2018 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-14th December 2017- 1st January 2018

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Murphio
International

Re: 2018 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-14th December 2017- 1st January 2018

Post by Murphio »

The Jolly Man wrote:So why Jeff Smith and not John Part. Or Dawson Murschell?
Part has a tour card - if the PDC intends to hold World Series events in Canada they could pitch him in anyway. No idea if this has any basis but it's the only thing that makes sense. Giving the BDO two fingers doesn't seem an adequate explanation.
ChrisW
International

Re: 2018 PDC World Championship- Alexandra Palace, London-14th December 2017- 1st January 2018

Post by ChrisW »

BlueSpark wrote:He won't last long in it anyway.
Nice little payday for him.
He is a decent player and has a chance in that category of players.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Been thinking about this and talking to a few players and there is no logical reason for this at all, as for those thinking Canada is a business opportunity ripe for reaping give your head a shake, there was no market in the USA and the Canadians play there because it's crap back home.
It's either a deliberate grab for bdo players (most likely as they went for the pole) or a mistake.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Murphio wrote:
Ecky Thump wrote:
Murphio wrote:
Ecky Thump wrote:
Murphio wrote: While you have a point I am a little perplexed as to why they are going around the houses to give Jeff Smith a wildcard in this first place. Is is purely for the Canadian market or what's the craic?
Two fingers to the BDO is the point.
Really? With Jeff Smith? He is a decent/good player but he is hardly someone you are going to go out of your way to shoehorn into your world championship as two fingers to a rival.
Ex Lakeside finalist and current World cup winner. Metaphorical two fingers and mooning at the BDO.
Giving a place to Machin would be akin to shitting on their sandwiches, so surprised that hasn't happened.
If the PDC was genuinely interested in sticking two fingers up to the BDO why not offer Durrant a tour card? Barry Hearn was, in fact, quite clear the PDC would not interfere with the Lakeside contract (which they effectively did with Bunting). I think you do the PDC a disservice on this occasion - I think the org is too business orientated to be making decisions for such reasons. I am willing to bet that other than petty oneupmanship they see Canada as a potential market to exploit and Jeff Smith as someone who can help them do it.
Thats the whole point though

This is sticking 2 fingers up to the BDO by telling them "we can and will take your big name players" without actually messing with anything going on at Lakeside and messing with any contacts (Which is what giving Duzza the tour card would have done)

While getting Smith is an interesting story here its not going to rock the boat and not going to massively piss people as he hadnt qualified for Lakeside (and he had apparently already said his intention next season was to do PDC). Same with Ratajski, while its a coup for the PDC to rob the BDO of their masters winner he was always going to play at Ally pally regardless of how he did at Brid.

If they went out and tried to get a Duzza or someone like that you have

A - Declaration of all out war, going back to players being banned from this and that and a complete mess for the next two year

B - The red faces if someone like Duzza decides to say no
mapleleafdarts
Steady Sixties

Post by mapleleafdarts »

Murphio wrote:IE - the PDC has plans for Canada.
You know the PDC has plans for Canada. Bill Hatter at the World Matchplay? Only the beginning. Canada us a natural extension now that they're going back to the U.S.
mapleleafdarts
Steady Sixties

Post by mapleleafdarts »

Ginge wrote:Is this even shown on telly in Canada?
Sure, it's shown on TV here. We just get it six months after the fact. Rogers Sportsnet has the contract for Canada after taking it from TSN.
mapleleafdarts
Steady Sixties

Post by mapleleafdarts »

Addicks Fan wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:Can someone please ask the NFDC at what point they knew their rankings were being used for the pdc worlds.
Suspension from the WDF if they did know!
The WDF would do nothing to the NDFC.

If the WDF even hinted at something, Bill Hatter may as well cut his balls off because the NDFC would simply tell the WDF that they're leaving and would recognize the PDC as their organization of choice and implement the DRA as their rules overseer.

Olly Croft tried to force the NDFC's hand when he was in the process of banning the WDC players and was told to bugger off because:
a) they couldn't ban players as it would break labour laws in Canada and,
b) it would provide opportunities for players to play internationally.

