Post by Paddy McGinty »

Well said Col....
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Re: Lakeside 2017 viewing figures

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

WCDPA wrote:
Ginge wrote:I'll trust Nice Marker over a throwaway comment made at Lakeside to keep someone happy, he has access to viewing data so one assumes he is an industry insider.
No comment made at Lakeside Bradders this was a phone convo I had yesterday morning with img and email correspondence with C4 , did laugh with nice lady from C4 as Deta even got holiday entitlement from them .
Trust me for their first venture into darts and BDO darts at that they are happy , hopefully a lot more to come ! You got to love boxing promoters and their darts input.
Paul you do realise thats not how a TV station works?

The people making the decisions on whether this will carry on will be a group of people that hasnt spoken to a single person from the BDO or took one step into lakeside.

The people who did the production (which wasnt channel 4 anyway as they tendered it out) may have been happy with the event and sent you a nice letter of thanls but all the board (http://www.channel4.com/info/corporate/ ... el-4-board) will care about is whether the number of viewers and potential add revenue during the event (which was minimal when half the adverts was plugging their own app they made) was worthwhile for what they spent over shoving on a 1950s film or Holyoaks on repeat.

Dave was the prime example, did the 3 days or darts and self production really make it worthwhile over repeats of Mock the week.
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Our Television Industry experts have spoken
UKDA 4 Life
Rout
International

Re: RE: Re: Lakeside 2017 viewing figures

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:I'll trust the guy giving me the information I want to hear over anyone else
Fixed
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

UKDA 4 Life
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Rout and MM taking a moment from sniping at each other to team up, there.
Big Jock Knew
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Deflect, deflect
UKDA 4 Life
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:Deflect, deflect
In your opinion, imo.
Big Jock Knew
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
Ginge wrote:I'll trust Nice Marker over a throwaway comment made at Lakeside to keep someone happy, he has access to viewing data so one assumes he is an industry insider.
No comment made at Lakeside Bradders this was a phone convo I had yesterday morning with img and email correspondence with C4 , did laugh with nice lady from C4 as Deta even got holiday entitlement from them .
Trust me for their first venture into darts and BDO darts at that they are happy , hopefully a lot more to come ! You got to love boxing promoters and their darts input.

The people making the decisions on whether this will carry on will be a group of people that hasnt spoken to a single person from the BDO or took one step into lakeside.

The people who did the production (which wasnt channel 4 anyway as they tendered it out) may have been happy with the event and sent you a nice letter of thanls but all the board (http://www.channel4.com/info/corporate/ ... el-4-board) will care about is whether the number of viewers and potential add revenue during the event (which was minimal when half the adverts was plugging their own app they made) was worthwhile for what they spent over shoving on a 1950s film or Holyoaks on repeat.

Dave was the prime example, did the 3 days or darts and self production really make it worthwhile over repeats of Mock the week.
IMG were very happy with their speedway production of GP's on sky as well....didn't stop Sky getting rid of it....IMG Glen sold the same production to Eurosport....same pictures..commentators etc.....but the point is its not down to IMG whether channel 4 themselves were happy or not.....hopefully they would have been as the production itself was very good
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Paddy McGinty wrote:Well said Col....
He only ever does it in retaliation you know ;-)
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Everyone at CH4 had a good time.
nice marker
Steady Sixties

Post by nice marker »

WCDPA wrote:
I suppose a better way to think about would be this; Like all big companies, C4 is made up of lots of different departments and although the success of the business is ultimately everyone's goal, the view how that should be achieved will differ across the business. The programming team, marketing, sales and the production team (which isn't channel 4 but outsourced to an independent) will all have different criteria when determining their relative "happiness" about any programme. Obviously a massive smash hit makes everybody happy, but in a case like this, when the gains are marginal and come down in many ways to interpretation of the performance v lots of different factors (cost, what could have been on instead, what the competition was like, etc) it's perhaps not surprising there may be more than one opinion as to how happy C4 is.
nice marker
Steady Sixties

Post by nice marker »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
nice marker wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:They will never be that accurate nowadays........I told you this ages ago, take them with a pinch of salt.
Although there is some truth in this, regardless of their accuracy they're still the numbers that the broadcasters will base the success of the event on, and therefore that will guide what they are prepared to pay for it in the future.
Also gives them something to gauge the cost of their advertising rates for potential advertisers...
It doesn't just gauge the cost, it is the exact metric of how much each spot costs. Regardless of what the "true" audience may have been, the BARB figures are what are what advertisers are charged against.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

So NM doesnt have a clue either
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:So NM doesnt have a clue either
He has more of a clue than you or me ;)
Big Jock Knew
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
WCDPA wrote:

Correct the old girl was introduced to the head man of channel 4 and had a long chat with him , nice fella it was fun to see when he was around everybody was very busy .
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Im disappointed she didnt get any more swear words into the coverage after her first weekend effort.
Big Jock Knew
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

WCDPA wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
WCDPA wrote:

Correct the old girl was introduced to the head man of channel 4 and had a long chat with him , nice fella it was fun to see when he was around everybody was very busy .
There isnt a headman of channel 4, its run by a board.

The CE is David Abraham but he has to answer to the board, what with C4 being publicly owned

I assume the person you was introduced to was Stephen Lyle, the editor for sport (http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news ... -structure)
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
WCDPA wrote:

channel 4 has a remit set out upon its formation, the following are included in its remit for programmes it shows they must have cultural diversity/alternative views/ & to stimulate debate, theses boxes are more than ticked by them showing bdo darts the channel 4 corporation (company) is actually managed in part by the department for culture media & sport in the uk :IIII:
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

only85 wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
WCDPA wrote:

channel 4 has a remit set out upon its formation, the following are included in its remit for programmes it shows they must have cultural diversity/alternative views/ & to stimulate debate, theses boxes are more than ticked by them showing bdo darts the channel 4 corporation (company) is actually managed in part by the department for culture media & sport in the uk :IIII:
and, probably most importantly, has to be commercially viable