Durrant/Bunting

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Peak Bunting vs Peak Durrant: who would win?

Peak Bunting (2013 Masters, 2014 Lakeside)
74%
Peak Durrant (2016 Masters, 2017 Lakeside)
26%

Total votes: 42

ssjsa
International

Re: Durrant/Bunting

Post by ssjsa »

For me Bunting had an incredible first year in the PDC, and personally don't think Glen would have been as successful in his debut year had he switched.

Still think Bunting has massive scope to move up the PDC rankings over the 2017 season, and I still believe, at some point he will enter the Top 10 on the OOM.

Going forward, if any debutant manages to crack the Top 32, in their first season they will have done very well.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

ifm wrote:Hmmmm, let's ask a forum with a well known anti bdo reputation who is the better player, a pdc guy or a bdo one, I wonder what the answers will be.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Who do you think the better player was/is?
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Col wrote:
ifm wrote:Hmmmm, let's ask a forum with a well known anti bdo reputation who is the better player, a pdc guy or a bdo one, I wonder what the answers will be.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Who do you think the better player was/is?
Don't interrupt him when he is prizing the lid of a conspiracy.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Durrant would get into the top 32 in the first year. he is hardly shite
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Si Robin
Pub Champion

Post by Si Robin »

I thought Bunting was going to be something a bit special when he won in 2014, and his first year seemed to show that. His change of darts seems to have completely thrown him, but he's still young and can easily find the form again and maybe even get better.

Duzza, despite being class, seems to be at his absolute peak in my mind and whilst I think he could make the top 16, I don't think he'd be able to stay there for too long before dropping back a bit.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

oche balboa wrote:Durrant would get into the top 32 in the first year. he is hardly shite
Think you underestimate what it would take to be Top 32 in a player's 1st year, given the OOM is based on a 2 year cycle, and any newcomer will be unseeded in all floor tournaments, which form the basis of qualification for the televised events from the Pro Tour and European OOM.

Do not think for a minute that Durrant is anything other than a very good player, who could potentially do well in the PDC, but given the criteria I have alluded to, it will be incredibly difficult for any 1st year player, to finish in the Top 32, at the end of their debutant year in the PDC.

Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Durrant/Bunting

Post by Ginge »

ssjsa wrote:
oche balboa wrote:Durrant would get into the top 32 in the first year. he is hardly shite
Think you underestimate what it would take to be Top 32 in a player's 1st year, given the OOM is based on a 2 year cycle, and any newcomer will be unseeded in all floor tournaments, which form the basis of qualification for the televised events from the Pro Tour and European OOM.

Do not think for a minute that Durrant is anything other than a very good player, who could potentially do well in the PDC, but given the criteria I have alluded to, it will be incredibly difficult for any 1st year player, to finish in the Top 32, at the end of their debutant year in the PDC.
Bunting was seeded 27th in his first PDC Worlds after about 11 months on the circuit and missing the first weekend (and qualifiers for first 2 Euro Tours).
Big Jock Knew
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

With a few decent draws and qualifying for the euros and duzza would easy make the top 32 in his first year.

Easy peasy.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

I'd say Bunting at his peak would beat Durrant at his peak.....but I think both at peak were/are very good...

Bunting at his real BDO peak was superb...I don't think he matched that even when reaching the top 16 in the PDC...with that form he should be a top 10 and Premier League player...

Durrant I feel is far better than the player who just won Lakeside..yet he still won....I think he's got more gears than that...and of course he'd be top 32 in PDC....and top 16 as well...far better than Alan Norris and Ian White in my opinion...

But Bunting for me at their peaks...even though some on Fanatics still maintain he's done nothing in the PDC and might regret switching !
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Ginge wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

Bunting was seeded 27th in his first PDC Worlds after about 11 months on the circuit and missing the first weekend (and qualifiers for first 2 Euro Tours).
I have already posted that Bunting had a fantastic 1st year in the PDC, and didn't think Glen could replicate his initial success.

Bunting winning an event in the infancy of his PDC career, was a phenomenal achievement, and the primary factor in him amassing sufficient winnings to qualify for the tv tournaments, which saw him perform really well and gain entry into the Top 32 prior to the W/C.

The point I am making, is that, going forward, given the seedings at the qualification events, I can't see any debutant finishing their 1st year in the Top 32 in the forseeable future.

