2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
paolo2144
Steady Sixties

Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by paolo2144 »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Duterprat wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:Troll division will be seething.........Gary will be on suicide watch, i don't think many will take a turn though...
care to elaborate why anyone will be seething? It was close, but apart from one game it was still miles away from todays professional level. And the best player confirmed that he will never become a professional, sadly (So we'll never know if he's really able to compete against top PDC players other than in that event where he plays for granted free money w/o pressure while his PDC opponents play for their ranking.)
You just reminded me why the day is extra special.......our best player who is arguably the best player around at present is staying put.......fantastic day for all genuine darts fans I'm sure you'll agree....
I take it when you say arguably the best player around you mean in the BDO :darts , as the GSOD has proved over the longer distance he is no match for likes of Peter wright and even big Barney who is a shadow of himself took care of Glen last year although it was a good match.

Don't get me wrong he is a really good player but if he had gone to PDC he would struggle to make the top ten and definitely to stay there, i suspect he would go the Bunting route.
paolo2144
Steady Sixties

Post by paolo2144 »

trotter wrote:It's been good in the latter stages but the likes of Paddy and ifm are a bit too desperate about it all......the matches have been good....we all know none of these players would challenge to win the Title at Ally Pally ...so why try to say otherwise.....just enjoy this for what it is...good competive matches in the second division world title.....it's ok to enjoy both you know
Amen to that :) , i really enjoyed the matches today but the standard from everyone apart from Glen was mediocre by say PDC standards
paolo2144
Steady Sixties

Post by paolo2144 »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Duterprat wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:Troll division will be seething.........Gary will be on suicide watch, i don't think many will take a turn though...
care to elaborate why anyone will be seething? It was close, but apart from one game it was still miles away from todays professional level. And the best player confirmed that he will never become a professional, sadly (So we'll never know if he's really able to compete against top PDC players other than in that event where he plays for granted free money w/o pressure while his PDC opponents play for their ranking.)
You just reminded me why the day is extra special.......our best player who is arguably the best player around at present is staying put.......fantastic day for all genuine darts fans I'm sure you'll agree....
It has been a very enjoyable watch. I'm not sure Duzza saying he will 'unfortunately' have to stay in the BDO really reflects well on the org at all. Still, when the smoke clears a very good player will be back at Lakeside next season. And goodness knows with the loss of Ratajski, Menzies, Noppert, Smith etc etc the BDO can't afford any more losses.
But they can Murph....they been saying that for years but they still keep coming....... conveyor belt has stalled,.. great news in the pipeline, I really think things have reached the bottom now. It's still every dart players dream to win Lakeside, that's why my faith remains strong.
I hope you are right Paddy because if the two organisations are not going to merge in near future then we do need a strong BDO so i hope the Board of Directors get together, get their act sorted and give their players the chances and rewards their loyalty deserves.
paolo2144
Steady Sixties

Post by paolo2144 »

DavidB wrote:Wow just wow!!!

Is that the best day of darts ever televised anywhere??

Certainly has to be the best quarter finals in any world championship ever surely??
lol it wasn't too bad for the BDO ;-)
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

Some are acting like the days matches were the greatest day of darts ever.but lets look at some facts they try to gloss over

Of the four mens quarter finals only one player of the 8 averaged more than 93
2 of the 8 men involved averaged in the 80s.
The comp has had just one solitary ton average

The PDC Quarter finals in comparison had 7 of the 8 players average over 97
None of the 8 averaged in the 80s.
The PDC had 25 ton plus averages....2 alone in the quarter finals

I am sure some BDO defender will moan about this post and try to call this trolling as the truth does not sit well with them.But these are genuine facts

The player that got the ton average in the bdo ( the only one) and their best and most consistent player said he was staying in the bdo and used the term "unfortunately". No matter how anyone tries spin that, it comes across bad and does more harm than good to the bdo.

