2018 Premier League

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Canuck_bully
The Ton Club

Re: 2018 Premier League

Post by Canuck_bully »

So with his loss last Sunday in the ET and 2 this week, 3 losses in a row on TV for MVG, doesnt happen very often. Though not like he has been playing bad so still should top the group with a game in hand, but if he doesnt pick up 2 wins next week then maybe his game V Cross in 2 weeks could have a sway on the top spot. For sure MVG places alot of pride on finishing top in the group.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

ssjsa wrote:
trotter wrote:Those scenes show why Barney will and should always get a wildcard for the Premier League....

And if you are selling the sport to sponsors just show them those scenes....forget the actual darts !!
Have to say, I agree with your post. Arguably Barney is one of the Top 3 players of all time, and is still one of the greatest draws in the game. For me will continue to be a Sky pick for the foreseeable future.
Definitely.
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

Canuck_bully wrote:So with his loss last Sunday in the ET and 2 this week, 3 losses in a row on TV for MVG, doesnt happen very often. Though not like he has been playing bad so still should top the group with a game in hand, but if he doesnt pick up 2 wins next week then maybe his game V Cross in 2 weeks could have a sway on the top spot. For sure MVG places alot of pride on finishing top in the group.
Cliff's: MvG and RvB spreading energy.

Enough to be mentioned on every news.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

FOLLOWING the Unibet Premier League's double-header at Rotterdam Ahoy, we look at five key talking points going into the season's final month.

Rotterdam staged a double-header to make up for the league night which was lost due to the snow in Exeter in March - and for a third year the sold-out Ahoy crowd created an incredible atmosphere.

A significant two nights could also shape the remainder of the Premier League season, going into the final league nights in Manchester, Birmingham and Aberdeen ahead of May's Play-Offs at The O2.

* BARNEY'S BIRTHDAY BONANZA *

Raymond van Barneveld's popularity in the Netherlands has never been in question, but the five-time World Champion enjoyed an unforgettable double-header in Rotterdam ahead of his 51st birthday on Friday.

He defeated Simon Whitlock 7-3 on Wednesday to delight the sold-out orange faithful, who cheered his victory to the rafters and gave their hero a remarkable reception as he addressed the crowd in Dutch afterwards.

Van Barneveld then won the Dutch derby with Michael van Gerwen 7-5 to complete an incredible double in Rotterdam.

Having lost twice in Sheffield on Night Ten, Van Barneveld's double keeps alive his chances of claiming a Play-Off place, and he could well be inspired by the Dutch double.

* ANDERSON'S TREBLE CONTINUES TITLE PUSH *

Three wins for Gary Anderson moved him up to second in the league table, on 17 points.

However, it was also the manner of the victories which impressed as the two-time Premier League champion posted the highest average of the season to date, 110.83, in Wednesday's win over Michael Smith before posting a 109.73 average in Thursday's defeat of Daryl Gurney.

He also took out a 170 checkout and missed double 12 for a nine-darter amongst a memorable two nights in Rotterdam.

Anderson has now won six of his last seven matches, and having already claimed the UK Open title this year is setting his sights on a third Premier League triumph on May 17.

* THE BATTLE TO FINISH TOP *

Back-to-back defeats for Michael van Gerwen, and the points picked up by his top-four rivals, leave the reiging champion only one point clear of Gary Anderson.

The Dutchman does, though, have a game in hand on Anderson and Rob Cross as he goes into next week's double-header in Manchester, and remains the favourite to top the league table for a sixth straight season.

* THE BATTLE FOR PLAY-OFF PLACES *

Fourth-placed Michael Smith (16 points) now sits three points clear of Daryl Gurney (13), with Raymond van Barneveld a further point adrift on 12, Peter Wright on 11 and Simon Whitlock on ten.

Smith also has a game in hand on the four players below the Play-Off places as he bids to finish in the top four for the first time.

His season could hinge on his double-header in Manchester on Thursday, where he meets Wright and Van Gerwen.

