Darts in the media

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
nikkiboy
International

Darts in the media

Post by nikkiboy »

Sexest Darts Stall

The stall at Thurlow Country Fayre, with two dartboards for men set back from and above the boards for women and children

A darts stall at a country fair which advertised a lower and nearer board as the women's option has been slammed as "sexist".

The attraction, run by a private stallholder at Thurlow Country Fayre in the village of Thurlow near Haverhill, had separate darts boards for men, women and children.

The board, labelled "ladies", was positioned at a lower height and nearer to the thrower than the one for men. It was next to the children's dartboard.

Builder Lee Jenkins, 28, was one of the 2,000 people attending the event on Sunday.

He said: "I just couldn't believe it.

"It was so obvious what had been done and the chap didn't seem to see any problem with it, I just think it's insulting to men and women."

In professional darts men and women throw from the same distance, with the gap between thrower and board measuring 7 feet 9.25 inches.

One female fair-goer who did not wish to be named said: "It's just a joke. How in 2016 is something that sexist acceptable and allowed to be on display for everyone to see?"

Throwers at the stall had to get three darts in the yellow area of the board to win a cuddly toy.

The private stall was one of many attractions at the annual fair, with others including sheep racing, a tug-of-war and a dog show. Proceeds from the event go to charity.

A spokeswoman for Thurlow Fayre committee said the stall holder is a frequent visitor to the fayre and there have never been any previous complaints about him.

She added: "The Thurlow Fayre does not condone sexism or prejudice of any kind. The stall in question was rented to a third party.

"Thurlow Fayre is known for being a great family day out attracting between 2 and 3,000 visitors per year and is an important fundraising event supporting local charities including the local toddler group, sports clubs, village hall, churchs and the WI."

Read more at http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/fair-go ... lKXSFYC.99
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
devosteve
International

Re: Darts in the media

Post by devosteve »

His motivation was to make money by appealing to kids and women to play because he was making it easier for them. That is something that is seen as sexist.

The next you know folks will want female tennis players to have to play less than best of 5!

On A Serious note: I Wonder How Many Men And Women felt Insulted as Lee the builder was?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

"Sexist"
erdogan camelback
Brass Darts

Post by erdogan camelback »

Sheepe tug of war?
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

devosteve wrote:His motivation was to make money by appealing to kids and women to play because he was making it easier for them. That is something that is seen as sexist.

The next you know folks will want female tennis players to have to play less than best of 5!

?

Good point, what would come next, women throwing lighter shot puts, smaller javelins, shorter hurdles.
Whatever next.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Sexiest?
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Do you think the men's board was set at the correct distance?

I've never got my tape measure out at the Fayre. :)
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Yes yes, but how many mm in diameter was the bullseye? How does that compare to a Unicorn board?
I think we need another detailed analysis using some calipers.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Duzza saved the Boro!
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: Darts in the media

Post by ifm »

BlueSpark wrote:Yes yes, but how many mm in diameter was the bullseye? How does that compare to a Unicorn board?
I think we need another detailed analysis using some calipers.
Well as its not a blade 5 considerably smaller......

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Cadby is a sc*mbag.
Last edited by Ginge on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Jock Knew
masticman
Superleague Player

Post by masticman »

Ginge wrote:BDO darts player aged 59 gets the begging bucket out...

http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/sport/more-sp ... -1-7813569
Paul barham smashed this guy of the board in uk open qualifier in Norwich
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

:omg:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/my-s ... -2gccjpqcv

My sporting body: Gerwyn Price, darts player

Picture exclusive: Marc Aspland. Interview: Alex Lowe
gp.jpg
gp.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 16245 times
I wish I had discovered darts ten years earlier than I did. I grew up playing rugby union, representing Wales in all the age-groups and all I wanted to do was to win a senior international cap. I had a brief spell with Glasgow Warriors but spent most of my career playing for Neath and Cross Keys. I was in the same Wales Under-20 team as Jamie Roberts, James Hook and also Alun Wyn Jones, who I would have to rank as the best player I have played with. When I was 28 I started to think about life beyond rugby and I thought I might go to college to become a plumber or an electrician. Then my friend started up a pub league for darts. I picked up a set of arrows and realised I was all right. I started winning local open competitions and then my friend Barry encouraged me to go to the qualifying school. I got my tour card and had to decide between rugby and darts. There is a lot more money and a lot more longevity in darts than rugby so I decided to bite the bullet and took a dive in at the deep end.