I genuinely believe durrant knows himself he is not good enough, and this contract is a handy excuse to hide his lack of ambition, but I also understand how he wants to do what Martin Adams did and relax and take the 100k each year for a few years as there is no one to challenge him and be the big fish in a little stagnant pond.
Even Durrant himself corrected himself this week when he gave an interview and said World champion before quickly correcting himself and saying Lakeside Champion, as if he knew himself he was not a world champion.
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

DavidB wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Think we need to take Glen's comments with a pinch of salt. If he wants to go to the PDC he will go, and if he wants to stay in the BDO he will stay.

The PDC will not decide, nor will the BDO.
That is simply not true. He wants to go to the PDC. The contract - or more specifcally the threat of losing his prize money - is stopping him from switching.
Perhaps this may be a viable reason for not moving, had he made his Bdo for life post after winning 100k, but if Glen wanted to move and went out in the semis, 15k is washers in relation to future earnings.

Do you honestly think that if Durrant was wanting to go to the PDC that much he would be held over a barrel for 15k.
No, but I don't see anyone capable of beating him. It won't be 15k - it will be 100k. You dont walk away from that. The difference with Bunting (as mentioned above) is that he had his money in the bank.

The main difference with Bunting really is that the PDC then offered tour cards to the Lakeside semi finalists and thus Bunting had what 2-3 weeks to make his decision given the money had been given to him by then! Durrant has just a few days and has to go to Q-School.
That is inaccurate on both counts. Bunting did get an automatic Tour Card but it had to be accepted by the Qschool deadline which was only a day or two after he won the final. He accepted - but it was kept a secret until after he got his money. Glenn will have the same time as Bunting to sign up between the final and the deadline but that will have to be made public meaning the BDO will still have his prize money and can withhold it as per the terms of the Lakeside contract.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

...which is an absolute flaming disgrace.

From a PR point of view, it would be all over the newspapers that the BDO refused to pay the winners prize money . They’d come under so much pressure, TV and sponsors would want nothing to do with them again.

Do you want this Des?
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by Skewball »

Moongoose McQueeen wrote:
Skewball wrote:
Moongoose McQueeen wrote:Best day of televised darts ever.
No

;)
Are you G E??
Of course ! :)
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

It’s a bit bollocks in a way that a potential 2 time back to back Lakeside world champ as to go through Q school with bloody failed PDC players and jokers
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

oche balboa wrote:It’s a bit bollocks in a way that a potential 2 time back to back Lakeside world champ as to go through Q school with bloody failed PDC players and jokers
I agree with you, but its the way it is.
No favoritism, a level playing field. Everyone has to win 8-9 games to get a card.
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by Skewball »

oche balboa wrote:It’s a bit bollocks in a way that a potential 2 time back to back Lakeside world champ as to go through Q school with bloody failed PDC players and jokers
Meh, Q school or nothing , that's the deal. I thought bdo players are all down to earth working class players , if Durrant thinks he's too good for it then more fool him ;)
foggy
Superleague Player

Post by foggy »

Dannyboy wrote:
I agree with you, but its the way it is.
No favoritism, a level playing field. Everyone has to win 8-9 games to get a card.
Im sure uncle Bazza could find a way of making an exception if he really wanted to.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

BlueSpark wrote:I'd like to weigh in with my thoughts.
I couldn't care less where he or any other player plays his darts, it's up to him and my enjoyment of watching darts will not be affected by it whatsoever.
Spot on. I was lucky enough to be there for the afternoon session yesterday and both mens matches were great entertainment. Is my enjoyment of it affected by Glen's comments or contracts or darts politics - of course not!

Great day out, hope to be back next year with or without Duzza in the BDO
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Murphio wrote:
DavidB wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:
Murphio wrote: That is simply not true. He wants to go to the PDC. The contract - or more specifcally the threat of losing his prize money - is stopping him from switching.
Perhaps this may be a viable reason for not moving, had he made his Bdo for life post after winning 100k, but if Glen wanted to move and went out in the semis, 15k is washers in relation to future earnings.

Do you honestly think that if Durrant was wanting to go to the PDC that much he would be held over a barrel for 15k.
No, but I don't see anyone capable of beating him. It won't be 15k - it will be 100k. You dont walk away from that. The difference with Bunting (as mentioned above) is that he had his money in the bank.

