Was the WDT 2017 a success?

Post by Ginge »

Vote now :fishing
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Re: Was the WDT 2017 a success?

Post by Rout »

This should be a really close vote. There's been so many people defending it on here, could be a photo finish.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Was the WDT 2017 a success?

Post by Ginge »

Rout wrote:This should be a really close vote. There's been so many people defending it on here, could be a photo finish.
I assume you were the one who voted Yes then :D
Big Jock Knew
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

The event went largely as expected so I guess Sue and the rest deserve credit for meeting those expectations. And long may she reign.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

To be fair, there were some good darts matches.

But sadly that was overshadowed by the poor quality advert breaks, the news that the bdo failed to email themselves a link to the coverage 14 days in advance, the cameras having the cheek to show people arriving at the venue, someone drinking a small bottle of continental style beer and of course the missing commercial break.

I don't know how any event could survive with those issues going on.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

It was a can, not a bottle.
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:It was a can, not a bottle.
And NOW you tell me???
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

For me, given how well the 2016 WDT went, this was a huge backwards step by comparison.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Also when voting folks need to keep in mind that this is the 3rd biggest major in the bdo . In light of that was it a success?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

ssjsa wrote:For me, given how well the 2016 WDT went, this was a huge backwards step by comparison.
This

This shouldn't have gone ahead, is costing someone a ton (I still think Sportotal are going to get fucked with the bill) and ended in complete farce. Yes its not the BDOs fault the power went out but it came back and Frontrunner didnt bother showing it, Wayne forgot to do the DFW live scoring so the only people that could see it was the people watching the unilad stream and the 10 people left in the building at the end.

And to top it all off they announce (in a response on twitter of all places) that the winner doesn't get a GSOD place any more.

2016 was such a refreshing event and I ended up watching nearly all of it. This weekend was an embarrassment in comparison and will do more harm than good in the long run. What channel is honestly going to pick up the masters when they ask to see the coverage of the last event they showed on TV.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
ssjsa wrote:For me, given how well the 2016 WDT went, this was a huge backwards step by comparison.
This

This shouldn't have gone ahead, is costing someone a ton (I still think Sportotal are going to get fekked with the bill) and ended in complete farce. Yes its not the BDOs fault the power went out but it came back and Frontrunner didnt bother showing it, Wayne forgot to do the DFW live scoring so the only people that could see it was the people watching the unilad stream and the 10 people left in the building at the end.

And to top it all off they announce (in a response on twitter of all places) that the winner doesn't get a GSOD place any more.

2016 was such a refreshing event and I ended up watching nearly all of it. This weekend was an embarrassment in comparison and will do more harm than good in the long run. What channel is honestly going to pick up the masters when they ask to see the coverage of the last event they showed on TV.
Still don't understand your Sportotal theory. Do they have a spare few thousand pounds lying around?

Wasn't their event to fund and they hardly went all out to promote it to recoup some money. This is all coming out of the BDO cash reserves IMO.

As an aside someone on the Fanatics said that the promotion was poor because the BDO are still in contract with Frank Warren. Haven't a clue how the two are linked even if it was true.
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Absolutely brilliant, great darts played in a appreciative atmosphere....well done BDO darts, you just keep on giving........ :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Paddy McGinty wrote:Absolutely brilliant, great darts played in a appreciative atmosphere....well done BDO darts, you just keep on giving........ :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD:
They certainly are the gift that keeps giving..
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Skewball wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:Absolutely brilliant, great darts played in a appreciative atmosphere....well done BDO darts, you just keep on giving........ :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD:
For the last 5 years people have said that the BDO was finished yet they still keep putting on cracking tournaments and still host the best and definitive World championships.........you lot keep moaning but the BDO keep going.....

You may as well give up and call it a day,
the BDO is here to stay....!! :headbang: :headbang:
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Such a shame, because the darts was better
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Skewball wrote:
For the last 5 years people have said that the BDO was finished yet they still keep putting on cracking tournaments and still host the best and definitive World championships.........you lot keep moaning but the BDO keep going.....

Whilst your off gallivanting around the world looking at turtles, the BDO needed your help. You obviously had the holiday time and I'm disgusted that you didn't even consider supporting the "true" endangered species ;-)
davcol
Superleague Player

Post by davcol »

No the made a bloody pigs ear of it.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Wubbalubbadubdub wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Skewball wrote:

Whilst your off gallivanting around the world looking at turtles, the BDO needed your help. You obviously had the holiday time and I'm disgusted that you didn't even consider supporting the "true" endangered species ;-)
Blue footed boobies wubba...........blue footed boobies......what a neat bird.........
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

It was an absolute clusterfuck really. Shame on the BDO.

The actual darts was very decent but it was sadly overshadowed by the many problems this event had.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Nice close result so far. And I even put the "Yes" option first....
Big Jock Knew