I never got to experience the Millennium Stadium atmosphere as a rugby player but the experience of playing at Alexandra Palace is unbelievable. I played Ian White on Friday afternoon and I was on for a nine-darter. It was the first time I had heard the roar of the crowd when you are on for that seventh treble. The atmosphere on the stage is unbelievable.

I have reached the fourth round of the World Championships, which is my best performance at Alexandra Palace, and tomorrow night I am playing Michael van Gerwen, the best in the world. I have come this far without any coaching at all but I did tweet the former pro and commentator Wayne Mardle recently and said that I am at a stage in my career where I need to push on. I asked if he would give me some insights into how I could improve. It hasn’t happened yet but he said that he would have a look after this tournament. As of now, the sport is just something that I’ve picked up myself.

I played hooker in rugby and so had to throw the ball into the lineout but the cross-over skills are more mental than physical. When you throw the ball in at the lineout you are using two hands and aiming at a moving target — but I learnt how to be professional about preparation during my rugby career. I guess I have taken that across with me into darts. I practise for about five hours a day in blocks of about 45 minutes because I find you can end up just throwing the darts with no real purpose and that is counterproductive. I usually practise at home but I live next door to a pub which opens at 2pm and sometimes, if my mother-in-law can pick up my daughters from school, I will go in there for some competitive practice against Barry, who I met when I was competing at the open tournaments in Wales.

I am in the gym between 9-11 every morning. It is not like when I played rugby. I do lighter weights and more repetitions, just trying to keep things ticking over. Staying in shape makes me feel better in myself and I feel a lot more confident. Some of the players on stage don’t feel comfortable in themselves and it shows in their game, so mentally I think it helps me a lot. I will probably go and see a sports psychologist next year.

I think 90 per cent of players have the ability. It is just the way their minds work. If you can conquer your mind and keep yourself focused in games, you will come through them. As long as you are strong-minded and keep a clear head you will do better than most of the guys who don’t look after themselves. Some of them don’t prepare right and you can see that in some of the players. They don’t prepare right before the games and you think, “How can they expect to win?”

I am in bed early. I have a travel board that I put on my door in the hotel. I get a good night’s sleep. I don’t drink at all when I am playing. I don’t smoke. The hardest part is trying to keep my diet right because being away all the time you have takeaways and the easiest things that come along. When I am at home I can eat healthily. I don’t diet but I don’t eat as much rubbish at home as when I am away.

I believe darts is a sport. It has come from a pub game but it has moved on now. It is much more professional. It has cleaned up a lot.

You do not have to be especially good at mental arithmetic. It is just repetition. If I was to say to you, “What is 3x20?” you would know it without counting. It is the same in darts; you pick it up along the way because you work the different scenarios. From about 300 down you will start to work out your routes to the checkout. If you miss your first dart then you know where you are going next. For example, if you are on a 126 you would never start on a treble 20.

