2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Bag Carrier
County Player

Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by Bag Carrier »

nikkiboy wrote:The more the delay the less confident I am getting that this is even going ahead, or at least in any way the same as last year.

some people been told 2/3 week in September will be news
JFT97
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

markymark wrote:I'd imagine that every TV company knows the word "professional" is irrelevant in the title now. As far as the general public is concerned, this is the minor show.
I'm not sure it is irrelevant. Even if the vast majority of viewers know there is another, more lucrative, version of a world professional championship played for by other players, having the word "professional" in the title adds a certain amount of prestige (or maybe having the word "amateur" in there would take some prestige away - I'm not sure).
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

devosteve wrote:Re hearn. I have not just thrown that name there without context.

He mentioned about helping them in some way.
He wants them to drop the professional part of the title.

would he be willing to save a rebranded lakeside with the bdo accepting (officially) their secondary position in the darting world?

Just a thought, but I don't think a ridiculous one.

ps don't forget to take your shoes off on Friday ginge
Hearn will help the BDO but wants the World Champs they hold to disappear. It’s always been the case
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

devosteve wrote:
Ginge wrote:As an aside, just been told that there is a crunch meeting at Lakeside this weekend regarding the darts, and that Des actually hasnt been in contact with Lakeside yet so nobody has any idea what is going on....
If your info is correct that that's got to be an incredible meeting for the future of the BDO.

Re Des. I think he can't lose. If a successful outcome is achieved he claims the victory and becomes the man who turned around the BDO's fortunes. If a 'bad' outcome' then the blame will fall on the previous board (and especially Sue who is still on this board!). Des will claim he couldn't save the situation that he had been left with.

TV is obviously key. Folks have said Potter will o0nly stump up the prize fund if on a major channel. maybe. But if on a minor channel he may offer, say, to pay 50% of prize fund. It may not be all or nothing with potter 9thus BDO only stumping up half of what they have contracted themselves to do.

But the meeting at Lakeside will be unlikely to include a broadcaster. I suspect it’s going to be a we do t have a broadcaster what can you do for us sought of a conversation.

The players have contracts that are signed saying they will have the same prize fund available don’t they?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The Jolly Man wrote:
devosteve wrote:
Ginge wrote:As an aside, just been told that there is a crunch meeting at Lakeside this weekend regarding the darts, and that Des actually hasnt been in contact with Lakeside yet so nobody has any idea what is going on....
If your info is correct that that's got to be an incredible meeting for the future of the BDO.

Re Des. I think he can't lose. If a successful outcome is achieved he claims the victory and becomes the man who turned around the BDO's fortunes. If a 'bad' outcome' then the blame will fall on the previous board (and especially Sue who is still on this board!). Des will claim he couldn't save the situation that he had been left with.

TV is obviously key. Folks have said Potter will o0nly stump up the prize fund if on a major channel. maybe. But if on a minor channel he may offer, say, to pay 50% of prize fund. It may not be all or nothing with potter 9thus BDO only stumping up half of what they have contracted themselves to do.

But the meeting at Lakeside will be unlikely to include a broadcaster. I suspect it’s going to be a we do t have a broadcaster what can you do for us sought of a conversation.

The players have contracts that are signed saying they will have the same prize fund available don’t they?
Yes but that will only apply to the ones who qualify this time as well....

Easy way round it, pay them all the same and then pay the likes of Dave Parletti and Andy Hamilton (if he qualifies) a fiver. Will save a bit of cash :D
Big Jock Knew
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Bag Carrier wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:The more the delay the less confident I am getting that this is even going ahead, or at least in any way the same as last year.

A rumour of an announcement of an announcement?
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

I think its a fairly likely way to cut the liablities. The prize money can be slashed but the ones with the contract get their earnings made up to last years level for whatever round they reach.

Wont be popular it could certainly help if the situation turns out badly and theres no broadcaster.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Bag Carrier wrote:

Any rumours if it is good or bad news?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Seen the point mentioned elsewhere that trying to sell this event to broadcasters as a 9 day TV event may not be helping.

Would they ever consider perhaps only streaming the first 7 days and then selling the final weekend as a TV package, or something along those lines?
Last edited by Ginge on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote:Seen the point mentioned elsewhere that trying to slll this event to broadcasters as a 9 day TV event may not be helping.

Would they ever consider perhaps only streaming the first 7 days and then selling the final weekend as a TV package, or something along those lines?
Might be the only option open to them.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

If that’s the case. Then couldn’t the BDO reduce the fields to 32 & 8. Lose a couple of days and only Televise the nighttime action, stream the daytime
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Would be uproar if they reduced them at this late stage, wouldnt be a bad idea for 2020 onwards though.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Yeah good point

They could try another way and have the Prelims all on Friday Night and keep the ladies as 16 players (for this year).
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

so can anyone tell me what exactly has been sorted for lakeside 2019

I get there is no sponsor, no tv etc organised.
Prizefund is up in the air.

Is the event even assured of happening at lakeside ?
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Ginge wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
devosteve wrote:

Yes but that will only apply to the ones who qualify this time as well....

Easy way round it, pay them all the same and then pay the likes of Dave Parletti and Andy Hamilton (if he qualifies) a fiver. Will save a bit of cash :D
But could Jamie Hughes say take BDO for damages after they defaulted on the contract he signed that banned him from competing to get to lakeside?
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

ChrisW wrote:
Ginge wrote:Seen the point mentioned elsewhere that trying to slll this event to broadcasters as a 9 day TV event may not be helping.

Would you have a TV set up for the first 7 days? Probably not. You would then need someone to come in still set up camera etc to do it.

Would Potter accept anything except it all being on tv?
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by Ginge »

The Jolly Man wrote:
ChrisW wrote:

Would you have a TV set up for the first 7 days? Probably not. You would then need someone to come in still set up camera etc to do it.

Would hardly be the first event to only be televised for the latter stages. One year only the final day of the Masters was on the telly.
Big Jock Knew
The Jolly Man
County Player

Re: RE: Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by The Jolly Man »

Ginge wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
ChrisW wrote:

Would hardly be the first event to only be televised for the latter stages. One year only the final day of the Masters was on the telly.
Was that day praised as great coverage?
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by Ginge »

The Jolly Man wrote:
Ginge wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
ChrisW wrote:

Was that day praised as great coverage?
I remember it was announced very late, the year after the whole event was televised, and Col was gushing on here as if it was the greatest announcement on Earth :D
Big Jock Knew
masticman
Superleague Player

Post by masticman »

I’m a bit behind cos of my enforced holiday
Just wanna know y Jamie Hughes has been ban from playing in bdo ?