Re: Jersey on the brink?

Post by Ginge »

Fake news.
Big Jock Knew
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

The Knowledge wrote:Is this ifm bloke altogether there mentally?

He has decided who you are already

He believes he is never wrong and the mods have some sort of vendetta against him.

If your opinion differs from his expect to be labeled a troll.
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Garry Murphy wrote:
The Knowledge wrote:Is this ifm bloke altogether there mentally?

He has decided who you are already

He believes he is never wrong and the mods have some sort of vendetta against him.

If your opinion differs from his expect to be labeled a troll.
It is your minion Lister.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

I would say its more likely to be dartsfacts.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Nick you killjoy :D
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Good decision from Nikki
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Promoter gets criticised for trying to earn a living shock!!!
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

foggs3355 wrote:IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
RE: 2018 JERSEY FESTIVAL

It is with a really heavy heart that I have to announce that I will no longer be promoting this years Jersey festival of Darts.

I have been doing so for five years now and with my friends at JDO's have, we believe, have managed to organise one of the most friendliest events in the BDO calender.

We never set out to be the biggest event of the year, and with the infra structure of the venue and restrictions on space, we could never be a Scottish, Welsh IOM or English Open, but that didn't bother us.

Our only ambition, our only objective was to create a festival where those who came, left having had a good time- a great time, and in that respect we all feel we unreservedly triumphed.

But that was perhaps our downfall as clearly, even with attendees remaining constant, we had almost as many go over just for the craic as they did to play. That was brilliant but when it came to balancing a P&L sheet, the figures because of it, just didn't stack up, so it with great reluctance that I make such an announcement, an announcement I have wrestled with for months.

We take a lot of pride in knowing that with 150/170 people every year, we still managed to pay out £90,000+ of guaranteed prize money in five years, and during which we had some great sponsors, some great followers and some bloody great times.

That said, and looking back over the past five festivals, I think that collectively we can take even more pride, knowing that what we accomplished was achieved by having to constantly hurdle and overcome a litany of obstacles, surreptitious and direct interference thrown our way by some on the BDO board, which in truth was and remains truly unprecedented and made their actions in the IOM some two and half years ago, appear polite and above board, and all of which are thankfully well documented.

Look, seeing the general maliase in our side of the game at the moment is as heartbreaking as seeing so many of our disciples leave for pastures PDC, many of whom were regulars at Jersey, and whilst I personally thank them for their previous patronage it undoubtedly leaves another hole to fill.

I would have made this announcement months ago and the only reason I didn't, was because I was, perhaps naively, clinging onto the hope that things would change, clinging onto the hope that something positive would happen, well I don't know about you guys, and am certainly not trying to speak on behalf of the people reading this, but I just cant see it.

Big events, like the ones mentioned above will not be affected by the state of our current disarray and turmoil, but I think small events like ours most certainly will, and it makes no commercial, nor logical sense in me keep underwriting things, in the hope, blind hope, that we (our system) and everything on the periphery of our system will suddenly get better.

God I hope I am wrong, but it's a chance I am no longer prepared to take.

Can it be salvaged?

Anything is possible, and I really hope my dear friends at the JDO can find a benefactor to allow them to do just that, especially after all the hard work we have collectively put in, but when, as happened last year, even the local players swerved entering, it doesn't give rise to too much optimism does it, but no doubt the JDO will shortly make their official announcement.

On a personal note I would like to publicly thank so many people, particularly everyone at the JDO, Martyn, Marie, Mike, Amanda and especially Stuey Moon (who single handidly kept me sane at times these past five years) for all their hard work and efforts.

Our truly wonderful sponsors, Gary Plummer at Target (before the BDO made us change boards and lose their sponsorship) Dave and Eirian at one80 darts who jumped into the brink thereafter, but particularly Wayne Taylor, MD at Darts Corner whose support since day one has been more than exceptional, in fact without him, there would have been no Festival to start with.

Would also like to publicly thank Des an Paula Jacklin for some amazing support in our formative years, Paul Brown for bringing over the lunatics from COLDA, and more so Caroline's even bigger lunatics from Guernsey, who am sure most would agree absolutely encapsulated everything good, everything positive about the Festival, and I so hope we can do something in the future as you guys are realm stars.

It would also be inexcusable for me to forget the contribution and logistical help given by the EDO and their officials, Jean, Tommy, and the bossy top table matriarchs, more commonly referred to as Dawn and Liz, and of course the indefatigable Vic Sexton who never ceases to amaze me, and last but not least Paul James who for fives years has always been the one person who I could sound off at, run things by and seek out for ideas from, thank you so much people.

Lastly I would like to thank everyone that over the past five years has attended the Festival and helped make the event so enjoyable to be a part of, I can't begin to tell you how much your support meant.

Highlights?

Two probably. The first one, following the atrocities in Paris, when the entire hotel stopped for two minutes silence, that really was a truly moving moment, and the other, ironically in the year where we actually made money when after I negotiated personally with, then got the Eurosport Int cameras down to televise the entire finals night, which attracted (and I have the email from the programme director to prove the point) a staggering 3 Million people worldwide, nearly twice the audience of the PDC WC, now that is a little claim to fame to be proud of.

H

First of a few? A lot of opens have popped up in recent years with decent prize funds. Can they all be sustained?
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Ginge wrote:I like the bit at the end of his opus where he compares a worldwide viewing figure to that of a British one. What a wally.
The claim is total BS anyway, no matter what "the email from the programme director" might say. Germany is one of the few markets (the only one?) where ES is actually on free-to-air, and I've seen the ratings for several darts programmes over the years - very low six-figures for full programs at best. ES on pay TV in the various other covered countries might do the same number combined, so even half a million worldwide would surprise me.

They've probably done some stunt like counting everybody separately who watched at least one minute of the program.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Still crying over facts I see, wonderful :-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Grass is purple.
Big Jock Knew
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

On another note, I'm surprised nobody has commented about this interesting choice of words:
Look, seeing the general maliase in our side of the game at the moment is as heartbreaking as seeing so many of our disciples leave for pastures PDC, many of whom were regulars at Jersey, and whilst I personally thank them for their previous patronage it undoubtedly leaves another hole to fill.