2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
billyd
Pub Champion

Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by billyd »

He was just interviewed on BT just now, and I've never seen a more dispondant winner in all my life, he clearly wants to go and his talent is wasted in this org. He is missing out on his dreams due to a contract situation when that orgs motto is darts for all. If that's the case, why can't he go and let someone else have a go? Ludicrous
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

billyd wrote:He was just interviewed on BT just now, and I've never seen a more dispondant winner in all my life, he clearly wants to go and his talent is wasted in this org. He is missing out on his dreams due to a contract situation when that orgs motto is darts for all. If that's the case, why can't he go and let someone else have a go? Ludicrous
How does any of this affect the "darts for all" mission statement?
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

billyd wrote:He was just interviewed on BT just now, and I've never seen a more dispondant winner in all my life, he clearly wants to go and his talent is wasted in this org. He is missing out on his dreams due to a contract situation when that orgs motto is darts for all. If that's the case, why can't he go and let someone else have a go? Ludicrous
Think we need to take Glen's comments with a pinch of salt. If he wants to go to the PDC he will go, and if he wants to stay in the BDO he will stay.

The PDC will not decide, nor will the BDO.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

ssjsa wrote:
Think we need to take Glen's comments with a pinch of salt. If he wants to go to the PDC he will go, and if he wants to stay in the BDO he will stay.

That is simply not true. He wants to go to the PDC. The contract - or more specifcally the threat of losing his prize money - is stopping him from switching.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

ssjsa wrote:

Exactly. BDO for life my arse. :)
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

trotter wrote:
If Durrant doesn't want to move then fine...Adams didn't and that's fine...Durrant does and it's clearly ridiculous to announce at the Quarters what he announced.
And here we have it. It is not Durrant's decision. It is sue, Wayne and des' and the rest.

still folks defending the contracts.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

devosteve wrote:
trotter wrote:
If Durrant doesn't want to move then fine...Adams didn't and that's fine...Durrant does and it's clearly ridiculous to announce at the Quarters what he announced.
And here we have it. It is not Durrant's decision. It is sue, Wayne and des' and the rest.

still folks defending the contracts.
He can decide to break the contract like Bunting did.
Doubt he would but all options are still open.
Bigwilma
Pub Champion

Re: RE: Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by Bigwilma »

Skewball wrote:
Bigwilma wrote:Honestly people need to wind their necks in, lots of "feelings", about the contract but little insight or understanding of very normal conventions being applied.
I disagree as these are restrictive covenants applied to after the tournament is finished (Which is what the contract is for , nothing more nothing less) . I think they are unfair and not conventional at all.

Would a band be withheld money after a tour has finished if they signed to tour again with a different agency in the next 12 months ?
You could argue they are unfair but restrictive would be legally a push - The prize money is paid out on the condition of coming back, is it not?

Duzza doesn't have to take the cash and although slightly different it's not unheard of to incorporate other contractual provisions regarding the performance of services in the future with promoters, however most big bands would set up and dissolve a dedicated company for a tour as I'm sure you know.
clemy1989
The Ton Club

Post by clemy1989 »

Only chance now of glen moving is if he loses the semi. I do wonder if he will give the UK open a shot though.
nevil22
Pub Champion

Post by nevil22 »

Durrant now officially SPINELESS MarkII
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Both ladies averaging over 90 at the moment.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

That is simply not true. He wants to go to the PDC. The contract - or more specifcally the threat of losing his prize money - is stopping him from switching.
Perhaps this may be a viable reason for not moving, had he made his Bdo for life post after winning 100k, but if Glen wanted to move and went out in the semis, 15k is washers in relation to future earnings.

Do you honestly think that if Durrant was wanting to go to the PDC that much he would be held over a barrel for 15k.

Steveo180
Steady Sixties

Post by Steveo180 »

ssjsa wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

Perhaps this may be a viable reason for not moving, had he made his Bdo for life post after winning 100k, but if Glen wanted to move and went out in the semis, 15k is washers in relation to future earnings.

Do you honestly think that if Durrant was wanting to go to the PDC that much he would be held over a barrel for 15k.
Having seen his BT interview I agree, If u was desperate to go u would bin off this years Lakeside Webster,Klaasen esq and just go. Fancy living your life on a 50/50 coin toss well I won so guess I'm staying. No your mind for Christ u either want it or you don't
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Its very easy for us to say considering we've not got £15,000+ riding on it.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

ssjsa wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

No, but I don't see anyone capable of beating him. It won't be 15k - it will be 100k. You dont walk away from that. The difference with Bunting (as mentioned above) is that he had his money in the bank.
Dannyboy
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by Dannyboy »

Bigwilma wrote:
Skewball wrote:
Bigwilma wrote:Honestly people need to wind their necks in, lots of "feelings", about the contract but little insight or understanding of very normal conventions being applied.
I disagree as these are restrictive covenants applied to after the tournament is finished (Which is what the contract is for , nothing more nothing less) . I think they are unfair and not conventional at all.

Would a band be withheld money after a tour has finished if they signed to tour again with a different agency in the next 12 months ?
You could argue they are unfair but restrictive would be legally a push - The prize money is paid out on the condition of coming back, is it not?

Duzza doesn't have to take the cash and although slightly different it's not unheard of to incorporate other contractual provisions regarding the performance of services in the future with promoters, however most big bands would set up and dissolve a dedicated company for a tour as I'm sure you know.
I suppose it could be argued that its not a player's fault he's banned from playing in a future tournament by gaining a tour card.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

No, but I don't see anyone capable of beating him. It won't be 15k - it will be 100k. You dont walk away from that. The difference with Bunting (as mentioned above) is that he had his money in the bank.
I accept the difference between Bunting's and Glen's situations, and I also agree that Durrant is a big favourite to win, but my point is why come out with the BDO for life comment at this stage rather than when he won 100k.

For me this is not as cut and dried as has been articulated by Glen, and there is a chance that Waites who to my mind is the best match player in the BDO can beat him.

Durrant has either already decided he does not want to switch, or is playing the political game.

Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

The other mystery here is why the PDC agreed with the BDO not to interfere with the Lakeside contract. There is two parties involved in this - not just one. Having kept Bunting's acceptance of a Tour Card a secret until his money landed - something changed. The Tour Card offer for semi finalists was withdrawn when it had just enticed the Lakeside champion. What was in it for the PDC?
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Murphio wrote:The other mystery here is why the PDC agreed with the BDO not to interfere with the Lakeside contract. There is two parties involved in this - not just one. Having kept Bunting's acceptance of a Tour Card a secret until his money landed - something changed. The Tour Card offer for semi finalists was withdrawn when it had just enticed the Lakeside champion. What was in it for the PDC?
Maybe its just another signal that the PDC are beyond caring about the BDO and its players. Because they don't have to and have nothing to gain by doing so. The PDC is happy for the BDO to keep destroying itself in every way possible.

If BDO players want to come across, they're more than welcome. But gone are the days where inducements, transactions and backroom deals are common place. Its a meritocracy and long may it continue.
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by Skewball »

Bigwilma wrote:
Skewball wrote:

If it's based on agreeing coming back in 12 months then it is definitely restrictive. 6 month restriction of trade is the recognised limit in previous court cases.