* NINE-DART MAGIC *

Gary Anderson came within the width of a wire of landing a nine-dart finish in leg eight of Wednesday's win over Rob Cross.

The Scot also opened Thursday's tie with Daryl Gurney with six perfect darts, while the Northern Irish ace later set up a nine-darter attempt with two 180s in his clash with Simon Whitlock.

Will we see a nine-dart finish in the remainder of the season? Time will tell...

2018 Unibet Premier League
Night 13 - April 26
The Manchester Arena
Peter Wright v Michael Smith
Daryl Gurney v Michael van Gerwen
Simon Whitlock v Gary Anderson
Raymond van Barneveld v Rob Cross
Michael Smith v Michael van Gerwen

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Courtesy of Premium Dart Data

Most 180s in competion #PLDarts

2005 Lloyd 43
2006 Taylor Barney 46
2007 Barney 67
2008 Taylor 49
2009 Taylor 59
2010 Lewis 56
2011 Anderson 68
2012 Lewis 58
2013 MvG 57
2014 Thornton 64
2015 Chisnall 62
2016 MvG 62
2017 Chisnall 71❗️
2018 (so far) Gurney 55

ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

DARYL GURNEY hasn't given up hope on his dream of reaching the Unibet Premier League Play-Offs after his win over Simon Whitlock in Rotterdam.

The Northern Irish star is enjoying a strong Premier League debut on the back of his World Grand Prix triumph last October, and sits in fifth place going into the remaining three weeks.

Gurney took seven matches to taste victory for the first time in the Premier League but has racked up an impressive 13 points going into his final three games of the campaign.

Ahead of Thursday's tie with Michael van Gerwen at The Manchester Arena, the world number five believes a top-four place is still within reach despite being three points adrift of Michael Smith, who plays twice in Manchester.

"I haven't given up, but Michael’s got one more game to play than me so it's hard to judge," said Gurney, who faces Smith and Peter Wright in his final two games.

"I'm not going to wish that he gets beaten in his two games, but he needs to get beaten for me to have a chance - and the way he's playing, the way he's finishing, he's too consistent at the minute.

"I don't see him getting beaten that night as he plays two games."

Gurney suffered defeats to Rob Cross and Gary Anderson in Rotterdam before his 7-1 triumph over Whitlock saw him get back to winning ways.

Following a tricky start to his Premier League campaign, the Northern Irishman is happy with his recovery over the recent weeks which has kept him in contention to play at The O2 on May 17.

"Fifth would be a good start for the first time I've played in the Premier League but I needed to win that game to keep my hopes alive," Gurney added.

Tickets for the Unibet Premier League's visit to The Manchester Arena on Thursday April 26 are still available, and can be purchased via www.eventim.co.uk and 0844 847 8000.

Unibet Premier League
Night 13 - April 26
The Manchester Arena
Attachments
IMG_20180423_175956.jpg
IMG_20180423_175956.jpg (349.06 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

MICHAEL VAN GERWEN is aiming to secure top spot in the Unibet Premier League as the tournament visits The Manchester Arena on Thursday.

League leader van Gerwen and fourth-placed Michael Smith both play twice as the remaining eight players battle it out to secure their place in the Play-Offs at The O2 next month.

Reigning champion Van Gerwen can secure first place for a sixth successive season with wins over Daryl Gurney and Smith, who are both in the race to make the final four.

Having suffered back-to-back defeats over two nights in Rotterdam last week, the world number one is eager to bounce back in Manchester as he plays Daryl Gurney and then Smith.

"Last week in Rotterdam was really disappointing but that's gone now and this tournament isn't about one or two nights but the whole season," said Van Gerwen, who posted averages of 106 and 103 in his two defeats.

"I've got two matches in Manchester and I'm determined to win them both. I want to finish top of the table and I'm going to do everything I can to achieve that.

"Daryl and Michael are playing really well so I know what I've got to do on Thursday."

Smith opens the night against Peter Wright before returning to face Van Gerwen, and the former World Youth Champion is focussed on securing his Play-Off place.