The main difference with Bunting really is that the PDC then offered tour cards to the Lakeside semi finalists and thus Bunting had what 2-3 weeks to make his decision given the money had been given to him by then! Durrant has just a few days and has to go to Q-School.
That is inaccurate on both counts. Bunting did get an automatic Tour Card but it had to be accepted by the Qschool deadline which was only a day or two after he won the final. He accepted - but it was kept a secret until after he got his money. Glenn will have the same time as Bunting to sign up between the final and the deadline but that will have to be made public meaning the BDO will still have his prize money and can withhold it as per the terms of the Lakeside contract.

Are you sure about that Murphio??

A quote from Stephen at the time:

"I've been tearing my hair out for the last two weeks and my decision was only made last night, which shows how tough it was.”

But as you say he only had a few days :)
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

DavidB wrote:
Murphio wrote:
DavidB wrote:
Murphio wrote:
ssjsa wrote:

Are you sure about that Murphio??

A quote from Stephen at the time:

"I've been tearing my hair out for the last two weeks and my decision was only made last night, which shows how tough it was.”

But as you say he only had a few days :)
I'm positive. Bunting's comments were nonsense. PR. There was a deadline in place for acceptance of the Tour Card offer which had to be met before the Qschool deadline so that the PDC could establish the cards available. It was not open ended. For the first time the number was fudged (irrc it was announced as 40+). One day after Bunting got his money he confirmed he had switched.
nevil22
Pub Champion

Post by nevil22 »

el_ringo wrote:
nikkiboy wrote: Duzza on course to trouser £100k, how many took that home at the pdc worlds?
I can't find a yearly overall money list for the PDC

But I would figure at least 20 people earnt over a 100K from the PDC in 2017 and its more than possible , given the money increases, that there will be more who achieve this figure in 2018.

Really is a mind boggling decision not to swap over now if you are a player of Duzza's ability
As I stated before, now officially SPINELESS MarkII
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

nevil22 wrote:
el_ringo wrote:
nikkiboy wrote: Duzza on course to trouser £100k, how many took that home at the pdc worlds?

But I would figure at least 20 people earnt over a 100K from the PDC in 2017 and its more than possible , given the money increases, that there will be more who achieve this figure in 2018.

Really is a mind boggling decision not to swap over now if you are a player of Duzza's ability
This is total and utter pish. It's easy for you to sit from behind a keyboard and pontificate on what someone else should do when it's not thousands of pounds (potentially 100k) of your money at stake. The man was willing to take a card last year if offered. He'd probably still take one. It's not his fault the PDC is demanding he go to Qschool and the Lakeside contract says he can't.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Dannyboy wrote:...which is an absolute flaming disgrace.

From a PR point of view, it would be all over the newspapers that the BDO refused to pay the winners prize money . They’d come under so much pressure, TV and sponsors would want nothing to do with them again.

Do you want this Des?
Not at all, the contract was in place way before the competition started and no one forced them to sign, it's like winning Miss World then refusing to do any promotional work.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Murphio wrote:
nevil22 wrote:
el_ringo wrote:

This is total and utter pish. It's easy for you to sit from behind a keyboard and pontificate on what someone else should do when it's not thousands of pounds (potentially 100k) of your money at stake. The man was willing to take a card last year if offered. He'd probably still take one. It's not his fault the PDC is demanding he go to Qschool and the Lakeside contract says he can't.
Then maybe it's the PDC who are at fault then, it's them with their strict QS criteria who are preventing Glen from going across.......at the end of the day the blokes got to earn a living somewhere.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Murphio wrote:
nevil22 wrote:
el_ringo wrote:

Then maybe it's the PDC who are at fault then, it's them with their strict QS criteria who are preventing Glen from going across.......at the end of the day the blokes got to earn a living somewhere.
There was an agreement reached between the two orgs which has allowed the BDO to lever the Lakeside contract against Qschool. It is obvious how the BDO has since benefited. There would have been no Durrant at Frimley Green this year but for it. What the PDC get out of it - I don't honestly know. It is a bit of a head scratcher.