only85
Superleague Player

Re: Lakeside 2017 viewing figures

Post by only85 »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
only85 wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
Ginge wrote:I'll trust Nice Marker over a throwaway comment made at Lakeside to keep someone happy, he has access to viewing data so one assumes he is an industry insider.
No comment made at Lakeside Bradders this was a phone convo I had yesterday morning with img and email correspondence with C4 , did laugh with nice lady from C4 as Deta even got holiday entitlement from them .
Trust me for their first venture into darts and BDO darts at that they are happy , hopefully a lot more to come ! You got to love boxing promoters and their darts input.
Paul you do realise thats not how a TV station works?

The people making the decisions on whether this will carry on will be a group of people that hasnt spoken to a single person from the BDO or took one step into lakeside.

The people who did the production (which wasnt channel 4 anyway as they tendered it out) may have been happy with the event and sent you a nice letter of thanls but all the board (http://www.channel4.com/info/corporate/ ... el-4-board) will care about is whether the number of viewers and potential add revenue during the event (which was minimal when half the adverts was plugging their own app they made) was worthwhile for what they spent over shoving on a 1950s film or Holyoaks on repeat.

Dave was the prime example, did the 3 days or darts and self production really make it worthwhile over repeats of Mock the week.

channel 4 has a remit set out upon its formation, the following are included in its remit for programmes it shows they must have cultural diversity/alternative views/ & to stimulate debate, theses boxes are more than ticked by them showing bdo darts the channel 4 corporation (company) is actually managed in part by the department for culture media & sport in the uk :IIII:
and, probably most importantly, has to be commercially viable
not totally as on itv, channel 4 has a lot more lee way & scope in that area, its not all about bums sat on sofas in front of the box watching to satisfy advertisers as on itv, there was talk a while back of some of the bbc licence fee being given to channel 4 to help it, instead the bbc took over funding s4c & that now appears on iplayer, channel 4 do not produce any programmes by themselves, :IIII:
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Brett looking for info as always
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

oche balboa wrote:Brett looking for info as always
Id love to know the thought process you have Chris before you decide to write a message on a forum
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Id love to know the thought process you have Chris before you decide to write a message on a forum

Banter
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
nice marker
Steady Sixties

Post by nice marker »

Ginge wrote:
oche balboa wrote:So NM doesnt have a clue either
He has more of a clue than you or me ;)
Maybe it's just nuanced and requires thinking about in a wider context, rather than just a black or white "it was/wasn't a success." It offered C4 a boost to daytime viewing at the start of the year, helped soften the blow of losing the horse racing, and the on air presentation worked well. But there would still have been if not necessarily a expectation then a hope that the ratings could have been higher and the fact that there was no broadcast sponsor would indicate that they were unable to maximise the commercial potential.
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

nice marker wrote:
Ginge wrote:
oche balboa wrote:So NM doesnt have a clue either
He has more of a clue than you or me ;)
Maybe it's just nuanced and requires thinking about in a wider context, rather than just a black or white "it was/wasn't a success." It offered C4 a boost to daytime viewing at the start of the year, helped soften the blow of losing the horse racing, and the on air presentation worked well. But there would still have been if not necessarily a expectation then a hope that the ratings could have been higher and the fact that there was no broadcast sponsor would indicate that they were unable to maximise the commercial potential.
everyone hopes for a ratings winner 10million viewers + however this is not channels 4s overall remit for the majority of its content output, it never was never will be, in the industry channel 4 is known for offering quirky telly / something different, a bit of a curve ball offering, a different slant on things, example darts pdc loads of 100+ averages here in the bdo is something different still entertaining in a different way :IIII:
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

I would have thought that channel 4 should be happy enough...it filled a week of afternoon tv at a very quiet time of year...and as long as they can share the evening sessions with a sports channel then I'm sure they would continue.....no idea of that's the case but I would like to think so......can't see them doing any evening coverage of darts on the main channel though.....
Didn't they sign a 2 year deal anyway ?....cannot imagine anything that went on that would stop the second year if that's the case.....
Like all commercial channels they will look at ratings, how much revenue is brought in by adverts in the breaks and how much the programme sponsorship itself brings in.....a guy on site at Lakeside would have no idea so that's pretty irrelevant really.....but channel 4's remit is a bit different to itv and I can't see why they would be unhappy with it all .....not sure they'll do any others during the year though.....so I wonder what's happening with Dave.....or Premier Sports ..although I don't think they'll want to keep doing it free view...
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Channel 4 likes a good mash up of their programmes....8 out of 10 cats does Countdown......
Maybe Naked Attraction does BDO darts.......maybe ?????...
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:Our Television Industry experts have spoken
:grin:
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
only85
Superleague Player

Post by only85 »

trotter wrote:I would have thought that channel 4 should be happy enough...it filled a week of afternoon tv at a very quiet time of year...and as long as they can share the evening sessions with a sports channel then I'm sure they would continue.....no idea of that's the case but I would like to think so......can't see them doing any evening coverage of darts on the main channel though.....
Didn't they sign a 2 year deal anyway ?....cannot imagine anything that went on that would stop the second year if that's the case.....
Like all commercial channels they will look at ratings, how much revenue is brought in by adverts in the breaks and how much the programme sponsorship itself brings in.....a guy on site at Lakeside would have no idea so that's pretty irrelevant really.....but channel 4's remit is a bit different to itv and I can't see why they would be unhappy with it all .....not sure they'll do any others during the year though.....so I wonder what's happening with Dave.....or Premier Sports ..although I don't think they'll want to keep doing it free view...
Think the darts on Dave has got legs to run in that may bank holiday slot, not lakeside though the issue is finding a home / date for masters agreeable for all parties :IIII:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Final Lakeside viewing figures