I don’t miss the rugby but I miss the camaraderie, the boys, the banter. I wouldn’t change anything though. I love the travel, I love playing darts, I love getting on the big stage and I love the feeling of winning. On the other hand, I hate losing and it feels a lot worse losing in darts than it did to lose in rugby because it is all on you.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

ChrisW wrote::omg:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/my-s ... -2gccjpqcv

My sporting body: Gerwyn Price, darts player

Picture exclusive: Marc Aspland. Interview: Alex Lowe
gp.jpg
I wish I had discovered darts ten years earlier than I did. I grew up playing rugby union, representing Wales in all the age-groups and all I wanted to do was to win a senior international cap. I had a brief spell with Glasgow Warriors but spent most of my career playing for Neath and Cross Keys. I was in the same Wales Under-20 team as Jamie Roberts, James Hook and also Alun Wyn Jones, who I would have to rank as the best player I have played with. When I was 28 I started to think about life beyond rugby and I thought I might go to college to become a plumber or an electrician. Then my friend started up a pub league for darts. I picked up a set of arrows and realised I was all right. I started winning local open competitions and then my friend Barry encouraged me to go to the qualifying school. I got my tour card and had to decide between rugby and darts. There is a lot more money and a lot more longevity in darts than rugby so I decided to bite the bullet and took a dive in at the deep end.

I never got to experience the Millennium Stadium atmosphere as a rugby player but the experience of playing at Alexandra Palace is unbelievable. I played Ian White on Friday afternoon and I was on for a nine-darter. It was the first time I had heard the roar of the crowd when you are on for that seventh treble. The atmosphere on the stage is unbelievable.

I have reached the fourth round of the World Championships, which is my best performance at Alexandra Palace, and tomorrow night I am playing Michael van Gerwen, the best in the world. I have come this far without any coaching at all but I did tweet the former pro and commentator Wayne Mardle recently and said that I am at a stage in my career where I need to push on. I asked if he would give me some insights into how I could improve. It hasn’t happened yet but he said that he would have a look after this tournament. As of now, the sport is just something that I’ve picked up myself.

I played hooker in rugby and so had to throw the ball into the lineout but the cross-over skills are more mental than physical. When you throw the ball in at the lineout you are using two hands and aiming at a moving target — but I learnt how to be professional about preparation during my rugby career. I guess I have taken that across with me into darts. I practise for about five hours a day in blocks of about 45 minutes because I find you can end up just throwing the darts with no real purpose and that is counterproductive. I usually practise at home but I live next door to a pub which opens at 2pm and sometimes, if my mother-in-law can pick up my daughters from school, I will go in there for some competitive practice against Barry, who I met when I was competing at the open tournaments in Wales.

I am in the gym between 9-11 every morning. It is not like when I played rugby. I do lighter weights and more repetitions, just trying to keep things ticking over. Staying in shape makes me feel better in myself and I feel a lot more confident. Some of the players on stage don’t feel comfortable in themselves and it shows in their game, so mentally I think it helps me a lot. I will probably go and see a sports psychologist next year.

I think 90 per cent of players have the ability. It is just the way their minds work. If you can conquer your mind and keep yourself focused in games, you will come through them. As long as you are strong-minded and keep a clear head you will do better than most of the guys who don’t look after themselves. Some of them don’t prepare right and you can see that in some of the players. They don’t prepare right before the games and you think, “How can they expect to win?”

I am in bed early. I have a travel board that I put on my door in the hotel. I get a good night’s sleep. I don’t drink at all when I am playing. I don’t smoke. The hardest part is trying to keep my diet right because being away all the time you have takeaways and the easiest things that come along. When I am at home I can eat healthily. I don’t diet but I don’t eat as much rubbish at home as when I am away.

I believe darts is a sport. It has come from a pub game but it has moved on now. It is much more professional. It has cleaned up a lot.

You do not have to be especially good at mental arithmetic. It is just repetition. If I was to say to you, “What is 3x20?” you would know it without counting. It is the same in darts; you pick it up along the way because you work the different scenarios. From about 300 down you will start to work out your routes to the checkout. If you miss your first dart then you know where you are going next. For example, if you are on a 126 you would never start on a treble 20.

I don’t miss the rugby but I miss the camaraderie, the boys, the banter. I wouldn’t change anything though. I love the travel, I love playing darts, I love getting on the big stage and I love the feeling of winning. On the other hand, I hate losing and it feels a lot worse losing in darts than it did to lose in rugby because it is all on you.
Ffs, let's hope Wiz doesn't see this or Dimitri will be relegated to 2nd place in the PDC eye candy league. :grin:

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Just heard some darts results on absolute radio, first time i've heard that.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

A bit old now but.......