Ps- Open you inbox hun x

Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

phil davies wrote:
Col wrote:With a few decent draws and qualifying for the euros and duzza would easy make the top 32 in his first year.

Easy peasy.
Have to disagree with that IMO he is nowhere close to as good as Bunting was when he switched think he would do well to be in the top 25 after 2 years never mind top 32 in one year
'Nowhere close' - that is a bit of a stretch. Bunting maybe has/would have had the edge but I wouldn't say that.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Col wrote:With a few decent draws and qualifying for the euros and duzza would easy make the top 32 in his first year.

Easy peasy.
Looked back ACF's OOM rankings posted following the conclusion of the PDC World Championships and Darren Webster was 32nd, with earnings of just under 108k. Do you honestly think that Glen would have earned anywhere near that in 1 year, if he had decided to switch ?

26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

Duzza would be around 45-50 in my opinion after his first year, maybe even worse, if we consider he won't play many TV events.
Somewhere around 20-25 after his second year.
In the third year, where the first year's earnings come off, I'd expect him to get close, or even break into the top 16.
Can't ever see him in top 10.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

ssjsa wrote:

Easy peasy.
Looked back ACF's OOM rankings posted following the conclusion of the PDC World Championships and Darren Webster was 32nd, with earnings of just under 108k. Do you honestly think that Glen would have earned anywhere near that in 1 year, if he had decided to switch ?
If what I suggested came to fruition, then yes quite easily in my opinion.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

phil davies wrote:
Murphio wrote:
phil davies wrote:

Easy peasy.
Have to disagree with that IMO he is nowhere close to as good as Bunting was when he switched think he would do well to be in the top 25 after 2 years never mind top 32 in one year
'Nowhere close' - that is a bit of a stretch. Bunting maybe has/would have had the edge but I wouldn't say that.
Bunting could handle pressure being applied to him I think Glen would go out early in a lot of pro tour events a lot more good players and very few easy matches like you might get in the big BDO open tournaments. Don't get me wrong a good player but he is being way to hyped by some people IMO. Hogan should have put him out of the Lakeside aswell and then I doubt many would have been making him out to be this top 16 PDC player that some are suggesting.
I'm pretty sure all the best players have survived match darts at some point in their careers.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

ChrisW wrote:
phil davies wrote:
Murphio wrote:
phil davies wrote:

Easy peasy.
Bunting could handle pressure being applied to him I think Glen would go out early in a lot of pro tour events a lot more good players and very few easy matches like you might get in the big BDO open tournaments. Don't get me wrong a good player but he is being way to hyped by some people IMO. Hogan should have put him out of the Lakeside aswell and then I doubt many would have been making him out to be this top 16 PDC player that some are suggesting.
I'm pretty sure all the best players have survived match darts at some point in their careers.
Mike Gregory....
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
neil rose
Steady Sixties

Post by neil rose »

I think Durrant is the better player , seems to me most on here are basing their opinions on this Lakeside where Glen played well below par and still managed to win it with his B game , he's a phenomenal floor player and the more often he'd get to play on the TV the better he'd get ...outside the Top 5/6 imo there's nobody that is much if any better
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

neil rose wrote:I think Durrant is the better player , seems to me most on here are basing their opinions on this Lakeside where Glen played well below par and still managed to win it with his B game , he's a phenomenal floor player and the more often he'd get to play on the TV the better he'd get ...outside the Top 5/6 imo there's nobody that is much if any better
:DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

neil rose wrote:I think Durrant is the better player , seems to me most on here are basing their opinions on this Lakeside where Glen played well below par and still managed to win it with his B game , he's a phenomenal floor player and the more often he'd get to play on the TV the better he'd get ...outside the Top 5/6 imo there's nobody that is much if any better
You do realise that now you've said that, in 3 years time when Glen loses 6-5 to some other pdc player in players championship 16 gazmong will follow you round claiming you said that Durrant was the 6th best player in the world?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Rout wrote:
You do realise that now you've said that, in 3 years time when Glen loses 6-5 to some other pdc player in players championship 16 gazmong will follow you round claiming you said that Durrant was the 6th best player in the world?
Ah yes, the famous 'Stephen Bunting' topic on here from around 2014 when he crossed over and you said that it was an 'insult' to suggest Bunting was not top 16 :)

I may go back and have a look at that for a laugh at some point

(not that you were necessary wrong given the way he was playing but it is entertaining that you were so certain about it and the fact that he not top 16 is a little amusing :)