2017 PDC Grand Slam of Darts, Wolverhampton 11-19 November

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
DavidB
International

Re: 2017 PDC Grand Slam of Darts, Wolverhampton 11-19 November

Post by DavidB »

Booji Boy wrote:Its embarrassing for the BDO to have only 1 qualify. Thankfully the 1 that has qualified is actually good enough to win the whole damn thing.

Not sure about that, the players who didn’t perform their best in the first 2 matches will be disappointed but I guess that’s the problem with the BDO tour, lack of tv and stages like GSoD.

Last year 6 of the 8 x BDO players qualified and all lost next round - Duzza as you say is one who could easily go a round or two further so swings and roundabouts!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

DavidB wrote:
Booji Boy wrote:Its embarrassing for the BDO to have only 1 qualify. Thankfully the 1 that has qualified is actually good enough to win the whole damn thing.

Not sure about that, the players who didn’t perform their best in the first 2 matches will be disappointed but I guess that’s the problem with the BDO tour, lack of tv and stages like GSoD.

Last year 6 of the 8 x BDO players qualified and all lost next round - Duzza as you say is one who could easily go a round or two further so swings and roundabouts!
No.

And its all well and good going on about players doing well in their final match but in the most part this was when they were already (or effectively) eliminated, no pressure on them. Doesnt really bode very well.
Big Jock Knew
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

Hughes won a match when the pressure was off and his opponent underperformed thats all.

Machin won a bizarre match with an average under 80. Hardly professional.

Montgomery did face the toughest task to be fair and its no surprise he lost to Cross and MVG.

McGeeney was just poor for a supposedly Number 1.

Mitchell played his game but just wasnt quite good enough against decent opposition.

Other than the novelty value of seeing Ross against MVG what did these really add to the tournament. If they were PDC players theyd be like the lower ranked qualifiers who lower the quality of the competition instead of having Lewis, Klassen, Kyle Anderson there.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Ginge wrote:
DavidB wrote:

No.

And its all well and good going on about players doing well in their final match but in the most part this was when they were already (or effectively) eliminated, no pressure on them. Doesnt really bode very well.

My bad, 5 wasn’t it? Mitchell, Adams and Waites missed out?

You’re the one going on but pressure being off, blah blah - all I’m saying is they could have not cared and lost 5-0 meaning unfair on another player in the group, at least they showed professionalism to try and win their last game.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Strange no one is having a pop at Gerwyn Price
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Price was an actual disgrace.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

What did he do?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

""I really enjoyed it tonight - there was no pressure and that showed in my performance," said Hughes.

QED.
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

Astonvilla wrote:Hughes won a match when the pressure was off and his opponent underperformed thats all.

Montgomery did face the toughest task to be fair and its no surprise he lost to Cross and MVG.

Mitchell played his game but just wasnt quite good enough against decent opposition.

Other than the novelty value of seeing Ross against MVG what did these really add to the tournament. If they were PDC players theyd be like the lower ranked qualifiers who lower the quality of the competition instead of having Lewis, Klassen, Kyle Anderson there.

Not sure what you’re trying to say, almost a contradiction!

Can’t have it both ways - the players you mentioned weren’t good enough to qualify for the event, would you rather see some news faces like Menzies, Lennon, etc or the players you mention who often go out in the group stage anyway?
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Ginge wrote:""I really enjoyed it tonight - there was no pressure and that showed in my performance," said Hughes.

QED.
Has it now sunk in that he knows what his issues are?
His 5 zip defeat was a pitiful effort.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Astonvilla wrote:Hughes won a match when the pressure was off and his opponent underperformed thats all.

If you don't enjoy seeing different match-ups from the norm then clearly this tournament isn't for you!
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

"I didn't realise that I'd knocked Gerwyn out, and I just wanted to go up there and play like I can do.“ said Hughes.

QED
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Eh?
Big Jock Knew
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

:WWWW:
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

As I suspected.
Big Jock Knew
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

BlueSpark wrote:
Ginge wrote:""I really enjoyed it tonight - there was no pressure and that showed in my performance," said Hughes.

QED.
Has it now sunk in that he knows what his issues are?
His 5 zip defeat was a pitiful effort.
Funny player - his Lakeside performances are so hit and miss. I saw him play horribly a couple of years ago, and then last year played well to see off Adams in the quarter-final. Maybe he can't handle it when he's expected to win!
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

This tournament is great when the BDO can provide competitive players that you hope can progress.

Whats the interest in watching Machin MCgeeney Montgomery (to be fair because of the draw) and Hughes when you know they have no realistic chance of doing anything but crash out in the group stage.

When it was Waites or Wolfie or O'Shea or Hankey it was great but now its lost it.

Before it started I could have predicted 1/8 qualifying unless Noppert had returned in form. Its just going through the motons.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Astonvilla wrote:This tournament is great when the BDO can provide competitive players that you hope can progress.

Whats the interest in watching Machin MCgeeney Montgomery (to be fair because of the draw) and Hughes when you know they have no realistic chance of doing anything but crash out in the group stage.

When it was Waites or Wolfie or O'Shea or Hankey it was great but now its lost it.

Before it started I could have predicted 1/8 qualifying unless Noppert had returned in form. Its just going through the motons.
On current form you would only give Waites any chance of getting out a group anyway. Hankey/O'Shea are past it and Adams is now far too inconsistent after his health problems and with the onset of age.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

It was marketed as champions of tournaments from both codes coming together in competition for one tournament of the year wasn't it?
It's nothing like that in reality.
A disappointment.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

BlueSpark wrote:It was marketed as champions of tournaments from both codes coming together in competition for one tournament of the year wasn't it?
It's nothing like that in reality.
A disappointment.
Well it's got the World Champion, World Master and World Trophy winners..plus the best in the rankings..so not sure what else they can do...
It's always going to be hard playing the opening matches against the top seeds in the group..puts you on the back foot right away....the gap is widening due to so much TV time for the PDC players but the BDO players have shown that given the TV time the PDC get and the competitive environment they play in then most of them could definitely compete over time..