Durrant/Bunting

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Peak Bunting vs Peak Durrant: who would win?

Peak Bunting (2013 Masters, 2014 Lakeside)
74%
Peak Durrant (2016 Masters, 2017 Lakeside)
26%

Total votes: 42

Addicks Fan
County Player

Re: Durrant/Bunting

Post by Addicks Fan »

Murphio wrote:
Moongoose McQueeen wrote:Averages are everything!
Strangely, Paddy has been using them a lot lately to back up his arguments. Only when it suits though. :DDD: Fact is - Bunting's form isnt really that much different from when he was winning stuff in the BDO.
In 26 matches in 2016, the Bullet hit just one 100+ average and 8 sub 90 averages, including one below 80
In 56 matches in 2013, he managed to hit 8 (2 for county) 100+ averages and 16 (4 for county) sub 90 averages.

So I would say that his A game at the BDO was far better than it is in the PDC at the moment, and his form reflects this
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Skewball wrote:and its also amusing that Ian White is higher in the rankings given that Ian was a particular case in point at the time :)

Rout wrote:
If you think Ian White and Stephen Bunting are on a par, you carry on pal. Set a reminder, and in two years time, lets revisit this thread and see which of the two of us looks utterly ridiculous.
Hahahahahahahahahaha
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Bunting isn't the player he was when he was king of the BDO. He will get it back there

Norris is a better player then Bunting at the moment
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

oche balboa wrote:Bunting isn't the player he was when he was king of the BDO. He will get it back there

Norris is a better player then Bunting at the moment
Agreed
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

BlueSpark wrote:
Skewball wrote:and its also amusing that Ian White is higher in the rankings given that Ian was a particular case in point at the time :)

Rout wrote:
If you think Ian White and Stephen Bunting are on a par, you carry on pal. Set a reminder, and in two years time, lets revisit this thread and see which of the two of us looks utterly ridiculous.
Hahahahahahahahahaha

:grin: :grin:
Rout
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Durrant/Bunting

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Yes that's right his form changed, if it had stayed what it was he would of been top three.
Cant agree with that. Top eight if he had maintained it? Yes. No way was, or indeed is, he better than all of MvG/Lewis/Anderson.
Which is pretty close to what I was suggesting at the time.

I apologise to those who cannot read for the fact they read it incorrectly. I'll try to write my posts in a way that makes it less easy for the illiterate to misunderstand them in future.

I also apologise for not having my crystal ball with me to predict bunting would change his darts after a year and go a bit shit as a result.
Last edited by Rout on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Durrant/Bunting

Post by Ginge »

Rout wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Yes that's right his form changed, if it had stayed what it was he would of been top three.
Cant agree with that. Top eight if he had maintained it? Yes. No way was, or indeed is, he better than all of MvG/Lewis/Anderson.

I apologise to those who cannot read for the fact they read it incorrectly. I'll try to write my posts in a way that makes it less easy for the illiterate to misunderstand them in future.
Ian White, eh?
Big Jock Knew
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

Rout wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:

I also apologise for not having my crystal ball with me to predict bunting would change his darts after a year and go a bit shit as a result.
Wasn't the question: future?
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Rout wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:

Ah of course, it's because he changed his darts.
Mystery solved.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

perhaps he got really really shit with his old darts in practice and moving to the new darts made him a little bit less shit.
If it want for the new darts perhaps he would not be top 32 and Rout would be even more wrong....

:)
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Changing his darts no doubt earned him a lot of money. If his form and performances then deteriorated because of it, tough titties.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

BlueSpark wrote:
Rout wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:

Ah of course, it's because he changed his darts.
Mystery solved.
And to add - Ian White's form is nowhere near where it was when I posted what I did. It has nosedived - and he is still five places (over 80k) ahead of Bunting in the OOM. Back then, according to Rout, top 16 was apparently an 'insult' for Bunting. Like I said a few years back, Bunting is a good player and top 10 is still not unrealistic. But some of the hyperbole posted back then – that there was only two or three players in the world 'definitely' better than Bunting - has been shown to be utter keech.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
oche balboa wrote:Durrant would get into the top 32 in the first year. he is hardly shite
Think you underestimate what it would take to be Top 32 in a player's 1st year, given the OOM is based on a 2 year cycle, and any newcomer will be unseeded in all floor tournaments, which form the basis of qualification for the televised events from the Pro Tour and European OOM.

Do not think for a minute that Durrant is anything other than a very good player, who could potentially do well in the PDC, but given the criteria I have alluded to, it will be incredibly difficult for any 1st year player, to finish in the Top 32, at the end of their debutant year in the PDC.
Bunting was seeded 27th in his first PDC Worlds after about 11 months on the circuit and missing the first weekend (and qualifiers for first 2 Euro Tours).
Crikey even Ginge is having to educate the blinkered.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

It is of course entirely possible that Stephen Buntings current form three years since winning lakeside isn't as relevant now as it was then.

Form. A concept the number crunchers and stat men don't seem to understand.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Rout wrote:It is of course entirely possible that Stephen Buntings current form three years since winning lakeside isn't as relevant now as it was then.

You think it's possible that maybe, just maybe, you went a little overboard with your estimation of Bunting? That his averages in winning Lakeside (bar a second round 100) of 90, 91, 93 and 96 (in the final) was always going to see him around the top 16 mark without really threatening to win PDC TV events and break into the top five or 10? (I know, obsessed with averages, yawn). You stated there was only two (or three at a push) players in the world definitely better than Bunting at that juncture. Of course, you will hide behind the world 'definitely' and point out his form isn't quite what it was. I assert now though as I did three years ago that your fawning over Bunting was way over the top.
Rout
International

Re: RE: Re: Durrant/Bunting

Post by Rout »

Murphio wrote:
Rout wrote:It is of course entirely possible that Stephen Buntings current form three years since winning lakeside isn't as relevant now as it was then.

You think it's possible that maybe, just maybe, you went a little overboard with your estimation of Bunting? That his averages in winning Lakeside (bar a second round 100) of 90, 91, 93 and 96 (in the final) was always going to see him around the top 16 mark without really threatening to win PDC TV events and break into the top five or 10? (I know, obsessed with averages, yawn). You stated there was only two (or three at a push) players in the world definitely better than Bunting at that juncture. Of course, you will hide behind the world 'definitely' and point out his form isn't quite what it was. I assert now though as I did three years ago that your fawning over Bunting was way over the top.
Possibly yes of course. But he showed in his first year that he could mix it with anyone outside the TV elite which is all I said to begin with. God knows what's possessed him to persevere with these new darts and even when he changes back it'll be a struggle to get back to there.

But the point about form 3 years ago is valid.

At one point Wes Newton had a claim to be one of the best players in the world outside the elite handful. If I tried to use a recent result to rebuke that claim you would laugh at me. His downfall happened in less than a year.

Bunting was a much better player 3 years ago than he was now. He's trying a bit too hard I think but I'm confident he will ascend back up at some point.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Basgooner
County Player

Post by Basgooner »

The problem with this poll

At the time Bunting won Lakeside etc, he regularly averaged around 100

But since then he has gained a significant technical flaw In his game, where he tries to push the light darts he uses to hard

His ability hasn't waned , but technically and mentally he is a poorer player

Technically Durrant 's throw isn't ideal, but the mental side will alleviate that