Is the World Matchplay too long?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
ST87
Steady Sixties

Is the World Matchplay too long?

Post by ST87 »

Raymond van Barneveld put in a creditable showing against Phil Taylor in the World Matchplay final, but despite it being a close contest until the final few legs, it was always likely that the man from Stoke would add yet another title to his collection. Apart from the Dutchman, only Barrie Bates gave Phil a close examination this week.

Now, not only is Taylor darts U.S.P., but he’s by far and away the best player in the World over any format. It’s up to the rest to try and knock him from the top of darts pedestal. But is it now the case that the best of 35 legs is simply too long?

Whilst a comeback over the legs format can be very exciting, equally a dominant performance over such a distance can be one big turn-off.

You only need to look at the 2009 Matchplay and 2009 Grand Slam finals for evidence of this. Taylor defeated Terry Jenkins and Scott Waites by a margin of 18-4 and 16-2 respectively.

I don’t advocate a change in format just because I want to see someone else win. Even over a modest distance Taylor would win 99 times out of 100 at present.

But the better games this week were the ones that were played over the best of 25. There were no tie-breakers from the quarter-finals onwards.

Barry Hearn more or less said on 5 Live recently that Sky have a big part to play in terms of what happens in their televised events.

If the man from Sky said that the Matchplay latter stages needed to be shorter, would he accept it?

I think he should, otherwise Blackpool – one of the best major events – is in danger of becoming stale, and that would be a great pity.
Further details to be announced shortly.
The Cat
International

Re: Is the World Matchplay too long?

Post by The Cat »

I don't think it was stale at all this week. Many of my mates have said how great it's been and we didn't even have a completely one sided final either. There were some very memorable matches this week.
The early rounds are bound to throw up closer matches because there are more games going on.
boommoob2
Feather Flights

Post by boommoob2 »

I'd prefer a handicap system if your changing just to try and stifle Taylor. Atleast then your being honest about things.
thorntree
The Ton Club

Post by thorntree »

I think it would devalue the tournament if the format was shorter. It's the second most prestigious title so it should be over a long format.
ST87
Steady Sixties

Post by ST87 »

boommoob2 wrote:I'd prefer a handicap system if your changing just to try and stifle Taylor. Atleast then your being honest about things.
This isn’t about stifling Taylor at all. I said in my original post that he was the best player in the World over any distance and would win irrespective of whether the format was long or short. If you are going to take issue with something I’ve said – and you are more than welcome to do so – then you could at least quote me accurately.

The Cat is right to say that there were some memorable matches. Unfortunately, few of them, if any, took place in the latter stages – the business end of a tournament. And whilst the final was a lot closer than some thought, I don’t know many people who thought a Barney victory was likely.

All sports have to constantly evolve over time. Look at snooker. Over the weekend, it was announced that Alex Higgins had passed away. When ‘The Hurricane’ won the World Championship for the first time in 1972, the tournament was played over the course of a YEAR, with the final the best of 73 frames. When he won it for a second time in 1982, it was played over 17, with the final the best of 35 frames.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t advocate a massive reduction for the final – maybe the best of 31 instead of 35. I would probably have the opening two rounds played over the best of 19 with the quarters and semis the best of 25. That way I think there would be more excitement without dumbing down the tournament.

Oh, and Taylor would win! :lol:
Further details to be announced shortly.
and the Iron Fist
Superleague Player

Post by and the Iron Fist »

I sympathize with the point you're making. Personally i've always felt that a sets format is better for long distance games from a spectator's viewpoint.

But... this is the Matchplay and long matchplay format games are the concept, just like double start is the concept for the Grand Prix, 'the FA Cup of darts' is the concept for the UK Open etc. All tv events have to bring something a little bit different to the others or else they are redundant and the calender will become repetitive and boring. That unique factor can be in terms of a format (double start, pairs for eg), a location (tournaments held outside the UK for eg), the players taking part (Players champ finals, Grand Slam etc) or whatever.

