2018 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-14th December 2017- 1st January 2018

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
billyd
Pub Champion

Re: 2018 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-14th December 2017- 1st January 2018

Post by billyd »

What an amazing world championship draw! I particularly can't wait for seed 18 vs OOM 4! The one that everyone is looking forward to! Glad that was televised on sky sports!
Ginge
International

Re: 2018 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-14th December 2017- 1st January 2018

Post by Ginge »

It's a disgrace that the draw for Lakeside 2019 hadnt been done yet. Or for the Matchplay 2020.

An utter disgrace.
Big Jock Knew
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

Ginge wrote:It's a disgrace that the draw for Lakeside 2019 hadnt been done yet. Or for the Matchplay 2020.

An utter disgrace.
IFM's post on the previous page
ifm wrote: a draw could be made without knowing the participants.
:DDD:
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
ifm
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-14th December 2017- 1st January 2018

Post by ifm »

Ginge wrote:It's a disgrace that the draw for Lakeside 2019 hadnt been done yet. Or for the Matchplay 2020.

An utter disgrace.
Can't because "certain players" would manipulate their position in order to get an easier game ;)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Little Lonely Garry
International

Just catching up on this, presume MVG won this as well ?
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

THE team behind the PDC's William Hill World Darts Championship has been recognised for its delivery of the event in the prestigious Sports Business Awards.

Following the record-breaking 25th edition held at Alexandra Palace between December 14 2017 and January 1 2018, the event's workforce has been nominated in the Best Operations Team category for the 2018 awards.

The Sports Business Awards celebrate the hard work and achievements of individuals and teams who make sporting success possible, including organisers, administrators and companies involved in sport.

And following on from the 2017 edition where the World Darts Championship was awarded silver in the Sports Event of The Year category, this year sees the staff that make the event possible receive a nomination to be judged on by a panel of from the world of sports business.

Up to 500 staff work at the event each day, with the PDC's team supported by venue and catering staff from Alexandra Palace, Sky Sports TV production crew, William Hill's sponsorship and hospitality team, SeeTickets event staff and a host of catering, cleaning, traffic management and other operational contractors.

"I'm really proud that we’ve been nominated for this prestigious award," said PDC Chief Executive Matthew Porter.

"It's fantastic recognition for our hard-working staff who give up their personal and family time over Christmas to deliver a world-class event to over 65,000 fans from across the globe.

"With the dynamic nature of the crowd and often difficult weather conditions, it's an event that requires a huge amount of planning and execution, but the World Darts Championship is synonymous with Christmas in this country now and that wouldn't be the case if our staff didn't deliver to the high levels that they produce day-in and day-out.

"Our team consists of an management group who look after staging, security and tournament officiating, as well as servicing our sponsors, the world's media and our increasing number of hospitality clients.

"We couldn’t do it without the fantastic working relationships we have with Sky Sports, William Hill, Alexandra Palace and SeeTickets – all of whom play a critical part in delivering a successful event.

"When you look across the nominations in all categories, this shows the standing which the World Darts Championship now holds in world sport."

Other nominations in the category are Arena UK & Europe Mass Participation Team, Emirates Old Trafford (Lancashire CCC), Threshold Sports Operations Team and Villa Park operations team at Aston Villa.

The 2018 Sports Business Awards ceremony will take place on Friday June 1 in London. For more details, see www.sportsbusinessawards.co.uk.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Will there be a best crowd violence award?
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Is this the award they pay to be nominated for?
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
The Knowledge
The Ton Club

Post by The Knowledge »

How come the BDO have not been nominated?
You can all have my word now, it's never been our intention to take over the BDO, we have no intention of taking over the BDO,
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

The Knowledge wrote:How come the BDO have not been nominated?
They could, only £195 + VAT.

Madsocks
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

ifm wrote:
The Knowledge wrote:How come the BDO have not been nominated?
They could, only £195 + VAT.
:DDD: :DDD:

#buyyourewards.com
Last edited by Paddy McGinty on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

If we are honest it seems, on forums, it's when orgs make major errors and cock ups that we get the most debate. Best example : the glorious new era threads.

thus the problem with the post above re the pdc is that they are so professional in many ways. TV coverage announced in advance. Same with tickets that sell well.

and the comment re darts and Christmas now so linked: shows the marketing skill of the pdc.

So because, generally, the pdc do most things well there isn't much to say apart from well done. Or to nit pick and mock of course.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

devosteve wrote:If we are honest it seems, on forums, it's when orgs make major errors and cock ups that we get the most debate. Best example : the glorious new era threads.

thus the problem with the post above re the pdc is that they are so professional in many ways. TV coverage announced in advance. Same with tickets that sell well.

and the comment re darts and Christmas now so linked: shows the marketing skill of the pdc.

So because, generally, the pdc do most things well there isn't much to say apart from well done. Or to nit pick and mock of course.
Are you actually crying Marv?

Madsocks
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

So the PDC have won their paid for gold medal at the Sports Business Awards. For best Operations Team for the running of the event.

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2018/06/02/awar ... tions-team
Little Lonely Garry
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-14th December 2017- 1st January 2018

Rout wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:32 am
Murphio wrote:
Rout wrote:You're looking at it too narrow.

It's not about the small few quid the company charge or the small amount the pdc makes from it.

It's about the whole concept of legal touting and resale websites being used as a tool for people to run businesses with the sole purpose of buying in demand tickets before a genuine punter does and then asking that genuine punter for twice the value or more.

I think the event organisers need to act more ethically in how they deal with this. The absolute bare minimum I would expect is for them to disapprove of it. Whereas many (like in the example that started this debate) are now going further to protect fans by using a name match system or other methods to try and ensure the fans that buy the tickets are the ones wanting to go.

Instead of disapproving of this, the pdc are visually encouraging it by partnering with the sort of sites that are heavily used for this practice.

It's not something I've dreamt up, this being against legal touting thing. In the non sports entertainment world it's a long ongoing controversial matter that many high profile people have condemned. Particularly in the music world.
I'm looking at it too narrow? Seriously? You are lumping the PDC using ticket resellers - who may or may not add on modest percentages - in with those putting huge profit margins of 800 per cent or more on top of ticket prices. Your argumemt is utterly ridiculous. It's akin to saying pay day loan companies, which charge 5000 per cent apr, are no different than your local credit union which charges one per cent because they both 'profit' on the deal.

I asked you to tell me the profit margin on PDC tickets and you either can't or wont. That is the crux of the debate. You say you have a job; well in that case you sell your labour at a profit. Your employer then sells your labour to the customer at a profit. Like it or not that is how our economy works. Give me the figures and I will genuinely join you in condemning them if they are too wide.
Did you read past the first sentence? Id just be repeating myself to respond properly.

So Ok I give up you are quite right. Event organisers should be seen to encourage it's tickets to be purchased solely to sell on at much higher than the face value of the ticket. Noone cares about it. Its not a relevant topic at the moment at all. You win.
What a guy this Noone is
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Houston, we have a meltdown.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Seems the goo left a bad feeling.
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

goo?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

The goo this year has been the best for many years.