Boxing Day simply wasn’t same without wasps or ‘Coughgate’

No darts on the telly on Boxing Day? It seemed wrong, to put it mildly, that the tournament most closely associated with the festive season should rest up on the public holiday most historically linked with sport.

But there it was. Or rather, there it wasn’t. Flying boldly in the face of contemporary retail practices, the PDC World Championship shut up shop on December 23 and won’t reopen for business until this afternoon.

Darts was, like Bing Crosby, home for Christmas, the players given three whole days off, which some would describe as generous — even mollycoddling. During a typically wide-ranging post-match interview with Sky Sports’ unendingly patient Dave Clark, Phil “The Power” Taylor reported that he was having seven people over for a turkey crown on the big day. How many sportspeople, in the middle of a world title bid, could say the same?

On the plus side, you won’t find any darts players complaining about fixture congestion. Indigestion, possibly. But the only congestion troubling the darts world at the moment concerns the respiratory system of Justin Pipe, who finds himself unhappily at the centre of the raging controversy known as “Coughgate”.

As Bernie Smith, of New Zealand, threw darts which could have clinched their first-round encounter, Pipe stood a few feet behind him and appeared to cough into the back of his hand, as if to distract him. The footage was inconclusive as regards intent, and Smith later maintained that he had heard nothing, but Wayne Mardle, in Sky’s glass-backed punditry loft, described the move as “despicable” and, before you knew it, television was facing its biggest bronchial-related furore since Charles Ingram was coughed to victory in Who Wants to be a Millionaire? in 2001.

Pipe, who protests his innocence, now finds himself referred to the Darts Regulation Authority (DRA) and, in his subsequent match (a 4-0 defeat by Taylor), was subjected by an indignant Alexandra Palace crowd to a continuous shellacking, to the point where Taylor said afterwards that he felt sorry for his opponent’s family, watching from the guest area.

Unfortunate scenes. At the same time, the Ally Pally has never been Centre Court at Wimbledon. Unlike the silence the tennis umpire can insist upon, the “best of order” demanded of a darts crowd appears to be a generously flexible term, allowing for choral renditions of “Stand up if you love the darts”, or, in Pipe’s case, during his defeat by Taylor, “You’re not coughing any more.” (There was worse than that, too, but Sky turned down the microphones.)

As such, quite apart from anything else, you wonder about the efficacy of this alleged coughing ruse. Under the pressures of live television, in a steaming hot room full of people dressed as minions, all doing the Yaya/Kolo Touré chant, a throat clearance (even a hearty one) would arguably be the least of your distractions as a darts player.

A storm in a teacup, then? Maybe. Yet, sadly, none of this will check the advance into the game of earplugs (Pipe sensibly wore some against Taylor), a sorry development in a sport that prides itself on the connection between crowd and player. Raymond van Barneveld extracts his earplugs immediately after the match, in full view, at the on-stage drinks table. Again, you would be keen to get a view from the DRA. There’s no extracting an earplug gracefully.

So all-consuming was “Coughgate” that it swallowed “Waspgate” — the first-week incident in which a yellowjacket the size of a soup can menaced the oche while Mensur Suljovic was beating Kevin Painter. Painter appeared the more panicked, ducking wildly as if from a hail of bullets. Suljovic, who lived in Serbia during the Balkan conflict, so had plausibly seen worse, reacted more evenly, allowing the invader to pause on his shirt before brushing it away.

A wasp at the darts in late December? Presumably we can only expect to see more of this as the effects of global warming continue to be felt, and there will be precious little, one fears, that the DRA can do about it. Bug spray and earplugs: the darts of the future. But on Boxing Day, let’s hope.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

ChrisW wrote:A bit old now but.......

Boxing Day simply wasn’t same without wasps or ‘Coughgate’

No darts on the telly on Boxing Day? It seemed wrong, to put it mildly, that the tournament most closely associated with the festive season should rest up on the public holiday most historically linked with sport.

But there it was. Or rather, there it wasn’t. Flying boldly in the face of contemporary retail practices, the PDC World Championship shut up shop on December 23 and won’t reopen for business until this afternoon.

Darts was, like Bing Crosby, home for Christmas, the players given three whole days off, which some would describe as generous — even mollycoddling. During a typically wide-ranging post-match interview with Sky Sports’ unendingly patient Dave Clark, Phil “The Power” Taylor reported that he was having seven people over for a turkey crown on the big day. How many sportspeople, in the middle of a world title bid, could say the same?

On the plus side, you won’t find any darts players complaining about fixture congestion. Indigestion, possibly. But the only congestion troubling the darts world at the moment concerns the respiratory system of Justin Pipe, who finds himself unhappily at the centre of the raging controversy known as “Coughgate”.

As Bernie Smith, of New Zealand, threw darts which could have clinched their first-round encounter, Pipe stood a few feet behind him and appeared to cough into the back of his hand, as if to distract him. The footage was inconclusive as regards intent, and Smith later maintained that he had heard nothing, but Wayne Mardle, in Sky’s glass-backed punditry loft, described the move as “despicable” and, before you knew it, television was facing its biggest bronchial-related furore since Charles Ingram was coughed to victory in Who Wants to be a Millionaire? in 2001.

Pipe, who protests his innocence, now finds himself referred to the Darts Regulation Authority (DRA) and, in his subsequent match (a 4-0 defeat by Taylor), was subjected by an indignant Alexandra Palace crowd to a continuous shellacking, to the point where Taylor said afterwards that he felt sorry for his opponent’s family, watching from the guest area.

Unfortunate scenes. At the same time, the Ally Pally has never been Centre Court at Wimbledon. Unlike the silence the tennis umpire can insist upon, the “best of order” demanded of a darts crowd appears to be a generously flexible term, allowing for choral renditions of “Stand up if you love the darts”, or, in Pipe’s case, during his defeat by Taylor, “You’re not coughing any more.” (There was worse than that, too, but Sky turned down the microphones.)

As such, quite apart from anything else, you wonder about the efficacy of this alleged coughing ruse. Under the pressures of live television, in a steaming hot room full of people dressed as minions, all doing the Yaya/Kolo Touré chant, a throat clearance (even a hearty one) would arguably be the least of your distractions as a darts player.

A storm in a teacup, then? Maybe. Yet, sadly, none of this will check the advance into the game of earplugs (Pipe sensibly wore some against Taylor), a sorry development in a sport that prides itself on the connection between crowd and player. Raymond van Barneveld extracts his earplugs immediately after the match, in full view, at the on-stage drinks table. Again, you would be keen to get a view from the DRA. There’s no extracting an earplug gracefully.

So all-consuming was “Coughgate” that it swallowed “Waspgate” — the first-week incident in which a yellowjacket the size of a soup can menaced the oche while Mensur Suljovic was beating Kevin Painter. Painter appeared the more panicked, ducking wildly as if from a hail of bullets. Suljovic, who lived in Serbia during the Balkan conflict, so had plausibly seen worse, reacted more evenly, allowing the invader to pause on his shirt before brushing it away.

A wasp at the darts in late December? Presumably we can only expect to see more of this as the effects of global warming continue to be felt, and there will be precious little, one fears, that the DRA can do about it. Bug spray and earplugs: the darts of the future. But on Boxing Day, let’s hope.
That's funny.

Madsocks
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

jlewis.JPG
jlewis.JPG (68.37 KiB) Viewed 15937 times
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Wasn't there another dedicated thread re darts in the media? Not a problem but this was a bit of a joke one at 1st?

Anyway: pdc in the daily mail today. Most BBC bullion. Not bad but way off being main stream coverage.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.