BT Sport

2016 figure is in brackets and all broadcasts were on BT Sport 1 unless stated:

1st Saturday: 62k (60k on BT Sport 2)
1st Sunday: 62k (did not chart on BT Sport 1, so less than 77k)
Monday: 55k (83k)
Tuesday: 41k (74k)
Wednesday: 55k (68k)
Thursday: 64k (89k)
Friday: 59k (78k)
2nd Semi Final: 66k on BT Sport 2 (68k)
Final: 37k (83k)

Every single session down quite a bit except the first one. In fact ignoring the 1st Sunday session where no comparison can be made, the totals have gone from 603k to 439k, or a 26% reduction.

Has the move from a 6pm start to a 7pm start dented the audience, or is this just mirroring the trend in all subscription sports seeing their viewership going down?

Channel 4

Only one session of darts charted in the Top 30. 30th place was 0.78m, so this is to be expected and also in line with how BBC ONE/TWO sessions used to chart.

Final - 1.02m

Added in with the BT sport figure for the final - 1,057,000 people watched the final, compared to 1,713,000 last year which at the time was the lowest figure.

This represents a drop in the final of 38% on last year.
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Re the BT figures it is just difficult to know if comparison tells us as anything with current trends with streaming.

But would streaming have much impact on c4? Would folks use those boxes, the net etc, when it is on free to view TV channel?

Not good. But still a million.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I think people dont appreciate how much being on the BBC (TV, websites, radio) can clearly impact. Viewing figure for F1 dropped like a stone when it went from the BBC to C4, the same has applied here and not just on C4, BT Sport may have suffered as the event wasnt as visible this year as it was last year, and thats before you look at people using Kodi boxes, Mobdro etc etc....
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:Final Lakeside viewing figures

BT Sport

Every single session down quite a bit except the first one. In fact ignoring the 1st Sunday session where no comparison can be made, the totals have gone from 603k to 439k, or a 26% reduction.

Has the move from a 6pm start to a 7pm start dented the audience, or is this just mirroring the trend in all subscription sports seeing their viewership going down?

Channel 4

Only one session of darts charted in the Top 30. 30th place was 0.78m, so this is to be expected and also in line with how BBC ONE/TWO sessions used to chart.

Final - 1.02m

Added in with the BT sport figure for the final - 1,057,000 people watched the final, compared to 1,713,000 last year which at the time was the lowest figure.

BBC v ch4 is like comparing apples and oranges Ginge, bbc always gets more viewers, it's the way it is. Unless you think that 14million people will watch the great British bake off next year :MAD:
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Lakeside 2017 viewing figures

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:
Ginge wrote:Final Lakeside viewing figures

BT Sport

Channel 4

Final - 1.02m

BBC v ch4 is like comparing apples and oranges Ginge, bbc always gets more viewers, it's the way it is. Unless you think that 14million people will watch the great British bake off next year :MAD:
Of course not. I actually point out the BBC influence in a post I made earlier in thus very thread.

How about the BT figures then? Down quite a bit. The only session that went up was one that went from the secondary channel to the main channel and even then it only went up by about 3% You would have though a move to a better time slot would have helped. Evidently not.
Big Jock Knew
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

I just think there is growing apathy for live sport. Us as a family gave up Sky including Sky Sports at end of 2015. Prices are just too high especially when you have not received a pay rise for years but everything gets more expensive.

I get a BT log in from my dad as he has BTS1 free with his broadband. But that only gave 1 Lakeside session the others were on their pay channels. He cancels when the free with BT deal ends in August as won't pay.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

malcy93 wrote:I just think there is growing apathy for live sport. Us as a family gave up Sky including Sky Sports at end of 2015. Prices are just too high especially when you have not received a pay rise for years but everything gets more expensive.

I get a BT log in from my dad as he has BTS1 free with his broadband. But that only gave 1 Lakeside session the others were on their pay channels. He cancels when the free with BT deal ends in August as won't pay.
All the Lakeside sessions on BT this year were on the main channel. Only the semi final was on BTS2.
Big Jock Knew
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Ginge wrote:
malcy93 wrote:I just think there is growing apathy for live sport. Us as a family gave up Sky including Sky Sports at end of 2015. Prices are just too high especially when you have not received a pay rise for years but everything gets more expensive.

All the Lakeside sessions on BT this year were on the main channel. Only the semi final was on BTS2.
Damn I only checked end of week :(
Last year all were on BTS2 so did not bother.

Given you will have to pay for any of their coverage next year they can be more flexible in which channel to use as Sky can do.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

malcy93 wrote:
Ginge wrote:

Damn I only checked end of week :(
Last year all were on BTS2 so did not bother.

Given you will have to pay for any of their coverage next year they can be more flexible in which channel to use as Sky can do.
Last year they were all on BTS1 as well ;) well all except the first Saturday.

It's 2015 you are thinking of. That year they were all on BTS2. They even made one free to air that year I believe.
Big Jock Knew