Question for the statisticians

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Rout
International

Question for the statisticians

Post by Rout »

What are the odds on someone drawing the same player over a weekend in the first round, on the Friday night ET quals, then the two weekend pro tour events?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Question for the statisticians

Post by Ginge »

Rout wrote:What are the odds on someone drawing the same player over a weekend in the first round, on the Friday night ET quals, then the two weekend pro tour events?
Would need to know the number of entries in each of the 3 events (although two of them will probably be 128)

Also if either of the players concerned was seeded in any of the 3 events.
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Re: Question for the statisticians

Post by Rout »

If you went off this weekends numbers?

And neither player seeded.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Rout wrote:What are the odds on someone drawing the same player over a weekend in the first round, on the Friday night ET quals, then the two weekend pro tour events?
Well, certainly longer odds than the womens number one seed in the bdo, in fact longer than the Turkish open which the fanboys said was obvious cheating, why do you ask?
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Well an unseeded player can draw any other player in the draw (seeded or unseeded) first round in the Saturday so that would be a 1 in 127 chance.
Same again Sunday.
So that's 1/127 x 1/127 for the two weekend events.

1 in 16,129 just for those two alone? Could be wrong.
Friday is trickier as I don't know the numbers and there are byes to include.
Big Jock Knew
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

By my quick reckoning, it's 1/181.5 in the ET qualifying and 1/127 in the pro tours - assuming they aren't seeded.
So the chances of this happening would be 1 in 2,927,413.

I don't think this happened this weekend, or has it?
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

1 in 3 million? Is that right??

Wowza.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
26scored
Pub Champion

Post by 26scored »

Ginge wrote:Well an unseeded player can draw any other player in the draw (seeded or unseeded) first round in the Saturday so that would be a 1 in 127 chance.
Same again Sunday.
So that's 1/127 x 1/127 for the two weekend events.

1 in 16,129 just for those two alone? Could be wrong.
Friday is trickier as I don't know the numbers and there are byes to include.
My calculations for the Friday:

84 entries - 18 of which are seeds, 66 non-seeds
12 first round games - 24 players

So we need the chance of both players getting a first round game and then drawing each other.

By my reckoning this is 24/66 x 23/66 x 1/23 which is 1/181.5
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I'm intrigued as to which two PDC heavyweights who are having to play qualifiers the PDC are fixing draws for :)
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

ifm wrote:
Well, certainly longer odds than the womens number one seed in the bdo, in fact longer than the Turkish open which the fanboys said was obvious cheating, why do you ask?
Remind me what happened there? What went on and what were the odds?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Question for the statisticians

Post by Ginge »

Rout wrote:
ifm wrote:
Odds of that were in the billions, if I recall correctly.

But everyone had a good time so it didn't matter.
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Ginge wrote:
Rout wrote:
ifm wrote:

Which "heavyweights" were involved in that?
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Question for the statisticians

Post by Ginge »

Rout wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Rout wrote:
ifm wrote:

Which "heavyweights" were involved in that?
The Jacklins :D

Come on, tell us what you have spotted.
Big Jock Knew
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

Rout wrote:
ifm wrote:
Basically one competition nationalities avoided each other, the odds were made up so we don't know for certain what they were but either way it was technically possible, indeed it was proven by the software creator, however the fanboys went apoplectic with joy because they could run around fb and all the forums claiming it was rigged and there was cheating afoot.
Now if the odds are in the millions for one comp imagine what they would be for 3 comps consecutively!!!!!
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

My bet is that nothing is apparent and Rout has everyone getting their calculators out for no reason.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ifm wrote: Now if the odds are in the millions for one comp imagine what they would be for 3 comps consecutively!!!!!
Eh?
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

Scott Taylor and Richie Corner met in all 3 first round matches this weekend. Fri, Sat and Sun.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Rout wrote:Scott Taylor and Richie Corner met in all 3 first round matches this weekend. Fri, Sat and Sun.
They must have fixed it then, case closed.
Big Jock Knew
Rout
International

Post by Rout »

ifm wrote:
Rout wrote:
ifm wrote:
Basically one competition nationalities avoided each other, the odds were made up so we don't know for certain what they were but either way it was technically possible, indeed it was proven by the software creator, however the fanboys went apoplectic with joy because they could run around fb and all the forums claiming it was rigged and there was cheating afoot.
Now if the odds are in the millions for one comp imagine what they would be for 3 comps consecutively!!!!!
I am absolutely CERTAIN there will be the same level of hysteria about it now that the professional arm of the game has gone under the radar in this respect.
"Deserved Better"

GM, 2021.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

"odds in the millions for one comp"

Oh dear. First the decimal odds in the other thread, and now this. Ian's shocker with numbers today continues.
Big Jock Knew