BDO World Darts Trophy 2017

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Will the WDT 2017 be on telly or streamed?

Telly
18%
Streamed
42%
Neither
24%
Don't know
16%

Total votes: 45

ChrisW
International

Re: BDO World Darts Trophy 2017

Post by ChrisW »

Congrats on reaching 45,000 posts Ginge.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: BDO World Darts Trophy 2017

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote:Congrats on reaching 45,000 posts Ginge.
What do you think of the venue quandary the BDO find themselves in?
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Whoosh.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Now Whinge wants to debate after 45,000 posts :-)
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

"Answer me a question, why is the location of a darts competition of such importance to you?" Quote ifm to me:

it's not of such importance. Don't get this question.

This is a darts forum. I like watching (live and on tv) darts and playing (at home only: highest checkout 160, best leg 15 darts, my 'A' game is a 45- 50 average).

I enjoy this forum, reading and at times contributing. I was a reader only for for ages but decided to start posting. It adds to my enjoyment of darts and adds a degree of pleasure to my life.

is it vital? No. More important things on life? Of course.

But ginge brings up about lakeside and the wdt. I add my opinion. I lije the 'political' aspect of dar ts. Surely this is what we want: debate, opinions and yes at times a bit of banter.

only post here (and fb fantics). It's still the best imo.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
simonbals
Steady Sixties

Post by simonbals »

Ginge wrote:What do other people think of the venue quandary the BDO find themselves in?

Let's have a decent debate without any insults or moaning! Even Rout managed it earlier with a decent post on the subject so it would be great to hear other people's views.

I think is the decision of an organization which doesn't have any short/middle/long period business strategy and is just trying to survive.

I also think that given the ineptitude of the board this is probably the best option for the BDO. It will cost a lot less than other venue, the tv production, if any, could benefit, and is probably easier to sell, a small amount, of tickets at Lakeside that anywhere else with such short notice.

If the ticket is not too expensive and I find the courage to watch all that ladies matches, I could go for the final day.
Si Robin
Pub Champion

Post by Si Robin »

Firstly getting the WDT on at all, and on TV, I think are paramount here, and if it has to be at Lakeside, then so be it. I agree with Paul, the WDT at Lakeside is not too bad, it's far enough either side of the World's to not seem too convoluted. Where it looks worse is with the Masters being at Lakeside so close to the Worlds.

On the other hand, it appears the BDO has forgotten that there is a whole country outside of the small part of Surrey. It's not particularly easy to get to, and whilst I loved my day out at Lakeside last May, my mates (like to play, only came for a day out) weren't impressed in the slightest by the food, drink or length of session. Correct me if I'm wrong Devo, but you live in the North West and attended the first two WDTs for that reason, this alone is an example of why they can't keep using Lakeside for all 3 majors. Ginge has pointed out some of the venues they used to use for the Premier League when it first started up, and this size of venue would be perfect for the WDT and the Masters.

For some reason, the BDO seems to want to maintain this belief that they are the face of darts still and are going to flog the hell out of the home of darts whilst they still can. Sadly (for me personally), the modern face of darts is the PDC and the BDO/WDF side now needs to accept it's place (I note Paul, H and Tommy Thompson seem to say this quite a lot recently).

It should, in my view, start properly selling itself as the grass-roots of darts. Yes, the motto is darts for all, well then sell that. Sell the fact that by entering the opens around Britain and Europe, or by playing Super League/County you can get into events such as the WDT, World Masters and Lakeside and give you proper stage experience. That you can test yourself against World Class players before going onto the Professional ranks if that's where you see yourself. You, the man watching this on the telly, can become a World Champion.

Not only that, but advertise the tournaments as such to potential ticket buyers. I've said before I class the PDC as the Premier League, and the BDO as the EFL/National League. The EFL and National League know their place in English football (although the EFL are trying their best to do the fans over with the Checkatrade Trophy) and they market themselves accordingly. Sell the fact that the averages may well be likely in the 80s/90s, but you will see the odd 100 avg, and the games will tend to be closer than MVG tearing the rest of the darting World a new one. When the BDO starts doing this, then they can move forward rather than stumbling from one tournament to the next with stupidly late announcements about TV and venues being seen as massive coups.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Si Robin wrote:Firstly getting the WDT on at all, and on TV, I think are paramount here, and if it has to be at Lakeside, then so be it. I agree with Paul, the WDT at Lakeside is not too bad, it's far enough either side of the World's to not seem too convoluted. Where it looks worse is with the Masters being at Lakeside so close to the Worlds.

