2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
The Jolly Man
County Player

Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by The Jolly Man »

masticman wrote:I’m a bit behind cos of my enforced holiday
Just wanna know y Jamie Hughes has been ban from playing in bdo ?
He was at lakeside, went to q-school, failed at q-school, BDO lakeside contract means he can’t return to the BDO.
masticman
Superleague Player

Post by masticman »

The Jolly Man wrote:
He was at lakeside, went to q-school, failed at q-school, BDO lakeside contract means he can’t return to the BDO.
Oh right thx for that. But can still play challage tour, European qualifiers & world pro qualifiers grand slam qualifiers. ?
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

masticman wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
Oh right thx for that. But can still play challage tour, European qualifiers & world pro qualifiers grand slam qualifiers. ?
He can still play in the PDC system.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

The Jolly Man wrote:
Even now that all bans have been lifted?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
Even now that all bans have been lifted?
Not until next month.
Big Jock Knew
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Ginge wrote:Seen the point mentioned elsewhere that trying to sell this event to broadcasters as a 9 day TV event may not be helping.

Would they ever consider perhaps only streaming the first 7 days and then selling the final weekend as a TV package, or something along those lines?
I think the big problem here is the perception of what darts is has changed massively in the last 5-10 years and thus its a struggle to sell the BDO as a product.

You ask the average Joe 10 years ago what the world professional darts championship is and I bet at least 50% would have said its that darts tournament on the BBC in January played at the lakeside

You ask them this year what the world professional darts championship is and I guarantee 99% would say its the event on Sky Sports at Christmas that Phil Taylor plays in.

Now imagine the BDO trying to sell their product.

"Hey are you interested in picking up the World Professional darts TV deal for £400K for 2 years?"
"The big tournament on Sky coming to us for £400K, Absolutely"
"No we are the BDO, the other world championships"
"So do you have Phil Taylor, Van Gerwen, Barney or any of the big names taking part"
"No"
"Ok, so whats your previous viewing figures like"
"Well we lost our last deal with C4 but we got very reasonable figures, but the other 2 majors we gave away to freesports for free"
"and you want £400K"
"yes"

Its an hard task. Add the fact that Bazza has a hold on almost all the major sporting broadcasters and has turned perception into thinking the PDC is the only major darts organization and it becomes an impossible task.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Do we know that BT Sports aren’t interested in addition to C4 pulling out. Remember they paid 50% of the TV production cost even if they paid less for rights than C4.

BT though have been pulling out of minor rights such as Italian football, NBA and UFC to focus on the big stuff.

I think as noted the big problem for the minor TV channels is they would not just want rights for free or minimal cost but also for BDO to pay for 9 days of production costs. That means the BDO finding a sponsor willing to pay for this, but almost certainly no money for the prize fund.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

2018 BDO World Championship- Lakeside- 6th-14th January

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

malcy93 wrote:Do we know that BT Sports aren’t interested in addition to C4 pulling out. Remember they paid 50% of the TV production cost even if they paid less for rights than C4.

BT though have been pulling out of minor rights such as Italian football, NBA and UFC to focus on the big stuff.

I think as noted the big problem for the minor TV channels is they would not just want rights for free or minimal cost but also for BDO to pay for 9 days of production costs. That means the BDO finding a sponsor willing to pay for this, but almost certainly no money for the prize fund.
Didn’t think they paid anything for production as it was tendered out?

Also tommy cox (not the best source I know) said that bt said they would never pick up the full rights as their contract was for only picking up half if someone took up the other half.

Like you say it’s just a hard sell. 9 days of darts, 8 hours a day and they want the channel to pick up £400k for it. No channel can really drop everything to show a minor sport.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

oche balboa wrote:If that’s the case. Then couldn’t the BDO reduce the fields to 32 & 8. Lose a couple of days and only Televise the nighttime action, stream the daytime
Reduce the ladies field to 8?
You can see the problem with this, surely?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Quite, will never happen whilst a certain lady only qualifies in 9th or lower.....
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

I agree, but not a lot is happening is there
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Lakeside still ignoring everyone on the FB page. Wonder if they will ignore this guy? :D

Big Jock Knew
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

To be honest, I think reduced fields and therefore less sessions is a pretty good idea, it's just there's no way the present administration will go for it.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Ginge wrote:Lakeside still ignoring everyone on the FB page. Wonder if they will ignore this guy? :D

You've got to admire the attention to detail of someone who closely examines the social media output of those he is attempting to do business with, and adjusts his own writing style to something similar. Anything which oils the wheels of industry is a good thing.
He could probably do with a few more random exclamation marks, and a more haphazard use of upper and lower case, but it's not a bad first effort.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
malcy93 wrote:Do we know that BT Sports aren’t interested in addition to C4 pulling out. Remember they paid 50% of the TV production cost even if they paid less for rights than C4.

Didn’t think they paid anything for production as it was tendered out?

Also tommy cox (not the best source I know) said that bt said they would never pick up the full rights as their contract was for only picking up half if someone took up the other half.

Like you say it’s just a hard sell. 9 days of darts, 8 hours a day and they want the channel to pick up £400k for it. No channel can really drop everything to show a minor sport.
Confused by your comment.

Of course the production and filing is tendered out as neither C4 or BT have in house people. The cost of filming was split 50/50 between the two companies.

This is why the BBC originally started sharing with ESPN, as the BBC wanted to halved their filming costs. When ESPN and BT took over their UK rights and rights to some of their US coverage then BT paid half.

The issue is BT have said they don’t want to pay 100%. They are happy to go 50/50with BBC, ITV, C4 or C5 but not Quest (owned by Eurosport) or Freesports (as owned by Premier Sports) as both commercial pay TV sports rivals.

Best hope would be Freesports daytime and their parent Premier Sports in evening, but they would expect BDO to pay for all filming as would pay only minuscule amount or possibly nothing for the TV rights. So massive hole in BDO finances.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Never even considered BT would refuse to share with certain other channels.
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote:Never even considered BT would refuse to share with certain other channels.
Finally some people admitting they are experts in these things.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Beer or cider tonight mate?
Big Jock Knew
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

If it's on Premier/Freesports, it's dead.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:Heard a rumour that someone is going to be let out of Prison “miscarriage of justice”

Some people will have eggs on faces
Still no news on this then?
Big Jock Knew