The NDFC would also likely tell Hatter to never come to its AGM ever again.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

mapleleafdarts wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:Can someone please ask the NFDC at what point they knew their rankings were being used for the pdc worlds.

If the WDF even hinted at something, Bill Hatter may as well cut his balls off because the NDFC would simply tell the WDF that they're leaving and would recognize the PDC as their organization of choice and implement the DRA as their rules overseer.

Olly Croft tried to force the NDFC's hand when he was in the process of banning the WDC players and was told to bugger off because:

So do you think that NDFC was fully aware of what was going on before this invite was issued?
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Addicks Fan wrote:
mapleleafdarts wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:

So do you think that NDFC was fully aware of what was going on before this invite was issued?
And knowing at what point the NDFC knew will help us know whether the PDC have gone after the player or the region.

Jeff says he only found out the day before which makes me think the PDC have tried to shoehorn him in rather than working with the NDFC. Who if had known would surely have told its players that there was potential of an invite to PDC Worlds.
bukowski
Steady Sixties

Post by bukowski »

mapleleafdarts wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:

if youre so pssd then leave...

...btw. my personal annual fee for the wdf is 1$ and my tournament fee per year is 2$ cause i do not play more tourneys...thats an incredibly high amount for me 8-) ...i coulndt understand the moaning from the canadians about that topic few weeks ago...i'm sure a single player in canada pay not more than me for the wdf...especially if i read about the amount of money the ndfc get per year:
http://www.ndfc.ca/file.aspx?id=777007&dl=1

Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

ifm wrote:Been thinking about this and talking to a few players and there is no logical reason for this at all, as for those thinking Canada is a business opportunity ripe for reaping give your head a shake, there was no market in the USA and the Canadians play there because it's crap back home.
It's either a deliberate grab for bdo players (most likely as they went for the pole) or a mistake.

So it''s basically a virgin market then. You'd have thought that someone business minded would see it as untapped potential.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

North America has always been exempt from the Tomlin and pick your code rubbish due to their restriction of trade laws, it is the perfect place for someone with a few million to invest and create a viable TV tour.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

ifm wrote:Been thinking about this and talking to a few players and there is no logical reason for this at all, as for those thinking Canada is a business opportunity ripe for reaping give your head a shake, there was no market in the USA and the Canadians play there because it's crap back home.

It's no mistake Ian....
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Maybe it is a mistake, they wanted Jeff Smythe, gentlemen darts player from the Bullington Club, but they rang the wrong number and the name sounded similar and it went from there.
Big Jock Knew
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

nikkiboy wrote:North America has always been exempt from the Tomlin and pick your code rubbish due to their restriction of trade laws, it is the perfect place for someone with a few million to invest and create a viable TV tour.
I did not know that.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

nikkiboy wrote:North America has always been exempt from the Tomlin and pick your code rubbish due to their restriction of trade laws, it is the perfect place for someone with a few million to invest and create a viable TV tour.
The PDC broke it years ago so it's irrelevant.
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

ifm wrote:
Eh? Players in the US are able to play in WDF and PDC tournaments and cannot be excluded on the grounds of they played in this or that, it has always been the way in the US and is the reason why the first few PDC tournaments were top heavy with North American players. As far as I am aware nothing has changed.
bukowski
Steady Sixties

Post by bukowski »

nikkiboy wrote:
ifm wrote:
Eh? Players in the US are able to play in WDF and PDC tournaments and cannot be excluded on the grounds of they played in this or that, it has always been the way in the US and is the reason why the first few PDC tournaments were top heavy with North American players. As far as I am aware nothing has changed.
...it was changed when the 65 % rules for the regional and world cups started and now thats history and there are no restrictions...just the national body or federation can suspend players from their national teams if they play pdc or holding tourcard...
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

bukowski wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
ifm wrote:
...it was changed when the 65 % rules for the regional and world cups started and now thats history and there are no restrictions...just the national body or federation can suspend players from their national teams if they play pdc or holding tourcard...
That's what I thought, still think that North America is rife for investment and a profitable tour.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

I can't see Smith getting the place being in any way motivated by anti bdo sentiments.

there's no benefit in it as to 'weakening ' the bdo.

Now how they promote ratajski will be interesting.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.