Failure
21%

Total votes: 80

Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Re: Was the WDT a success or failure

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

cannibal wrote:
FFS could you pick any older shows, oh wait you know those because they are part of the shite American shows that get shown in syndication on Dave.
It's actually Channel 4, Paddy hasn't been able to afford or get an aerial connection good enough to have Freeview and Dave. :)

Padds should try some of the the better ones, Another Period is probably set in his time. Black Jesus will be good for religious views, and catch up on Documentary Now ;-)
Rout
International

Re: RE: Re: Was the WDT a success or failure

Post by Rout »

The Shank wrote:
Have you read and heard from lots and lots of people about what a great time they had at a PL night? Every time someone says "some people say this" or "a lot of people say that" the counter argument is "some people dont say this" or "a lot of people dont say that". The fact that tens of thousands of people (of all ages) still turn up for the PL all over the country points to the fact that it is a great night out. If people just want to have a piss up then there are much better and cheaper options than going to the darts. People go the PL because they have an interest in darts.

I wasn't mocking you at all, but then you go on to totally mock me!
You say you crave respectful crowds, but then go on to bemoan the PDC telling people off for making too much noise!
There might be a cheaper option but not where there will be thousands of others all doing the same thing. People like to go places where there are a lot more people doing similar things. Its a party. Nothing wrong with that but its not for me and for me its not darts. I am not suggesting the fans are in the wrong for attending, I am explaining that its not what I look for.

I was using humour and sarcasm to make my point. I like to do that as otherwise we all take ourselves a bit too seriously. I didn't make it personal (like mock your dead relatives or anything like that - that happens a lot on some forums) - was just a bit of silliness.

As for your last comment, you talk like there are two options - 1. Baying mob throwing piss on each other, fighting and screaming while players throw. Or 2. Complete silence where opening a pack of crisps is practically a criminal offence.

I don't know how long you have been into the game or how old you are but have a look on youtube for old videos of the news of the world. The audiences were massive. They were rowdy, they made a lot of noise, but they did the worse bits when the players werent throwing. They were all fixated on the action and hooked on every dart thrown. The noise was genuine enthusiasm at what they were watching. Not idiots screaming at each other that they can't afford a table or that they are boring and hurling stuff at each other. That to me is the difference.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

^^^^^
Great post!
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

It's just the truth......
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
The Shank
Superleague Player

Post by The Shank »

Rout wrote:
The Shank wrote:
Have you read and heard from lots and lots of people about what a great time they had at a PL night? Every time someone says "some people say this" or "a lot of people say that" the counter argument is "some people dont say this" or "a lot of people dont say that". The fact that tens of thousands of people (of all ages) still turn up for the PL all over the country points to the fact that it is a great night out. If people just want to have a piss up then there are much better and cheaper options than going to the darts. People go the PL because they have an interest in darts.

You say you crave respectful crowds, but then go on to bemoan the PDC telling people off for making too much noise!
There might be a cheaper option but not where there will be thousands of others all doing the same thing. People like to go places where there are a lot more people doing similar things. Its a party. Nothing wrong with that but its not for me and for me its not darts. I am not suggesting the fans are in the wrong for attending, I am explaining that its not what I look for.

I was using humour and sarcasm to make my point. I like to do that as otherwise we all take ourselves a bit too seriously. I didn't make it personal (like mock your dead relatives or anything like that - that happens a lot on some forums) - was just a bit of silliness.

As for your last comment, you talk like there are two options - 1. Baying mob throwing piss on each other, fighting and screaming while players throw. Or 2. Complete silence where opening a pack of crisps is practically a criminal offence.

I don't know how long you have been into the game or how old you are but have a look on youtube for old videos of the news of the world. The audiences were massive. They were rowdy, they made a lot of noise, but they did the worse bits when the players werent throwing. They were all fixated on the action and hooked on every dart thrown. The noise was genuine enthusiasm at what they were watching. Not idiots screaming at each other that they can't afford a table or that they are boring and hurling stuff at each other. That to me is the difference.
And look what happened to the notw championship. Didn't have the interest to sustain it even though just about everybody in the crowds for those tourneys was a hard core darts fanatic. where did that audience go? Why did they lose interest in the game? They were gone long before the PDC arrived.

There is room in darts for an audience made up of entirely knowledgeable and respectful darts fans, but as the wdt showed (half-full venue on finals day) it isn't gonna be in a big tv event, it will be strictly amateur. I've never been to a county game, but I presume this is what the audience is like?

As for the baying mob, the only crowd I've been in that was throwing piss at each other was at Donington for the monsters of rock.
"Russia committed worse atrocities than Hitler in WW2" - IFM.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

The Shank wrote:
Rout wrote:
The Shank wrote:

And look what happened to the notw championship. Didn't have the interest to sustain it even though just about everybody in the crowds for those tourneys was a hard core darts fanatic. where did that audience go? Why did they lose interest in the game? They were gone long before the PDC arrived.

There is room in darts for an audience made up of entirely knowledgeable and respectful darts fans, but as the wdt showed (half-full venue on finals day) it isn't gonna be in a big tv event, it will be strictly amateur. I've never been to a county game, but I presume this is what the audience is like?

As for the baying mob, the only crowd I've been in that was throwing piss at each other was at Donington for the monsters of rock.
I think they got bored of the same faces playing each other over and over and over and over again.
As for the WDT crowd, well that is no indication as i'm sure you already know, you simply cannot use that as a barometer.
County, yeah bar a few most are half empty rooms with players and a few relatives having a jolly.
As for your PL thing earlier, i've been to 2, both half empty, very expensive and very intimidating with basically idiots running around shouting in peoples faces and pushing people out of the way.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ifm wrote:I wonder if you even see it yourself, you are so blinded by the PDC marker pen it's bizarre.
Though by your own logic, as the BDO are so brilliant at putting on the WDT they should stick to it, yay.
As a finished product it was terrific but even a troll can't be blind to the De:Luxe fiasco in the build up to it and the fact that it has almost certainly lost a sack of cash.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

[youtube][/youtube]
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
ifm wrote:I wonder if you even see it yourself, you are so blinded by the PDC marker pen it's bizarre.
Though by your own logic, as the BDO are so brilliant at putting on the WDT they should stick to it, yay.
As a finished product it was terrific but even a troll can't be blind to the De:Luxe fiasco in the build up to it and the fact that it has almost certainly lost a sack of cash.
My thought, because of the deluxe fiasco i genuinely cannot entertain the thought that the board lied about the prize fund being covered, it would be the single worst thing to have happened in the last 6 months, nobody is that incompetent/brazen/daft/arrogant/egotistical/pompous.
Surely?
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ifm wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:
My thought, because of the deluxe fiasco i genuinely cannot entertain the thought that the board lied about the prize fund being covered, it would be the single worst thing to have happened in the last 6 months, nobody is that incompetent/brazen/daft/arrogant/egotistical/pompous.
Surely?
I hope not. However, I genuinely think that if they had the sponsors and the money was sufficient to cover the prize-fund they'd have announced it there and then and shouted it from the rooftops.

Sponsorship is about publicity of the brand and if Sports DIrect were on board 3 weeks before the WDT they would have been furious about it not being announced until 1 or 2 days before the event.

Trouble is, we may never know the truth.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

ifm wrote:
The Shank wrote:
Rout wrote:
The Shank wrote:

I think they got bored of the same faces playing each other over and over and over and over again.
As for the WDT crowd, well that is no indication as i'm sure you already know, you simply cannot use that as a barometer.
County, yeah bar a few most are half empty rooms with players and a few relatives having a jolly.
As for your PL thing earlier, i've been to 2, both half empty, very expensive and very intimidating with basically idiots running around shouting in peoples faces and pushing people out of the way.
What were the two PL events you went to?

I remember going to the finals night at the O2 a couple years back and it was a great night. One fight at the end of the night between two wee laddies who were chasing each other around the bar areas, funny as fuck it was.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Col wrote:
ifm wrote:
The Shank wrote:
Rout wrote:
The Shank wrote:

What were the two PL events you went to?

I remember going to the finals night at the O2 a couple years back and it was a great night. One fight at the end of the night between two wee laddies who were chasing each other around the bar areas, funny as fek it was.
Brum and Nottingham, Brum was around 2010/11, Notts was a couple of years later i think.

Madsocks
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

You sure about them being half empty? You tube suggests otherwise.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Back on topic...not sure if anyone else has mentioned that 'Dave' having Mason and Rawling on comms together throughout was a masterstroke - they very much thought through things like this that made The World Trophy a success !!!
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Col wrote:You sure about them being half empty? You tube suggests otherwise.
I was there, ignore the telly it's simple to keep the cameras on selected areas.
You really are desperate to trip me up lol, never gonna happen.

Madsocks
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

ifm wrote:
I was there, ignore the telly it's simple to keep the cameras on selected areas.
So what you are saying is ignore the visible evidence which includes camera shots from the stage showing the whole arena and instead take a trolls word for it?

You have been busted yet again.

Embarrassed for you fella.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Col wrote:
ifm wrote:
So what you are saying is ignore the visible evidence which includes camera shots from the stage showing the whole arena and instead take a trolls word for it?

"Half empty" Nottingham arena.

ifm
International

Post by ifm »

DavidOwen67 wrote:
Col wrote:
ifm wrote:

What was the date that photo was taken?
This was early days in the PL, i know you fanboys are blinded but they never started out with £5m in prize funds and sellout arenas lol :MAD:

Madsocks
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Col wrote:
ifm wrote:

The thing is Col you are a proven liar, i don't tell lies so.........

Madsocks
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

ifm wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:
Col wrote:
ifm wrote:

What was the date that photo was taken?
This was early days in the PL, i know you fanboys are blinded but they never started out with £5m in prize funds and sellout arenas lol :MAD:
Oh dear. That's from 2009 (see Terry Jenkins on the big screen). :D :D

SO kind of the "early days" of the PL. :D