On the other hand, it appears the BDO has forgotten that there is a whole country outside of the small part of Surrey. It's not particularly easy to get to, and whilst I loved my day out at Lakeside last May, my mates (like to play, only came for a day out) weren't impressed in the slightest by the food, drink or length of session. Correct me if I'm wrong Devo, but you live in the North West and attended the first two WDTs for that reason, this alone is an example of why they can't keep using Lakeside for all 3 majors. Ginge has pointed out some of the venues they used to use for the Premier League when it first started up, and this size of venue would be perfect for the WDT and the Masters.

For some reason, the BDO seems to want to maintain this belief that they are the face of darts still and are going to flog the hell out of the home of darts whilst they still can. Sadly (for me personally), the modern face of darts is the PDC and the BDO/WDF side now needs to accept it's place (I note Paul, H and Tommy Thompson seem to say this quite a lot recently).

It should, in my view, start properly selling itself as the grass-roots of darts. Yes, the motto is darts for all, well then sell that. Sell the fact that by entering the opens around Britain and Europe, or by playing Super League/County you can get into events such as the WDT, World Masters and Lakeside and give you proper stage experience. That you can test yourself against World Class players before going onto the Professional ranks if that's where you see yourself. You, the man watching this on the telly, can become a World Champion.

Not only that, but advertise the tournaments as such to potential ticket buyers. I've said before I class the PDC as the Premier League, and the BDO as the EFL/National League. The EFL and National League know their place in English football (although the EFL are trying their best to do the fans over with the Checkatrade Trophy) and they market themselves accordingly. Sell the fact that the averages may well be likely in the 80s/90s, but you will see the odd 100 avg, and the games will tend to be closer than MVG tearing the rest of the darting World a new one. When the BDO starts doing this, then they can move forward rather than stumbling from one tournament to the next with stupidly late announcements about TV and venues being seen as massive coups.

simonbals wrote:
I think is the decision of an organization which doesn't have any short/middle/long period business strategy and is just trying to survive.

I also think that given the ineptitude of the board this is probably the best option for the BDO. It will cost a lot less than other venue, the tv production, if any, could benefit, and is probably easier to sell, a small amount, of tickets at Lakeside that anywhere else with such short notice.

If the ticket is not too expensive and I find the courage to watch all that ladies matches, I could go for the final day.
Two cracking posts. Can't argue with much in them

They can clearly afford to hire venues and know other areas of the country exist as they have hired Magna in Rotherham for 2 events in the summer. Although they have used there before.

Why they haven't named the venue yet is beyond me. Less than 9.5 weeks to sell tickets, they clearly don't help themselvee.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

How come you are suddenly becoming a forum discussion moderator. Slap on the wrist?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote:How come you are suddenly becoming a forum discussion moderator. Slap on the wrist?
Not yet!
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Si Robin: correct. The reason I went to the 1st 2 wdt (apart from free tickets!) Was that they were in the north west. I went to the UK open at bolton:same reason. Went to the gold cup at events city Manchester because it was 'up here'.

Spread the comps around a bit.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

devosteve wrote:Si Robin: correct. The reason I went to the 1st 2 wdt (apart from free tickets!) Was that they were in the north west. I went to the UK open at bolton:same reason. Went to the gold cup at events city Manchester because it was 'up here'.

On this forum I don't know anyone who has been to more non Lakeside BDO events than you Devo.
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

ifm wrote:
devosteve wrote:so ifm do you think Fitton is wrong? Do you actually believe it doesn't matter at all that it is at lakeside again?

I don't think it is good for the BDO to keep having different comps at lakeside. You think it is ok. Just interested in your reason because I think it is clear that is isn't great (though I am open to be shown that I am wrong with good debate without insults: which was once the strength of this forum).
I have already answered but you seem to choose to ignore, i'll recap:

No, it matters not one jot where the competition is held as long as it happens, the only people that should have any concern are those that actually attend or wish to attend, it affects them.
Sad acts on internet forums who hate the bdo are the ones that think it is a bad thing but that is because they didn't get their wish for it to be cancelled and have now moved on to the next thing to whine about.
Is it taking the prestige from lakeside? yes it is a bit but the alternative is much more damaging.

Answer me a question, why is the location of a darts competition of such importance to you?
Is a darts forum you absolute Penis Bubble(if you want to sling shite) You actually haven't got a clue whats going on and are heading down the sad sack route, your the biggest troll out there and i'd say stay away from shite you know nothing or can't contribute to. I'd advise you to slow down your posting as when the depression hits(because you now realise you aren't indestructible,with the old heart) you aint gonna stand a chance.
Now hop on you useless waste of internet ether.
Sod answering your question cos its already been answered. :grin:
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Wubbalubbadubdub wrote:
ifm wrote:
devosteve wrote:so ifm do you think Fitton is wrong? Do you actually believe it doesn't matter at all that it is at lakeside again?

I don't think it is good for the BDO to keep having different comps at lakeside. You think it is ok. Just interested in your reason because I think it is clear that is isn't great (though I am open to be shown that I am wrong with good debate without insults: which was once the strength of this forum).

No, it matters not one jot where the competition is held as long as it happens, the only people that should have any concern are those that actually attend or wish to attend, it affects them.
Sad acts on internet forums who hate the bdo are the ones that think it is a bad thing but that is because they didn't get their wish for it to be cancelled and have now moved on to the next thing to whine about.
Is it taking the prestige from lakeside? yes it is a bit but the alternative is much more damaging.

Answer me a question, why is the location of a darts competition of such importance to you?
Is a darts forum you absolute Penis Bubble(if you want to sling shite) You actually haven't got a clue whats going on and are heading down the sad sack route, your the biggest troll out there and i'd say stay away from shite you know nothing or can't contribute to. I'd advise you to slow down your posting as when the depression hits(because you now realise you aren't indestructible,with the old heart) you aint gonna stand a chance.
Wow!
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

ChrisW wrote:
devosteve wrote:Si Robin: correct. The reason I went to the 1st 2 wdt (apart from free tickets!) Was that they were in the north west. I went to the UK open at bolton:same reason. Went to the gold cup at events city Manchester because it was 'up here'.

On this forum I don't know anyone who has been to more non Lakeside BDO events than you Devo.
Oche is a favourite. I had a 'devo' sign at wdt Manchester and I saw him looking at it. I had to introduce myself to him. Also big David Owen was there. If ifm was there he didn't say hello.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote:

I couldn't care less if the BDO decides to host the World Championship at Spearmint Rhino. But if we are discussing the welfare of the various darts orgs then it hardly helps to have all your eggs in one basket, does it? What happens when they don't have Potter to keep bailing them out? And why is that happening - aren't they capable of staging events elsewhere? And why are you trying to stifle debate on a darts forum about an issue which is clearly topical re one of the major darts orgs?
Comps have been moved to lakeside at short notice, that's great that they have the option to do that, we have no idea that this is at lakeside btw, just someone phoned the booking office and it is booked.
They obviously can stage comps elsewhere and actually do week in, week out but lets ignore that eh?
I really don't see this as an issue at all, the haters do because it gives them a platform to whinge and throw accusations.
You don't see it an issue; fine. You have given your input and if you aren't interested in discussing this non issue any further then why not leave the topic for those who do? In case you have forgotten - in between your pontificating, whataboutery, trolling and general fuckwittery - this is a darts forum. Maybe people want to discuss issues related to darts.
No its not, IFM stated last night that the only discussion on here is by experts giving out their expert knowledge on the subject.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Wubbalubbadubdub wrote:
ifm wrote:

Another dickhead got his cheque today i see.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

And on he goes. The pressure on those stents must be incredible.
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ifm wrote: I have already answered but you seem to choose to ignore, i'll recap:

I couldn't care less if the BDO decides to host the World Championship at Spearmint Rhino. But if we are discussing the welfare of the various darts orgs then it hardly helps to have all your eggs in one basket, does it? What happens when they don't have Potter to keep bailing them out? And why is that happening - aren't they capable of staging events elsewhere? And why are you trying to stifle debate on a darts forum about an issue which is clearly topical re one of the major darts orgs?
Comps have been moved to lakeside at short notice, that's great that they have the option to do that, we have no idea that this is at lakeside btw, just someone phoned the booking office and it is booked.
They obviously can stage comps elsewhere and actually do week in, week out but lets ignore that eh?
I really don't see this as an issue at all, the haters do because it gives them a platform to whinge and throw accusations.
You don't see it an issue; fine. You have given your input and if you aren't interested in discussing this non issue any further then why not leave the topic for those who do? In case you have forgotten - in between your pontificating, whataboutery, trolling and general fuckwittery - this is a darts forum. Maybe people want to discuss issues related to darts.
No its not, IFM stated last night that the only discussion on here is by experts giving out their expert knowledge on the subject.
No, try not to invent things dear, i said i was glad to have experts on freeview tv to which you stated it was your hobby (being an expert on freeview tv), so it was you, i just pointed it out ;-)

Madsocks
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:And on he goes. The pressure on those stents must be incredible.
Just responding in kind to the morons as i always do.

Madsocks