Justin van Tergouw

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
oche balboa
International

Re: Justin van Tergouw

Post by oche balboa »

Good enough you are old enough

Simply
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Justin van Tergouw

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:Good enough you are old enough

Simply
Is the correct answer. This lad seemingly is sticking around until at least the next Lakeside, the worst thing they can do is refuse him to play in the main event if he qualifies for it.

If anything they should give the youth winner a spot in the main event the year after but that's a different debate.
Big Jock Knew
Stranbougie
The Ton Club

Post by Stranbougie »

Rout wrote:I think there's a social responsibility that has to be considered. Is it right to put a young child in a situation where they are under immense pressure watched by huge numbers?
you have clearly never watched the olympics.

elements of social responsibility are you really having a bloody laugh ?

the boy is 16 hes an adult can do what he wants without idiots like you trying to shield him from the big bad world.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

If he was about 12 Rout may have a point.
But he isnt.

Oh and he has already played in front of a worldwide (stop sniggering at the back there!) audience when he played the Lakeside youth final. The BDO cant claim they want to "protect" him from the pressure of a big stage when they already hold their youth final on it.
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Re: RE: Re: Justin van Tergouw

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ginge wrote:
Rout wrote:I think there's a social responsibility that has to be considered. Is it right to put a young child in a situation where they are under immense pressure watched by huge numbers?
They now do the Youth Final at Lakeside so there we are.
Ginge admitting that Lakeside is watched by huge numbers there........... ;-)

And that's just the youth......
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Anything constructive to add to the debate, Padds?
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ginge wrote:Anything constructive to add to the debate, Padds?
No your post has made my day Pudds, Ginge finally admitting that Lakeside is watched by huge numbers.....what a great start to the week....
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Ginge wrote:Anything constructive to add to the debate, Padds?
No your post has made my day Pudds, Ginge finally admitting that Lakeside is watched by huge numbers.....what a great start to the week....
Well it was certainly watched by more who will be watching the Frontrunner coverage next month :D
Big Jock Knew
ChunkIOW
Pub Champion

Post by ChunkIOW »

Surely social responsibility cant be drawn into it, playing as long as he has I'm sure he is used to spending weekends and evenings with much older people who are all having a beer or six whilst he is on the fizzy pop. And having already played on the big stage why should that be a concern.

If he's good enough he is old enough.

The only issue is alcohol. From experience, playing super league at 14 and then county at 15 it tends to set up up for a love of drink for the rest of your life!! :roll: :? ;-)
It's better to be lucky than good!
The Shank
Superleague Player

Post by The Shank »

Does make me lol that the people saying the youths need to be protected are the same people that slate mvg for not winning lakeside when he was 17!
"Russia committed worse atrocities than Hitler in WW2" - IFM.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChunkIOW wrote:Surely social responsibility cant be drawn into it, playing as long as he has I'm sure he is used to spending weekends and evenings with much older people who are all having a beer or six whilst he is on the fizzy pop. And having already played on the big stage why should that be a concern.

The only issue is alcohol. From experience, playing super league at 14 and then county at 15 it tends to set up up for a love of drink for the rest of your life!! :roll: :? ;-)
I have no doubt that the excuse that will be trotted out is that he would be unable to wear the patch of the bookie at Lakeside. This is despite the bookie probably not even have been asked if its OK for one player not to wear it, and also despite that fact that Justin not wearing the patch would actually be positive press for the bookie as it would show they dont force kids to promote their business.
Big Jock Knew
ChunkIOW
Pub Champion

Post by ChunkIOW »

Ginge wrote:
ChunkIOW wrote:Surely social responsibility cant be drawn into it, playing as long as he has I'm sure he is used to spending weekends and evenings with much older people who are all having a beer or six whilst he is on the fizzy pop. And having already played on the big stage why should that be a concern.

I have no doubt that the excuse that will be trotted out is that he would be unable to wear the patch of the bookie at Lakeside. This is despite the bookie probably not even have been asked if its OK for one player not to wear it, and also despite that fact that Justin not wearing the patch would actually be positive press for the bookie as it would show they dont force kids to promote their business.
Indeed, the BDO would have a good opportunity here to show the sport is also for youths. Sponsorship patches can quite easily be changed for him, just something else linked to any of the sponsors that is either more in line with youth or away from beer and bookies, maybe a charity or simply Lakeside. A alcohol sponsor patch could just be changed to a soft drink from the same company, I know a couple of football teams did this with their youth shirts so not advertising beer but still something linked with the main sponsor.
It's better to be lucky than good!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

What patches did Justin and the other kid wear during their Youth final?

Guessing nothing promoting a bookie or an alcoholic beverage.

So there we are then, shows it can be done if one of them happens to make the main draw of the mens event.
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

I was speaking in a general sense about having age limits. Not in specific terms relating to one person.

I think 16 is about right as a cut off.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Is there an age limit specified in any BDO rules?
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

ChrisW wrote:Is there an age limit specified in any BDO rules?
Yes there must be as that little girl couldn't play at Lakeside.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
ChrisW wrote:Is there an age limit specified in any BDO rules?
Yes there must be as that little girl couldn't play at Lakeside.
Anthony Fleet?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Bub
Pub Champion

Post by Bub »

nikkiboy wrote:
mshaw2 wrote:Remember what it was like to have dreams and aspirations, lads?
Ah yes, I remember when I was a kid I dreamed of reaching the top shelf of the supermarket shelf without calling for help or using a ladder. Now I'm fully grown I still have the same fekkin dream.
Ha Ha - you've not changed then Nik !! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

The Shank wrote:Does make me lol that the people saying the youths need to be protected are the same people that slate mvg for not winning lakeside when he was 17!
Did you just make a sensible post? :omg:
The Shank
Superleague Player

Post by The Shank »

26scored wrote:
The Shank wrote:Does make me lol that the people saying the youths need to be protected are the same people that slate mvg for not winning lakeside when he was 17!
Did you just make a sensible post? :omg:
I often do, or did at least.

Gave up trying when every decent discussion turned into "I hate the pdc".
"Russia committed worse atrocities than Hitler in WW2" - IFM.