from Leeds, as disappointing as it may have been for many of us watching compared to the standard at the Worlds, still comes across as a big event, something the BBC always talk about with the reduction in the sport budget.

It's not the BBC's fault (joke commentators aside) as to why the BDO/Lakeside is where it is today, is it?
The BBC owes the BDO a living.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Get the fat lady out and get her singing
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

PDC confirmed TV events for 2016: 11 (not including Streamed Euros, World Series and counting PL as one event)
BDO confirmed TV events for 2016 0 (well , maybe one on Friday)

I think we are finally going to get the situation we need which is the BDO completely changing its structure, tying into the PDC and still managing Superleague/County/UK Opens with an order of merit (including County results potentially) that gives a qualification process to some of the major TV events. Basically recognizing BDO as the Amateur system catering for good players who don't want to commit to full time darts. The PDC provide a handful of places from this order of merit into the World Championships, Grand Slam and UK Open (and a tour card invite). So still offering some opportunity for TV exposure and prize money. The BDO could itself still hold a Lakeside event as the 'Amateur World Championships' maybe with some TV coverage.

Wouldn't that keep everyone happy?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Hello all!!
Big Jock Knew
TDSS
Steady Sixties

Post by TDSS »

Skewball wrote:PDC confirmed TV events for 2016: 11 (not including Streamed Euros, World Series and counting PL as one event)

I think we are finally going to get the situation we need which is the BDO completely changing its structure, tying into the PDC and still managing Superleague/County/UK Opens with an order of merit (including County results potentially) that gives a qualification process to some of the major TV events. Basically recognizing BDO as the Amateur system catering for good players who don't want to commit to full time darts. The PDC provide a handful of places from this order of merit into the World Championships, Grand Slam and UK Open (and a tour card invite). So still offering some opportunity for TV exposure and prize money. The BDO could itself still hold a Lakeside event as the 'Amateur World Championships' maybe with some TV coverage.

TV companies won't touch it for the reason in bold.
Nothing to see here.....
cannibal
Superleague Player

Post by cannibal »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:
ffs laughing so hard I seriously thought I was going to puke.
Proud member of dart forums....
Scuppering darting business deals since 2015
Proud recipient of the first entry on Fartoids Bullshit-o-meter. Total entries: 7 and counting.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

TDSS wrote:
Skewball wrote:PDC confirmed TV events for 2016: 11 (not including Streamed Euros, World Series and counting PL as one event)

maybe 1am extended highlights on Dave TV? :grin:
TDSS
Steady Sixties

Post by TDSS »

Skewball wrote:
TDSS wrote:

maybe 1am extended highlights on Dave TV? :grin:
Something to watch whilst chomping through the post pub kebab? That could work
Nothing to see here.....
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Skewball wrote:I think we are finally going to get the situation we need which is the BDO completely changing its structure, tying into the PDC and still managing Superleague/County/UK Opens with an order of merit (including County results potentially) that gives a qualification process to some of the major TV events.
Major TV events? The UK Open maybe, but beyond that? (Perhaps a tour card or two directly through a seasonal ranking, that's all.) The Grand Slam is arguably finished in its current form soon if the BDO no longer has TV exposure and no ability to build up 'name' players of their own. The PDC might as well go back to what they did in the early GSOD days and invite some international players rather than the usual BDO crowd there.

"BDO players" will be given fewer opportunities in the PDC system in the future, not more. Want more opportunities? Commit to playing PDC, it's that simple.
Last edited by Zeyes on Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mapleleafdarts
Steady Sixties

Post by mapleleafdarts »

cannibal wrote:
Moongoose McQueeen wrote:
ffs laughing so hard I seriously thought I was going to puke.
And there goes my morning coffee...legendary.