"It should be fun in Manchester," said St Helens' Smith, who currently sits in fourth spot.

"I hope I can make the Play-Offs but there's a fine line between arrogance and confidence and I don't know which way to step on it just now.

"I'll just take every match that I play and focus on it 100% and I just want to concentrate on each game and getting points on the board."

Gurney secured a much-needed win over Simon Whitlock in the final game in Rotterdam, and the Northern Irishman hasn’t given up hope of securing a top-four place despite being three points adrift of Smith.

"I haven't given up, but Michael’s got one more game to play than me so it's hard to judge," said the World Grand Prix champion.

"I'm not going to wish that he gets beaten in his two games [in Manchester], but he needs to get beaten for me to have a chance - and the way he's playing, the way he's finishing, he's too consistent at the minute."

Rob Cross can secure his spot in the Play-Offs with a win over Raymond van Barneveld, and the reigning World Champion is hopeful of making it five wins from five over the Dutchman.

"Barney's brilliant and I'm going to have to be on my game," said Cross.

"I think it's going to be a great game.

“The next three games are big games and I'm going to have to put a few more points on to qualify, but I'm feeling good.

"It's exciting times and for a debutant I don't think I've handled it too badly."

Van Barneveld, fresh from his monumental win over Van Gerwen in Rotterdam, will need to pick up a win over Cross to keep his top four hopes alive.

"It's going to be really tough for me to qualify but I'm a knockout player, I always do well in knockout competitions," said Van Barneveld.

"I'm going to have to work hard to be a part of the top four, but everyone is playing good darts.

"For the last three weeks I can't say if I'm going to make it or not but I'm going to do my very best - I never give up. I'm still in the race."

Gary Anderson will also be hoping to back up his three wins in Rotterdam with another victory over Simon Whitlock, which would be enough to secure the two-time Premier League champion's place at The O2.

Tickets for the Unibet Premier League's visit to The Manchester Arena on Thursday April 26 are still available, and can be purchased via www.eventim.co.uk and 0844 847 8000.

Unibet Premier League
Night 13 - April 26
The Manchester Arena, Manchester

Tickets via www.eventim.co.uk and 0844 847 8000

Unibet Match Odds - Night 13, Manchester

11/10 Peter Wright
33/10 Draw
7/4 Michael Smith

13/2 Daryl Gurney
11/2 Draw
7/25 Michael van Gerwen

7/1 Simon Whitlock
11/2 Draw
7/25 Gary Anderson

5/2 Raymond van Barneveld
7/2 Draw
4/5 Rob Cross

11/2 Michael Smith
5/1 Draw
1/3 Michael van Gerwen

ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

MVG was knighted today.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Have they sold more than 87 tickets for this?
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Ginge wrote:Have they sold more than 87 tickets for this?
:grin:
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Premier League

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:
Then again they had probably only sold 30 or so before the line-up was confirmed?
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Premier League

Post by BlueSpark »

Ginge wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
Then again they had probably only sold 30 or so before the line-up was confirmed?
Is there going to be one lonesome soul sat at the back all on his own?
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 Premier League

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:
Ginge wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
Only for the final, mate.
Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Ginge wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
Ginge wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
Be like the Gold cup final from a couple of years ago then, mate
The Shank
Superleague Player

Post by The Shank »

Crackin line up tonight.
"Russia committed worse atrocities than Hitler in WW2" - IFM.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

BlueSpark wrote:
Ginge wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
Ginge wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:
Be like the Gold cup final from a couple of years ago then, mate
Correct the CatasTrophy gonna be like the gold cup final in 2016

i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

The Shank wrote:Crackin line up tonight.
Post reported.
Mgt
Superleague Player

Post by Mgt »

ChrisW wrote:MVG was knighted today.
As was a lovely 74 year old lady who's apparently been volunteering to organise darts practices for youths for over 35 years. Lovely story.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Wright getting a pasting here.
Majestic.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

7-1!
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha