Jersey on the brink?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Little Lonely Garry
International

Re: Jersey on the brink?

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

WCDPA wrote:Expect an announcement shortly .

^^^

An announcement of an announcement, where in the end the supposed announcement that was announced to be coming soon never comes.

What a surprise
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
The Knowledge
The Ton Club

Post by The Knowledge »

devosteve wrote:
ChrisW wrote:Bump
I read all previous post before I realised a story from last year!

But have read posts that H is no longer continuing with this.

One point he does make is local players didn't support it!
Good news. The calendar is too congested.
You can all have my word now, it's never been our intention to take over the BDO, we have no intention of taking over the BDO,
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

The Knowledge wrote:
devosteve wrote:
ChrisW wrote:Bump
I read all previous post before I realised a story from last year!

But have read posts that H is no longer continuing with this.

One point he does make is local players didn't support it!
Good news. The calendar is too congested.
Is dat a fact?
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
RE: 2018 JERSEY FESTIVAL

It is with a really heavy heart that I have to announce that I will no longer be promoting this years Jersey festival of Darts.

I have been doing so for five years now and with my friends at JDO's have, we believe, have managed to organise one of the most friendliest events in the BDO calender.

We never set out to be the biggest event of the year, and with the infra structure of the venue and restrictions on space, we could never be a Scottish, Welsh IOM or English Open, but that didn't bother us.

Our only ambition, our only objective was to create a festival where those who came, left having had a good time- a great time, and in that respect we all feel we unreservedly triumphed.

But that was perhaps our downfall as clearly, even with attendees remaining constant, we had almost as many go over just for the craic as they did to play. That was brilliant but when it came to balancing a P&L sheet, the figures because of it, just didn't stack up, so it with great reluctance that I make such an announcement, an announcement I have wrestled with for months.

We take a lot of pride in knowing that with 150/170 people every year, we still managed to pay out £90,000+ of guaranteed prize money in five years, and during which we had some great sponsors, some great followers and some bloody great times.

That said, and looking back over the past five festivals, I think that collectively we can take even more pride, knowing that what we accomplished was achieved by having to constantly hurdle and overcome a litany of obstacles, surreptitious and direct interference thrown our way by some on the BDO board, which in truth was and remains truly unprecedented and made their actions in the IOM some two and half years ago, appear polite and above board, and all of which are thankfully well documented.

Look, seeing the general maliase in our side of the game at the moment is as heartbreaking as seeing so many of our disciples leave for pastures PDC, many of whom were regulars at Jersey, and whilst I personally thank them for their previous patronage it undoubtedly leaves another hole to fill.

I would have made this announcement months ago and the only reason I didn't, was because I was, perhaps naively, clinging onto the hope that things would change, clinging onto the hope that something positive would happen, well I don't know about you guys, and am certainly not trying to speak on behalf of the people reading this, but I just cant see it.

Big events, like the ones mentioned above will not be affected by the state of our current disarray and turmoil, but I think small events like ours most certainly will, and it makes no commercial, nor logical sense in me keep underwriting things, in the hope, blind hope, that we (our system) and everything on the periphery of our system will suddenly get better.

God I hope I am wrong, but it's a chance I am no longer prepared to take.

Can it be salvaged?

Anything is possible, and I really hope my dear friends at the JDO can find a benefactor to allow them to do just that, especially after all the hard work we have collectively put in, but when, as happened last year, even the local players swerved entering, it doesn't give rise to too much optimism does it, but no doubt the JDO will shortly make their official announcement.

On a personal note I would like to publicly thank so many people, particularly everyone at the JDO, Martyn, Marie, Mike, Amanda and especially Stuey Moon (who single handidly kept me sane at times these past five years) for all their hard work and efforts.

Our truly wonderful sponsors, Gary Plummer at Target (before the BDO made us change boards and lose their sponsorship) Dave and Eirian at one80 darts who jumped into the brink thereafter, but particularly Wayne Taylor, MD at Darts Corner whose support since day one has been more than exceptional, in fact without him, there would have been no Festival to start with.

Would also like to publicly thank Des an Paula Jacklin for some amazing support in our formative years, Paul Brown for bringing over the lunatics from COLDA, and more so Caroline's even bigger lunatics from Guernsey, who am sure most would agree absolutely encapsulated everything good, everything positive about the Festival, and I so hope we can do something in the future as you guys are realm stars.

It would also be inexcusable for me to forget the contribution and logistical help given by the EDO and their officials, Jean, Tommy, and the bossy top table matriarchs, more commonly referred to as Dawn and Liz, and of course the indefatigable Vic Sexton who never ceases to amaze me, and last but not least Paul James who for fives years has always been the one person who I could sound off at, run things by and seek out for ideas from, thank you so much people.

Lastly I would like to thank everyone that over the past five years has attended the Festival and helped make the event so enjoyable to be a part of, I can't begin to tell you how much your support meant.

Highlights?

Two probably. The first one, following the atrocities in Paris, when the entire hotel stopped for two minutes silence, that really was a truly moving moment, and the other, ironically in the year where we actually made money when after I negotiated personally with, then got the Eurosport Int cameras down to televise the entire finals night, which attracted (and I have the email from the programme director to prove the point) a staggering 3 Million people worldwide, nearly twice the audience of the PDC WC, now that is a little claim to fame to be proud of.

H
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Garry Murphy wrote:
WCDPA wrote:Expect an announcement shortly .

^^^

An announcement of an announcement, where in the end the supposed announcement that was announced to be coming soon never comes.

What a surprise
:DDD:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I like the bit at the end of his opus where he compares a worldwide viewing figure to that of a British one. What a wally.
Last edited by Ginge on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Jock Knew
The Knowledge
The Ton Club

Post by The Knowledge »

John Boy Walton predicted this and was ridiculed. Who's laughing now?
You can all have my word now, it's never been our intention to take over the BDO, we have no intention of taking over the BDO,
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:I like the bit at the end of his opus where he compares a worldwide viewing figure to that of a British one. What a wally.
Two things, firstly you read all of that??
Secondly, the Jersey open got more viewers than the PDC WC :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:
I think you'll be hearing that little fact again :grin:
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The sky is usually yellow.
I think you will be hearing that fact again also.
Big Jock Knew
The Knowledge
The Ton Club

Post by The Knowledge »

The Jersey Open that gets more viewers than the PDC World Championships but has just been scrapped because it's not financially viable LOL. The promoter should hang his head in shame.
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

The Knowledge wrote:The Jersey Open that gets more viewers than the PDC World Championships but has just been scrapped because it's not financially viable LOL. The promoter should hang his head in shame.
And, one has to ask why, with such a large audience, darts is a rare sight on Eurosport?
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

markymark wrote:
The Knowledge wrote:The Jersey Open that gets more viewers than the PDC World Championships but has just been scrapped because it's not financially viable LOL. The promoter should hang his head in shame.
And, one has to ask why, with such a large audience, darts is a rare sight on Eurosport?
I'm sure Whinge can answer that :DDD:
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

markymark wrote:
Because people involved in running darts on that side of darts are generally clueless.
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:
markymark wrote:
Because people involved in running darts on that side of darts are generally clueless.
And now i'm influencing his answers :grin:

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Oh dear.
Big Jock Knew
The Knowledge
The Ton Club

Post by The Knowledge »

Is this ifm bloke altogether there mentally?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The Knowledge wrote:Is this ifm bloke altogether there mentally?
Must be, he genuinely believes the 2016 (or was it 2015?) Jersey Open final had twice more viewers than the World Championship...
Big Jock Knew
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

we learned from pauley that when he says "shortly" that will mean a whole month.
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

I think you are the unbalanced one judging on your df posting.

Madsocks
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:
Must be, he genuinely believes the 2016 (or was it 2015?) Jersey Open final had twice more viewers than the World Championship...
Factoid.

Madsocks