So although it's far from my favourite darts event I wouldn't advocate changing it. It is what it is.

And besides, the ongoing trend with new tournaments generally is for shorter formats; it's nice to have the odd tournament like this and the World Champs with long games start to finish. Some players we rarely get to see over that distance because they don't often make the latter stages.
"It seems he thinks he is entitled to say what he likes" - 'Gadffi' Dicie on and the Iron Fist.
woolleybully
Steady Sixties

Post by woolleybully »

maybe have the first and second round best of 19 legs keep the rest the same,and why not have a bull shootout for the deciding leg.
Rudy
County Player

Post by Rudy »

Why change something that is in fact really good? Just because the format suits Taylor and some want others to win the WMP?

I know Barney likes Blackpool but not the format as he's not that good anymore at chasing Taylor, something dating from the 1999 H2H which was most legs won in one hour and once Ray was behind he never saw Phil again until he reached the finish line.

I wonder, btw, how the result would have been in sets format, either best of 3 legs or best of 5 legs.
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Like the Blackpool format.

Maybe straight legs is a fairer reflection of the game sometimes - you look in the book at the WGP results last year and would assume Lewis got tanked 4-0 by Taylor but the legs score was 12-8.

Having said that I like sets as well,

In hindsight then I haven't really got a point to make. :oops: :oops:
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Rave
Superleague Player

Post by Rave »

NO
tootall
Pub Champion

Post by tootall »

The matchplay needs to be left untouched its perfect as it is. If all the tournaments become to alike it will kill the game
HayemakerBen
Steady Sixties

Post by HayemakerBen »

Some tournaments have short format i.e this weeks European Championship and some have longer i.ee Worlds/Matchplay...

I like each tournament to have its individuality, so for me the answer to the OP is a no.
Twitter: Hayemakerben
Facebook:
Ross
The Ton Club

Post by Ross »

Simply no.

Great tournament !
JeroenvdV
Superleague Player

Post by JeroenvdV »

I think you wouldn't change a thing at matchplay.

The formats played over the tournament were perfect, we saw some great matches that were going into extra time because of the 2 leg difference rule, which is great.. :DDDD:

I also wouldn't change anything on the latter stages, what a great close matches we had (except the semis, but that was because Wade and Whitlock were not showing their best game)
Ethanota
Brass Darts

Post by Ethanota »

I would make the tournament longer by having 48 players. Make the first round best of 15, before carrying on with the last 32 onwards exactly as it is now.

This could be done by adding 3 sessions: friday night and saturday and sunday afternoons on the first weekend. These sessions would be easily filled by the crowds and would give something more for slightly lower players to play for in the players championships.
The One Man Gang
Brass Darts

Post by The One Man Gang »

I think the match lenght in terms of legs are fine.I would have liked the matchplay to played over a shorter timeframe as in there being day matches so the event ran for about 4 days
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The One Man Gang wrote:I think the match lenght in terms of legs are fine.I would have liked the matchplay to played over a shorter timeframe as in there being day matches so the event ran for about 4 days
There was 10 sessions this year, I think it would be impossible to fit it into that space of time.

5 days maybe. But why do you want to cram it into such a short space?
Big Jock Knew
The One Man Gang
Brass Darts

Post by The One Man Gang »

taking 4 days to complete the first round is strecthing it a bit too long in my opinion
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The One Man Gang wrote:taking 4 days to complete the first round is strecthing it a bit too long in my opinion
Still the same number of sessions as previous years though. Gives the players longer time to prepare etc.

I dont like some events having the final 3 rounds on the final day, too much of a squeeze. And asking the players at the Matchplay to play a first to 17 on an afternoon, and the a first to 18 in the evening, is pushing it IMO.
Big Jock Knew
Martin Adams Beard
Pub Champion

Post by Martin Adams Beard »

No its not long enough, It should be as long as the world cup :IIII: