International

Re: Was the WDT a success or failure

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Clever camera angle.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Paddy McGinty wrote:Clever camera angle.
:D

Shows about 3/4 of the arena! Even if all the remaining "out of shot" seats were not taken up it still wouldn't be half empty!!

Give this one up, lads :D :D
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

A lot of the crowd have been photoshopped in......

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

DavidOwen67 wrote:

Shows about 3/4 of the arena! Even if all the remaining "out of shot" seats were not taken up it still wouldn't be half empty!!

The thing is David Owens you and Alky Col seem to be taking this personally as you do with all PDC related things, i wasn't having a pop, just stating a fact as i was there.
I remember Brum more clearly as my pal played up on the stage before the main event started, i was there, so you can show me any amount of pictures you like because it makes no difference to me.
Peter, Peter, Peter!!!
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

I have been to many premier league nights in aa multitude of different places over the years, the early years were all 2500-4000 seat places and they were always packed. With mainly darts fans. However now the arenas are 8000-10000 and most of the people there are just getting pissed and hardly watch the darts. All the chanting and standing up really p1sses me off.
I have been to lakeside many times and although it is a lot quieter and nicer not having drunken pricks shouting in your ear all night, it is rather boring.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

BlueSpark wrote:I have been to many premier league nights in aa multitude of different places over the years, the early years were all 2500-4000 seat places and they were always packed. With mainly darts fans. However now the arenas are 8000-10000 and most of the people there are just getting pissed and hardly watch the darts. All the chanting and standing up really p1sses me off.
I have been to lakeside many times and although it is a lot quieter and nicer not having drunken pricks shouting in your ear all night, it is rather boring.
It seems there's just no pleasing you......... :grin:
The Suit
Pub Champion

Post by The Suit »

DavidOwen67 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Bloomin brill!
Very little hush at the Ally Pally even in 1976. Just huge numbers cheering on their fav and having a drink sodden party. Sid Waddel wrote that it was these finals that gave the push for more darts and other indoor sports on TV. Even Lowe was affected by his first experience in that cauldron.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Proper darts...everyone of the faces is looking towards the stage you don't see that often nowadays unless you go to a BDO/EDO event.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:I have been to many premier league nights in aa multitude of different places over the years, the early years were all 2500-4000 seat places and they were always packed. With mainly darts fans. However now the arenas are 8000-10000 and most of the people there are just getting pissed and hardly watch the darts. All the chanting and standing up really p1sses me off.
It seems there's just no pleasing you......... :grin:
:grin:
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

I really don't get this idea amongst many that a noisy crowd equals what the tv companies want - there are plenty of sports where the crowds are sparse and yet the tv companies keep showing these sports - county cricket to name one. I know which one I'd rather be at and see on tv...
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

ifm wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:

The thing is David Owens you and Alky Col seem to be taking this personally as you do with all PDC related things, i wasn't having a pop, just stating a fact as i was there.
I remember Brum more clearly as my pal played up on the stage before the main event started, i was there, so you can show me any amount of pictures you like because it makes no difference to me.
Peter, Peter, Peter!!!
Some videos from the dates you think you were at the venues. Only a complete and utter buffoon would suggest the venues were half empty. Which leads to me to believe one of two things. 1. The PDC manipulate photographs and videos to make it appear that venues are busier than they actually are or 2. You are talking complete and utter bullshit. My house and everything I own is on the latter.

Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Even your Whiskey?

Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Paddy McGinty wrote:Even your Whiskey?

:grin:
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

DavidB wrote:Back on topic...not sure if anyone else has mentioned that 'Dave' having Mason and Rawling on comms together throughout was a masterstroke - they very much thought through things like this that made The World Trophy a success !!!
Very early on a lot of people were suggesting Mason and Rawlings as the better commentators on darts and from what I saw and heard they were perfect.
The worse one for me was I think the Womens (final?) when Alex, Scott and Trina were commentating. Scott seemed to want to cram everything he could possibly say, most of which ended up contradicting himself, Trina didn't know what to say bar the usual stuff people ramble on about and Alex didn't seem to be able to keep them in check.
Maybe the players that get asked to work in the commentary box for the future tournaments should book in for a media course !!!
Though maybe not the one Michael Owen seems to have taken ;-) ;-) ;-)
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Wubbalubbadubdub wrote:
DavidB wrote:Back on topic...not sure if anyone else has mentioned that 'Dave' having Mason and Rawling on comms together throughout was a masterstroke - they very much thought through things like this that made The World Trophy a success !!!
Very early on a lot of people were suggesting Mason and Rawlings as the better commentators on darts and from what I saw and heard they were perfect.
The worse one for me was I think the Womens (final?) when Alex, Scott and Trina were commentating. Scott seemed to want to cram everything he could possibly say, most of which ended up contradicting himself, Trina didn't know what to say bar the usual stuff people ramble on about and Alex didn't seem to be able to keep them in check.
Maybe the players that get asked to work in the commentary box for the future tournaments should book in for a media course !!!
Though maybe not the one Michael Owen seems to have taken ;-) ;-) ;-)
That Alex guy wasn't the worst though, he did alright.

Rawling still top commentator for me. He goes off does his research, doesn't bullshit and most of all actually knows his stuff.

The idea of players doing it is all a bit "help out out the players" Mitchell was alright but Fordham was shite as was trina
T14T11
Pub Champion

Post by T14T11 »

The Scottish commentator as really good, I thought. I'm tired of the typical 'commentatory' voice like Studd, Pearson and, on motd, fucking Guy Mowbray.
davcol
Superleague Player

Post by davcol »

ifm wrote:
davcol wrote:
ifm wrote:
davcol wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:Of course, there still remains the question of how much of the members money was used to prop this up.

No way Sports Direct chucked the full £100K in the pot. They didn't even care enough to send a rep to be in the presentation party on the final day (which smacks to me that it might have even been a freebie - "can we use your brand name so it at least looks like we had a sponsor and you get a bunch of free advertising?").

No how much (if anything) did they put in?
What were the TV production costs and who covered them?
How much will now have to be paid out from the members money?
And why did Sue et al assure all the county reps that there were sponsors on board 3 weeks before the event that would cover the whole pot when this patently was a cynical untruth to take the heat off the Board?

I think we should be told.

If it is the case that the BDO had to fund the tournament then its another abuse of their ever shrinking funds since Sue Williams took over. The BDO will be bankrupt in about 3 years unless they make changes now while they can.
It's a hope, a prayer, the fact is they have been made to cry and seethe over the WDT and are lashing out at any tiny thing they can think of, glorious to watch.
I dont know who the they is you are referring to Ian but the only thing im seething about is the likelyhood that lies have been told about sponsorship. Im genuinly pleased that the tournament went well and even more so for Fitton who is a gent however the facts are that the money in reserve is getting smaller year on year and carry on like this and there will be no BDO as we know it.
The fanboys, see above.
You think im a PDC fanboy ? haha are you nuts or is that just your go to answer to difficult questions Ian.
Anyway im pleased for Fitton and sincerely hope next round of accounts dont show another decreasing cash reserve.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

davcol wrote:
ifm wrote:
davcol wrote:
ifm wrote:
davcol wrote:

If it is the case that the BDO had to fund the tournament then its another abuse of their ever shrinking funds since Sue Williams took over. The BDO will be bankrupt in about 3 years unless they make changes now while they can.
It's a hope, a prayer, the fact is they have been made to cry and seethe over the WDT and are lashing out at any tiny thing they can think of, glorious to watch.
I dont know who the they is you are referring to Ian but the only thing im seething about is the likelyhood that lies have been told about sponsorship. Im genuinly pleased that the tournament went well and even more so for Fitton who is a gent however the facts are that the money in reserve is getting smaller year on year and carry on like this and there will be no BDO as we know it.
The fanboys, see above.
You think im a PDC fanboy ? haha are you nuts or is that just your go to answer to difficult questions Ian.
Anyway im pleased for Fitton and sincerely hope next round of accounts dont show another decreasing cash reserve.
No, the people above, my chasers.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
davcol
Superleague Player

Post by davcol »

Ok sorry my misunderstanding there.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

The first Premier League night I went to was held in a sports hall.

Less than 1k people attended.